U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-20-2017, 05:11 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 9,848,968 times
Reputation: 6580

Advertisements

I find it interesting that most of those saying the subway is horrible live where it doesn't go. Convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2017, 05:18 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I find it interesting that most of those saying the subway is horrible live where it doesn't go. Convenient.
Can tell you the subway is overrated. Those with options like MetroNorth, express buses or Uber have a *MUCH* nicer ride. No bums or crusties. No waiting for trains for an hour or more. No rats. Can list many other positives, but am thinking you get the point. If the breakdown of the subway system continues as it has for the *entire week* so far, am thinking you and others will wish you didn't have to use the subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
7,901 posts, read 6,472,299 times
Reputation: 7088
Yup. I live far from where subways are common because of that whole lifestyle. Not wanting to be packed in like a sardine with smelly, dirty commuters extends to not wanting to live in a dense, smelly, dirty neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 06:18 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Yup. I live far from where subways are common because of that whole lifestyle. Not wanting to be packed in like a sardine with smelly, dirty commuters extends to not wanting to live in a dense, smelly, dirty neighborhood.
Am in agreement. Though reside part-time in Manhattan, can usually opt for Uber or whatever or take the bus to where I need to go. Otherwise, can use MetroNorth, express bus, Uber, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 10:08 PM
 
Location: 2 blocks from bay in L.I, NY
1,588 posts, read 1,275,476 times
Reputation: 2482
Default That was true decades ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
NYC is pretty slim compared to most American cities, mostly b/c people walk a lot here and don't have cars. Yeah there are cabs and subways but NYC is a walking city.
That used to be the case. I'd say up until early 2000's and after that it seemed people's weight just started exploding upwards. You would think with all the subway stairs and walking from the subway to work or home, most wouldn't be big but they are. Now in NYC you'll see as many fat people as you see down south although the stats may say differently. There are lot of fat people in certain places upstate too, I've noticed but in Long Island, you'll see more thin people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 10:15 PM
 
Location: 2 blocks from bay in L.I, NY
1,588 posts, read 1,275,476 times
Reputation: 2482
Default Few Black Caribbeans are fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Yeah. I don't really know of any obese native New Yorkers. How can you when you have to walk everywhere?
Personally, I've never had a weight problem of any kind.

Most obese people are from the Midwest or from down south where you need a vehicle for everything - even to buy a pint of milk. But you hardly see any of those communities moving to NYC. The rest are from the Caribbean where diets may consist of fried foods - fried plantains, bread, etc. I believe this is what the OP refers to. In other words, another one of his/her racist troll posts.i
It's rare for a Black Caribbean person to be fat whether they live in this country or back in the Caribbean. Now Puerto Ricans, yes and Dominicans yes I've seen and know many that are fat but I can only think of one FAT Caribbean Black person that I know and I know plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 08:44 AM
 
8,141 posts, read 12,502,917 times
Reputation: 3954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
That used to be the case. I'd say up until early 2000's and after that it seemed people's weight just started exploding upwards. You would think with all the subway stairs and walking from the subway to work or home, most wouldn't be big but they are. Now in NYC you'll see as many fat people as you see down south although the stats may say differently. There are lot of fat people in certain places upstate too, I've noticed but in Long Island, you'll see more thin people.
Well LI isn't an urban setting which I feel better lends itself for recreational activities. There's no shortage of sports or runners or bikers within NYC but I think LI is a better environment for being active in general.


Still NYC is a lot slimmer than other regions of the country though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 11:52 AM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Well LI isn't an urban setting which I feel better lends itself for recreational activities. There's no shortage of sports or runners or bikers within NYC but I think LI is a better environment for being active in general.


Still NYC is a lot slimmer than other regions of the country though.
I live on Long Island, it's no slimmer than NYC (adjusted for income).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 12:18 PM
 
8,141 posts, read 12,502,917 times
Reputation: 3954
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I live on Long Island, it's no slimmer than NYC (adjusted for income).
No but it's a better place if you want more 'nature hike' type things. More open land, not as scary to take a bike around (biking in NYC scares me)... more open parkland for a run, more high school tracks... those kinds of things... more of a general athletic environment.


I love all the parks. I go nature hikes every wknd both on LI and in the Hudson Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 02:48 PM
 
296 posts, read 322,792 times
Reputation: 88
Cool lyla45

I'm thinking that obesity in NYC and all over the country it's a thing that everything to do with income inequality. They unseparated! It's just show that the more obesity we have, the more income inequality - at the same time .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top