Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 07:01 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,939,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Four most obese States (over 35% affected)
Louisiana36.2%
+/- 1.9%

Tied for second place:
2.Alabama 35.6%
+/- 1.5%

2.Mississippi 35.6%
+/- 1.9%

2.West Virgininia 35.6%

I have never understood the correlation between poverty and obesity. It seems counterintuitive to me. I eat out a lot because I can. The wealthier/secure I get (or feel) the more I eat in restaurants (I don't like take out or order in.) With a burst of wealth I would be tempted to eat 21 meals in restaurants.
<I am an excellent but lazy cook.>

Is it possible that generational poverty causes genetic change resulting in calorically THRIFTY genes?
The rationale is that impoverished people cannot afford the more expensive foods to eat. They are eating unhealthier foods because they are lower priced. Think junk , processed and fast foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 07:24 AM

12,776 posts, read 8,253,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
The rationale is that impoverished people cannot afford the more expensive foods to eat. They are eating unhealthier foods because they are lower priced. Think junk , processed and fast foods.
That's precisely it. Am here to tell you, eating well *costs*. Spent almost $100.00 the other day. Organic fruit and organic veggies and other basic staples.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:37 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,324,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
I've noticed too that when I eat unhealthy/ processed/ junk foods I'm actually hungrier afterwards. So I can imagine that one tends to eat more of it to feel full.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:10 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,691,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I've noticed too that when I eat unhealthy/ processed/ junk foods I'm actually hungrier afterwards. So I can imagine that one tends to eat more of it to feel full.
absolutely, you get crazy cravings after you eat let's say a 100 cal pack of oreos that you think is going to save you calories, but really makes you want to eat the whole fridge to chase the foor high of whatever Nabisco puts in there

Old 07-26-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Am in agreement. Key is to fill up on things with lots of fiber. Always bring organic blueberries, organic apples, organic blackberries as part of my lunch if not eating out... Whatever is in season. Fills you up and keeps you fuller longer.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am in agreement. Key is to fill up on things with lots of fiber. Always bring organic blueberries, organic apples, organic blackberries as part of my lunch if not eating out... Whatever is in season. Fills you up and keeps you fuller longer.
what does organic have one iota to do with feeling full? that's hilarious

the health benefits of organic fruit over properly washed traditionally farmed fruit are almost non-existent. Stuff your face with all the organics you want then step outside in NYC and take one breath of NYC fumes and you'll have ingested 100 times more chemicals that you tried to convince yourself you avoided

Old 07-26-2017, 11:34 AM

8,931 posts, read 4,748,927 times
Quote:
Also, veggies. Carrots, broccoli (esp) fill you up. You don't even have to eat that much of it. A little goes a long way. Unlike cookies, chips, sweets, you don't want to eat a whole bag of carrots.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
what does organic have one iota to do with feeling full? that's hilarious

the health benefits of organic fruit over properly washed traditionally farmed fruit are almost non-existent. Stuff your face with all the organics you want then step outside in NYC and take one breath of NYC fumes and you'll have ingested 100 times more chemicals that you tried to convince yourself you avoided
Am here to tell you, was at risk for health issues in the past. Was never *obese* or really even fat (thin for my size or whatever), but ate limited amounts of things like fruit. Never liked fruits on a large scale because thinking was things like apples were disgusting. Well guess what? When fruit is covered in chemicals, it *IS* disgusting. Nothing more delicious than an apple grown the way nature intended it to be. You can excuse the use of toxins in food if you wish, but humans weren't constructed to eat those things on a large scale. Can only comment on how *I FEEL*, and can tell you that have had times when I've become *violently* ill eating at places like Subway. Has been years since I've eaten at any such place, especially knowing what they put in their food. Body and skin looks *GREAT*. *FEEL GREAT* and look great. Am aging very well, and have to believe that my diet has a lot to do with it. Lived in the old country and ate like a king, the way humans should eat. Came back feeling so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Also, veggies. Carrots, broccoli (esp) fill you up. You don't even have to eat that much of it. A little goes a long way. Unlike cookies, chips, sweets, you don't want to eat a whole bag of carrots.
Am in agreement. Yesterday, threw together a very simple organic salad: organic arugula, organic cherry tomatoes and organic s h i t a k e mushrooms. Put the organic salad dressing on the side and threw together the salad when lunch time arrived. Had some organic blueberries with that, some GMO-free potato chips (small portion) and about three madelines (am a sucker for sweets ). Aside from an espresso or whatever, don't really drink much sugary drinks or add sugar to anything. Can add on calories *fast*. Things like organic sweetened tea are bought as a treat or whatever.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 07-26-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 11:51 AM

37,085 posts, read 39,272,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Sugar snaps!

Old 07-26-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Am here to tell you, was at risk for health issues in the past. Was never *obese* or really even fat (thin for my size or whatever), but ate limited amounts of things like fruit. Never liked fruits on a large scale because thinking was things like apples were disgusting. Well guess what? When fruit is covered in chemicals, it *IS* disgusting. Nothing more delicious than an apple grown the way nature intended it to be. You can excuse the use of toxins in food if you wish, but humans weren't constructed to eat those things on a large scale. Can only comment on how *I FEEL*, and can tell you that have had times when I've become *violently* ill eating at places like Subway. Has been years since I've eaten at any such place, especially knowing what they put in their food. Body and skin looks *GREAT*. *FEEL GREAT* and look great. Am aging very well, and have to believe that my diet has a lot to do with it. Lived in the old country and ate like a king, the way humans should eat. Came back feeling so good.
yikes, the placebo effect is in full force I see

You do realize that you're supposed to wash your fruits and vegetables, right?

And not for nothing the pesticide levels aren't as high in farming as they used to be. And back to the bigger picture we're talking insignificant trace amounts that pale in comparison to other environmental pollutants you can't avoid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City