U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 02:10 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,485,824 times

Advertisements

quote:
dear friend that's why soup kitchens exist. Go eat there instead of starving!

Soup kitchens in this city are nothing more than the lunchroom cafeterias of methadone clinics. no thank you. Have you ever been to one? Have you ever seen the fights? I'd rather not die of an infection from a stab wound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:41 PM

1,031 posts, read 990,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am in agreement. Can remember there being a smoking and non-smoking section.
Definitely. I was already waitressing in a "bar" when the smoking ban was passed in bars, I'm 38 and that was in my early 20s. I'm not a smoker, and damn was it nice to not leave work and smell like an ashtray, but I was against it because of how it was presented - it was presented as a protective measure for the employees. You don't go work in a place where a lot of people smoke and then cry about it - my bar was a comedy club so it didn't affect us as much, but a lot of friends who worked in real bars were hit pretty hard by it. If you want to say it's because we are cracking down on smoking, then go ahead....but don't drag me into this!

Old 07-28-2017, 03:47 PM

7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Definitely. I was already waitressing in a "bar" when the smoking ban was passed in bars, I'm 38 and that was in my early 20s. I'm not a smoker, and damn was it nice to not leave work and smell like an ashtray, but I was against it because of how it was presented - it was presented as a protective measure for the employees. You don't go work in a place where a lot of people smoke and then cry about it - my bar was a comedy club so it didn't affect us as much, but a lot of friends who worked in real bars were hit pretty hard by it. If you want to say it's because we are cracking down on smoking, then go ahead....but don't drag me into this!
Before smoking ban, can remember going to Coney Island High in the Village (now a condo ), getting on the subway late at night/morning with friends or whatever and smelling like an ashtray. That and ears buzzing from the loud sound of death metal. If familiar with Coney Island High, can figure out my age (roughly ). Also not a smoker and can tell you find the ban helpful inside, but outside, almost impossible to get fresh air. Cigarette smokers stand *in* the street or at the edge of the curb blowing their smoke around like no tomorrow, so if walking on the sidewalk, clothes can smell easily of the junk.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:12 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,114,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
dear friend that's why soup kitchens exist. Go eat there instead of starving!

Soup kitchens in this city are nothing more than the lunchroom cafeterias of methadone clinics. no thank you. Have you ever been to one? Have you ever seen the fights? I'd rather not die of an infection from a stab wound.
no I have not. If I knew where one was I would go. Save $ on groceries.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:22 AM

7,125 posts, read 5,493,619 times
Quote:
Yes, with water, nothing else. That is not going to wash off all of the crap they put on fruit. Just not going to happen. How do you know what the levels are? You only know what you are told.
If you can manage to put your conspiracy theories aside, this is a great read from Scientific American:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...es-food-fears/

You are wasting your money, but if you *think* you are making a difference then the placebo effect does have value and hey, spend your money however you want

major takeaways:

"there is nothing safe about the chemicals used in organic agriculture"

"not only were the organic [pesticides] more acutely toxic, studies have found that they are more chronically toxic as well"

"A review of the worldwide disease burden caused by chemicals found that 70% can be attributed to air pollution"

Old 08-01-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
If you can manage to put your conspiracy theories aside, this is a great read from Scientific American:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...es-food-fears/

You are wasting your money, but if you *think* you are making a difference then the placebo effect does have value and hey, spend your money however you want

major takeaways:

"there is nothing safe about the chemicals used in organic agriculture"

"not only were the organic [pesticides] more acutely toxic, studies have found that they are more chronically toxic as well"

"A review of the worldwide disease burden caused by chemicals found that 70% can be attributed to air pollution"
Again, can only say how *I* feel. Don't give a damn about what others say. Am here to tell you, body feels *GREAT*. Cannot tell me that eating the garbage served at Mickey D's or whatever is good for you.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Cannot tell me that eating the garbage served at Mickey D's or whatever is good for you.
obviously, McDonalds is garbage and White-Castle/Popeye's is a special kind of toxic waste. You should be eating complex grains and lots of fruits and vegetables, that is beyond dispute.

The point is that the "organic" pesticides used in USDA Organic produce are more toxic than synthetic pesticides and have ZERO demonstrated advantages to non-organic produce

Old 08-01-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
obviously, McDonalds is garbage and White-Castle/Popeye's is a special kind of toxic waste. You should be eating complex grains and lots of fruits and vegetables, that is beyond dispute.

The point is that the "organic" pesticides used in USDA Organic produce are more toxic than synthetic pesticides and have ZERO demonstrated advantages to non-organic produce
Again, have eaten GMO veggies and fruits. Tasted *HORRIBLE* and left me feeling sick. If you like eating them and feel fine, good for you. Cannot tell me that *I* should eat GMO fruits and veggies even though they make me feel violently ill. Am someone who grew up eating GMOs for YEARS. Am speaking from experience. Skin looks better. Have more energy, and the food tastes *great*!

Old 08-01-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Again, have eaten GMO veggies and fruits. Tasted *HORRIBLE* and left me feeling sick. If you like eating them and feel fine, good for you. Cannot tell me that *I* should eat GMO fruits and veggies even though they make me feel violently ill. Am someone who grew up eating GMOs for YEARS. Am speaking from experience. Skin looks better. Have more energy, and the food tastes *great*!
Talk about tangents, nobody was talking about GMOs. We were talking about regular fruits and vegetables labelled as organic or non-organic based on pesticide use.

If you want to talk GMO's great, the name "GMO" means nothing except that one or more genes with beneficial characteristics were spliced in. This is done at the seed level in a controlled laboratory and is the intelligent way to engineer better foods.

Before GMOs, people used "mutation breeding" which was basically bombarding seeds randomly with radiation until the full grown mutated plant showed a beneficial characteristic and other known or unknown damaging characteristics. These fruits and vegetables are currently being sold as organic.

You would rather have randomly mutated fruits & veggies instead of lab controlled ones?

That just doesn't compute

Old 08-01-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Talk about tangents, nobody was talking about GMOs. We were talking about regular fruits and vegetables labelled as organic or non-organic based on pesticide use.

If you want to talk GMO's great, the name "GMO" means nothing except that one or more genes with beneficial characteristics were spliced in. This is done at the seed level in a controlled laboratory and is the intelligent way to engineer better foods.

Before GMOs, people used "mutation breeding" which was basically bombarding seeds randomly with radiation until the full grown mutated plant showed a beneficial characteristic and other known or unknown damaging characteristics. These fruits and vegetables are currently being sold as organic.

You would rather have randomly mutated fruits & veggies instead of lab controlled ones?

That just doesn't compute
Don't have to talk about them. Am pretty sure they were in the *regular* fruits and vegetables that you ate too. Point is never felt great eating, tasted horrible and made me feel sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or