Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 08:41 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am in agreement, but some do it because they think it's cool to be outside smoking and socializing or whatever. Have a bunch of French folks that work on the one of the floors in my office building. Can tell you they are outside *non-stop* laughing and puffing. Can see them first thing in the morning, then on lunch break and anywhere in between.
I think most people are moving away from the "it's cool" mindset. There wasn't as much info about the health consequences back when as there is now.

Also I do think the European mentality toward it is different than the American mentality. As far as I know, @ least in NY anyway, you cannot smoke indoors anymore. Packs of cigs cost more than $10 now. Most Americans who do it, from my experience, do it is b/c they can't stop - not b/c they want to or b/c they think it is cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 08:44 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I think most people are moving away from the "it's cool" mindset. There wasn't as much info about the health consequences back when as there is now.

Also I do think the European mentality toward it is different than the American mentality. As far as I know, @ least in NY anyway, you cannot smoke indoors anymore. Packs of cigs cost more than $10 now. Most Americans who do it, from my experience, do it is b/c they can't stop - not b/c they want to or b/c they think it is cool.
Oh I don't know about that. Can take a stroll anywhere Downtown or in Midtown on one of the side streets and be *inundated* with nothing but people smoking all over the sidewalk, blowing that garbage everywhere. Often times, one has to walk in the street with the cars to attempt to breathe in something other than cigarette smoke. Have also seen those pipes becoming more popular. Walking down the street, suddenly there's a cloud in the air from someone who decided to take a puff and then blow it everywhere.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:44 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
You should go to other cities in America. You think people are fat in NYC? They are actually more in shape than a good portion of the country. I wonder how the OP can enjoy living in NYC if he is nitpicking every little thing. It is obvious he is unhappy with his situation.

The noise, the Dominicans, the food, the women, and now fat people. What's next?

Old 07-17-2017, 08:49 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You should go to other cities in America. You think people are fat in NYC? They are actually more in shape than a good portion of the country. I wonder how the OP can enjoy living in NYC if he is nitpicking every little thing. It is obvious he is unhappy with his situation.

The noise, the Dominicans, the food, the women, and now fat people. What's next?
Am in agreement. Can usually tell when someone isn't from here because they usually have a hard time walking and are quite overweight. Always like to watch the types from the Midwest or whatever wobble from side to side and get on their tour bus back to Small town USA or whatever.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:35 AM

343 posts, read 254,269 times
You think I am trolling because you all live in upscale neighborhoods where people are more mindful about what they consume. When is the last time you visited Washington Heights and road on a bus full of obese people? Believe me, not all of Manhattan is like the TV shows. Up in the Heights there are a lot more people that are obese in Harlem and uptown from there. No I do not live in a fancy apartment with rich people like many of you do so it is a different demographic that you never see. You are lucky to live such prosperous lives but unless you have lived in a scuzzy neighborhood you probably are unable to understand.

And I can agree about how you describe obesity in the suburbs. So I take that back. Come to think of it, it's bad out there and possibly worse because we do a lot of walking here in the city. But it does not make it right. It's just more trolling because nobody likes to hear the truth nor discuss anything wrong, they would rather just call people trolls.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:37 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Has the OP been to any other place in the US and not seen a trend? Obesity isn't a nyc problem, it's an America problem. We are a fat country. I was in Orlando for a business trip last week and played "count the FIT/healthy families." I think I saw 10 my entire time there...

Yes the quality of our mass produced/processed food is problem but the bigger issue are the portions. Just look at the calorie counts on the menus of restaurants- and I don't mean obvious fast food places, I mean sit down chain places like Olive Garden or Applebees. Also the fact that we are sedentary is a huge problem. You can't eat 5,000 calories a day and sit on your butt all day and not expect the population to become obese.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:37 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Yeah. I don't really know of any obese native New Yorkers. How can you when you have to walk everywhere?
Personally, I've never had a weight problem of any kind.

Most obese people are from the Midwest or from down south where you need a vehicle for everything - even to buy a pint of milk. But you hardly see any of those communities moving to NYC. The rest are from the Caribbean where diets may consist of fried foods - fried plantains, bread, etc. I believe this is what the OP refers to. In other words, another one of his/her racist troll posts.i

Old 07-17-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Yeah. I don't really know of any obese native New Yorkers. How can you when you have to walk everywhere?
Personally, I've never had a weight problem of any kind.

Most obese people are from the Midwest or from down south where you need a vehicle for everything - even to buy a pint of milk. But you hardly see any of those communities moving to NYC. The rest are from the Caribbean where diets may consist of fried foods - fried plantains, bread, etc. I believe this is what the OP refers to. In other words, another one of his/her racist troll posts.i
laughing out loud

oh please

Old 07-17-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Has the OP been to any other place in the US and not seen a trend? Obesity isn't a nyc problem, it's an America problem. We are a fat country. I was in Orlando for a business trip last week and played "count the FIT/healthy families." I think I saw 10 my entire time there...

Yes the quality of our mass produced/processed food is problem but the bigger issue are the portions. Just look at the calorie counts on the menus of restaurants- and I don't mean obvious fast food places, I mean sit down chain places like Olive Garden or Applebees. Also the fact that we are sedentary is a huge problem. You can't eat 5,000 calories a day and sit on your butt all day and not expect the population to become obese.
Ive said here before and will say it again I have traveled a ton.

Oh hey everybody, lets attack the guy who is health conscious. Down with the conscious thinkers!

Troll!

Old 07-17-2017, 09:52 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
You think I am trolling because you all live in upscale neighborhoods where people are more mindful about what they consume. When is the last time you visited Washington Heights and road on a bus full of obese people? Believe me, not all of Manhattan is like the TV shows. Up in the Heights there are a lot more people that are obese in Harlem and uptown from there. No I do not live in a fancy apartment with rich people like many of you do so it is a different demographic that you never see. You are lucky to live such prosperous lives but unless you have lived in a scuzzy neighborhood you probably are unable to understand.

And I can agree about how you describe obesity in the suburbs. So I take that back. Come to think of it, it's bad out there and possibly worse because we do a lot of walking here in the city. But it does not make it right. It's just more trolling because nobody likes to hear the truth nor discuss anything wrong, they would rather just call people trolls.
I live in Wash Heights and it's pretty mix. Not everyone in Wash Heights is overweight. I feel like you are actively looking for people that are fat and overweight to make yourself feel better.

Why are you so concern about another person being fat/overweight?? How does this affect your life? (Mind your own business, brah!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City