Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 12:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
That's NY state. Not NYC. I'm sure it's less than 23% in NYC.
It's 22% in NYC.

Obesity
In New York City, obesity is epidemic: more than half of adult New Yorkers are overweight (34%) or obese (22%). Data show that obesity begins early in life: nearly half of all elementary school children and Head Start children are not a healthy weight. In New York City, 1 in 5 kindergarten students, and 1 in 4 Head Start children, is obese.

Obesity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 12:53 PM

965 posts, read 1,113,177 times
Bish, I was on that bus. You trynna call me fat?

Old 07-17-2017, 01:06 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It's 22% in NYC.

Obesity
In New York City, obesity is epidemic: more than half of adult New Yorkers are overweight (34%) or obese (22%). Data show that obesity begins early in life: nearly half of all elementary school children and Head Start children are not a healthy weight. In New York City, 1 in 5 kindergarten students, and 1 in 4 Head Start children, is obese.

Obesity
So NYC is actually less obese. Imagine that.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:21 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
It is very Carb heavy. You have your meat, rice, plantain, casava.... it ads up fast. Also depending on the dish lots of fatty cuts of meats and oil and sugar used in those stews. It could be worse and always depends on the fish. Ex Jerk chicken or grilled king fish is going to be a healty option than curried goat.
But that's only a problem if you don't have the active lifestyle to offset the caloric intake. Carbs aren't bad, they provide a lot of energy which is necessary if you lead an active lifestyle. What's interesting is that in developing countries with "heavy" cuisine, there is isnt an obesity problem.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:37 PM

96 posts, read 91,876 times
I'm a NYC native and do see a lot of overweight/obese people. It's the sedentary life coupled with poor diets. There's high fructose corn syrup and other kinds of sugars in almost all our foods. It's also not that accessible for many people to get exercise in a lot of the communities especially poor ones. Children only get 1 PE period per week and a limited amount of time at recess at school. It's a complex issue that will be tough to solve because these companies that manufacture these "foods" have deep pockets and lobbyists. Many of our jobs are also sedentary.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:41 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
I am 5'2, 110lbs so I am certainly not obese by any means. That said, other people on a bus being obese really has no effect on me. Most people are not THAT BIG that they take up an entire bus seat. As long as I am able to sit down on a bus with no problems, I don't really give a sh*t what the person next to me looks like.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:53 PM

8,678 posts, read 11,067,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I am 5'2, 110lbs so I am certainly not obese by any means. That said, other people on a bus being obese really has no effect on me. Most people are not THAT BIG that they take up an entire bus seat. As long as I am able to sit down on a bus with no problems, I don't really give a sh*t what the person next to me looks like.
No effect since you are small....and a female (or is it little boy? )......NYC bus and subway seats are a bit small. As I noted, when an obese person's blubber slams next to you, its bad. Even worse, when an obese person, squeeze into the middle seat of a three seater....aka the sandwich seat....the math doesn't add up!

Old 07-17-2017, 02:03 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
No effect since you are small....and a female (or is it little boy? )......NYC bus and subway seats are a bit small. As I noted, when an obese person's blubber slams next to you, its bad. Even worse, when an obese person, squeeze into the middle seat of a three seater....aka the sandwich seat....the math doesn't add up!
hahhaa, I guess. I don't take public transit within Manhattan... only from LI to it.

Walking I don't deal with blubber hitting against me ha. There are some biggos on the LIRR sometimes but I never get a seat anyway so it doesn't make a difference.

I am small so I just push my way onto the trains because I can.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:41 PM

19,024 posts, read 13,932,533 times
I have no problem with obesity rates being high. The fatter the population, the less competition for me when the zombie apocalypse comes!

Dinner tonight was venison steak with onions and mushrooms and a salad. It's not complicated people. Eat real food! Processed food is not natural and shouldn't be going down your pipe (well, not regularly at least).

I eat a LOT, I drink a LOT and I have dessert every night. But I work out intensely (I worked out with a full plate vest and 6 loaded pistol magazines today), stay active on my time off, eat mainly natural foods (much of which I shot or grew), and always consume vegetables and whole fruits. It's not rocket science. You just have to care about your body enough to do it. I'm 39 and usually get pegged for 25-30. That's not by accident.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:45 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It's not complicated people. Eat real food! Processed food is not natural and shouldn't be going down your pipe (well, not regularly at least).

I eat a LOT, I drink a LOT and I have dessert every night. But I work out intensely (I worked out with a full plate vest and 6 loaded pistol magazines today), stay active on my time off, eat mainly natural foods (much of which I shot or grew), and always consume vegetables and whole fruits. It's not rocket science. You just have to care about your body enough to do it. I'm 39 and usually get pegged for 25-30. That's not by accident.
Am in agreement and am thinking you need to set up a consultation with Kefir King. He *swears* by cheap *highly processed* TV dinners and other cheap garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City