U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 08:23 PM

5,392 posts, read 5,638,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
There a whole lot of Vietnamese folks in NYC.. just take a look up of Vietnamese Restaurants/Food providers. Just maybe do some research because IF you want to assimilate with your own kind.. best look up just where they chose to locate~~
https://www.languagetrainers.com/vie...s-new-york.php

Here's the Vietnamese profile for NYC.. ~ Older STATS going over half decade.. so must assume there's an increase since then!!
http://www.aafny.org/cic/briefs/vietnamese.pdf

AS for the rest of the STATE~~
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_York

Lots of OLD stats.. But one thing I have noticed in my Lifetime is Vietnamese people are VERY low profile and tho very friendly went dealing with them.. THEy don't make any waves and create any behaviours that single them out!! Quietly support each other and mind their own business types :-)
A lot of those are vietnamese chinese, and in those restaurants they speak chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 08:24 PM

2,413 posts, read 1,317,643 times
Philly has very good Vietnamese restaurants.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 PM

Actually I always wondered what the percentage is for vietnamese and chinese vietnamese.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese also run the Thai restaurants

Old 07-17-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese also run the Thai restaurants
They do run a lot of them, and japanese sushi restaurants. I even know a korean restaurant in Englewood Cliffs NJ that is run by chinese who speak korean.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:30 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
They do run a lot of them, and japanese sushi restaurants. I even know a korean restaurant in Englewood Cliffs NJ that is run by chinese who speak korean.
Before Mexicans came to New York in large numbers, they even opened up a lot of "Mexican" restaurants

Old 07-17-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Before Mexicans came to New York in large numbers, they even opened up a lot of "Mexican" restaurants
Never knew that.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:47 PM

7,048 posts, read 7,615,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
North Koreans? I heard there are quite a handful of North Koreans who speak Chinese. Or vice versa...Chinese who lived near the border who speaks Korean and Chinese. I thought it was very interesting

Old 07-17-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
North Koreans? I heard there are quite a handful of North Koreans who speak Chinese. Or vice versa...Chinese who lived near the border who speaks Korean and Chinese. I thought it was very interesting
I dont know. I also know the Woo Chon on Kissena in Flushing can also speak both chinese and korean. One of the waiters is actually part mexican, and lives in Corona.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:41 PM

20,109 posts, read 21,722,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine91 View Post
I'm Vietnamese and always liked the east coast and wanted to live there. I liked New York when I visited but one thing I noticed when I was there was no authentic Vietnamese restaurants or a Vietnamese population. I looked it up and Philadelphia actually has a larger Vietnamese population than New York in percent and total numbers. There was a Little Saigon and a very large Vietnamese community and I felt more at home there. Boston also has a sizable Vietnamese population as well in the city and the suburbs. On a whole, I like New York better but I feel like as someone who wants to keep in touch with my culture, I'd prefer somewhere with people like me. Why is there so few Vietnamese in New York when there is a large overall Asian population? Are there any neighborhoods in New York with Vietnamese that I'm missing out on?
As other people have stated, there's not much of a coherent Vietnamese community in NYC. Chinatown has an area with a number of Vietnamese restaurants and stores, but those are mostly run by Chinese from Vietnam (some from families who have lived in Vietnam for generations often with some Vietnamese ancestry). As far as I know, there's no sizable Vietnamese community in NYC except for a small recent immigrant community in and around Kingsbridge Heights in the Bronx and probably other scattered communities. For the East Coast, it's pretty much bits of Boston and South Philly. While those cities/metros have similar total numbers of Vietnamese, NYC has the community scattered geographically and socially whereas larger intact communities exist in Boston and Philadelphia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Not really North Koreans, it's mostly ethnic Koreans that have been in the parts of China (part of a region formerly known as Manchuria) that migrated there first economically and then politically after Japan's annexation of Japan and then further reinforced by the turmoil of the Korean War, and now to a much lesser degree, the refugee from North Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or