Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 12,945 times

Advertisements

I'm Vietnamese and always liked the east coast and wanted to live there. I liked New York when I visited but one thing I noticed when I was there was no authentic Vietnamese restaurants or a Vietnamese population. I looked it up and Philadelphia actually has a larger Vietnamese population than New York in percent and total numbers. There was a Little Saigon and a very large Vietnamese community and I felt more at home there. Boston also has a sizable Vietnamese population as well in the city and the suburbs. On a whole, I like New York better but I feel like as someone who wants to keep in touch with my culture, I'd prefer somewhere with people like me. Why is there so few Vietnamese in New York when there is a large overall Asian population? Are there any neighborhoods in New York with Vietnamese that I'm missing out on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 05:51 PM

33,402 posts, read 46,846,764 times
Not Vietnamese I know, but there is a Cambodian presence around Kingsbridge Road in the Bronx.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-17-2017, 05:56 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,348,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine91 View Post
I'm Vietnamese and always liked the east coast and wanted to live there. I liked New York when I visited but one thing I noticed when I was there was no authentic Vietnamese restaurants or a Vietnamese population. I looked it up and Philadelphia actually has a larger Vietnamese population than New York in percent and total numbers. There was a Little Saigon and a very large Vietnamese community and I felt more at home there. Boston also has a sizable Vietnamese population as well in the city and the suburbs. On a whole, I like New York better but I feel like as someone who wants to keep in touch with my culture, I'd prefer somewhere with people like me. Why is there so few Vietnamese in New York when there is a large overall Asian population? Are there any neighborhoods in New York with Vietnamese that I'm missing out on?
There a whole lot of Vietnamese folks in NYC.. just take a look up of Vietnamese Restaurants/Food providers. Just maybe do some research because IF you want to assimilate with your own kind.. best look up just where they chose to locate~~
https://www.languagetrainers.com/vie...s-new-york.php

Here's the Vietnamese profile for NYC.. ~ Older STATS going over half decade.. so must assume there's an increase since then!!
http://www.aafny.org/cic/briefs/vietnamese.pdf
Quote:
Of the population in the city, 31 percent (4,011) lived in Brooklyn, followed closely by Queens (with 29 percent, or 3,737) and the Bronx (25 percent, or 3,289). Smaller numbers lived in Manhattan (13 percent, or 1,684) and Staten Island (2 percent, or 289). In contrast, Asian Americans as a group were concentrated in Queens (with 50 percent), and significantly represented in Brooklyn (24 percent) and Manhattan (18 percent). Smaller populations of Asians were found in the Bronx (6 percent) and Staten Island (3 percent).
AS for the rest of the STATE~~
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_York

Lots of OLD stats.. But one thing I have noticed in my Lifetime is Vietnamese people are VERY low profile and tho very friendly went dealing with them.. THEy don't make any waves and create any behaviours that single them out!! Quietly support each other and mind their own business types :-)

Last edited by Lyndarn; 07-17-2017 at 06:05 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 06:11 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,394,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
There a whole lot of Vietnamese folks in NYC.. just take a look up of Vietnamese Restaurants/Food providers. Just maybe do some research because IF you want to assimilate with your own kind.. best look up just where they chose to locate~~
https://www.languagetrainers.com/vie...s-new-york.php

Here's the Vietnamese profile for NYC.. ~ Older STATS going over half decade.. so must assume there's an increase since then!!
http://www.aafny.org/cic/briefs/vietnamese.pdf

AS for the rest of the STATE~~
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_York

Lots of OLD stats.. But one thing I have noticed in my Lifetime is Vietnamese people are VERY low profile and tho very friendly went dealing with them.. THEy don't make any waves and create any behaviours that single them out!! Quietly support each other and mind their own business types :-)
A lot of those Vietnamese places are owned by Chinese people as well as white hipsters

And your stats are for Asians in NYC, not Vietnamese people in particular

Old 07-17-2017, 06:26 PM

252 posts, read 344,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine91 View Post
I feel the same way as you. I'm vietnamese as well and I just moved here from California and there is absolutely no "vietnamese" community. It's all taken over by chinese. You will see vietnamese people but it won't feel like you're surrounded by them by any means.

There are vietnamese restaurants but it sucks. Aimed specifically for tourists and non vietnamese folks who don't know any better in regards to taste. We drive all the way to philadelphia for good vietnamese food. There is a community in philadelphia but not in NYC. It boggled my mind when I first got here as well. I would've thought a place like NYC would have it with all it's diversity and dense population but...no.

I live in Bensonhurst and it's all chinese. haha. nothing wrong with that but just to provide you with an answer to your post, you're right. You won't find a big "vietnamese community" here.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:37 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,254,595 times
Many Vietnamese came as refugees rather than as illegal immigrants, so you'll see their communities more prevalent in middle American cities. In NYC, and for Southeast Asians in general, the largest concentration will be in Elmhurst and Woodside.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:55 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,422,561 times
you have to go to south philly

Old 07-17-2017, 07:14 PM

782 posts, read 522,842 times
I heard that most Vietnamese restaurants in NYC are owned by ethnic Chinese (possibly from Vietnam).

Quote:
There are vietnamese restaurants but it sucks. Aimed specifically for tourists and non vietnamese folks who don't know any better in regards to taste. We drive all the way to philadelphia for good vietnamese food. There is a community in philadelphia but not in NYC. It boggled my mind when I first got here as well. I would've thought a place like NYC would have it with all it's diversity and dense population but...no.
I think this is a pretty common misconception...that because NYC is so big and dense, it has good everything when in reality it has its weaknesses just like any other city. I agree that Vietnamese food isn't very good here. I've had it in Philly. Heard the DC area is strong too.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 PM

5 posts, read 12,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
you have to go to south philly
I think so. Even though I like New York, I need somewhere to remind me of home. I liked South Philly a lot and the large Vietnamese population.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:20 PM

8,618 posts, read 10,993,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I heard that most Vietnamese restaurants in NYC are owned by ethnic Chinese (possibly from Vietnam).
Its not uncommon to meet Vietnamese who is ethnically Chinese. I met quite a handful in NYC during my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: