U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 07:24 PM

12 posts, read 25,329 times

Advertisements

Hello. I posted this in another forum and people thought I was a troll. No idea why. So here goes...

I've always wanted to live in Manhattan. Now that I've worked my ass off for the last 5 years, I can get a job in Manhattan for 230k/yr (healthcare). I calculated the taxes and my net income should be around 145k (via this: https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-york-tax-calculator) or 109k! (via this: New York Payroll Calculator :: Calculate net paycheck, state and federal taxes, estimate salary in New York). Would that be enough to rent a 1br in Manhattan (Upper East) and preferably mortgage a 1br (or 2br) apartment a year later there? I know it would be enough. I know the rent runs around $3500-4000. But I am just wondering if there any hidden costs (maintenance, food, electricity..etc) that I am not aware of that may make it difficult to survive there on the long run. I am single.

In short, is my dream of living in Manhattan too ambitious in regards to my income?

Any serious input will be appreciated. Thanks!

Also, any idea which calculator is correct for NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 09:14 PM

1,846 posts, read 1,263,552 times
"on the long run"

It should be "in the long run".

No, you are doomed.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:44 PM

12 posts, read 25,329 times
Sorry, smartass.
A typo after a long day's work.
You didn't add any meaningful insight though.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:13 PM

2,696 posts, read 1,877,107 times
You must be new to the United States.

There is really no where in this country where you cannot EASILY survive on 230k a year salary.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:17 AM

32,037 posts, read 32,825,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHH3 View Post
Hello. I posted this in another forum and people thought I was a troll. No idea why. So here goes...

I've always wanted to live in Manhattan. Now that I've worked my ass off for the last 5 years, I can get a job in Manhattan for 230k/yr (healthcare). I calculated the taxes and my net income should be around 145k (via this: https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-york-tax-calculator) or 109k! (via this: New York Payroll Calculator :: Calculate net paycheck, state and federal taxes, estimate salary in New York). Would that be enough to rent a 1br in Manhattan (Upper East) and preferably mortgage a 1br (or 2br) apartment a year later there? I know it would be enough. I know the rent runs around $3500-4000. But I am just wondering if there any hidden costs (maintenance, food, electricity..etc) that I am not aware of that may make it difficult to survive there on the long run. I am single.

In short, is my dream of living in Manhattan too ambitious in regards to my income?

Any serious input will be appreciated. Thanks!

Also, any idea which calculator is correct for NYC?
Hidden costs no, but well known costs yes. That income should be sufficient for a good lifestyle for a single person in Manhattan. Besides, rent (or mortgage), one needs to pay for electricity, internet, phone/cellphone service and in some apts. for cooking gas. The cost of food will depend if you plan on cooking your own meals or eating out a lot. Also one needs to figure in transportation costs into one's monthly budget and whatever entertainment costs you plan on.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:51 AM

12,694 posts, read 8,631,419 times
It's a ladder game, when you meet millionaires that complain about struggling here because they can't keep up with other multimillionaires. The same applies to folks making less.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:27 AM

532 posts, read 552,234 times
nice troll post
you are making 250k a year and you think you won't survive in Manhattan

Old 07-18-2017, 06:32 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,003,999 times
No that's no where enough to survive anywhere in this country.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:42 AM

2,536 posts, read 1,887,306 times
For a single person, I think you have enough. However, you do want to manage your money closely because if you don't you may not be able to survive in the long run. You want to calculate where you spend your most money at. I feel like people making more money tends to overlook their spending, like going to bar every night or buying all unnecessary items.

Although you have 240k (in my opinion, that's a lot), don't just spend it, try to save as much as possible. This way, if bad time comes, such as losing the job, become disable, accident, etc... you get the point.

Remember, you are the only one that can really take care of yourself. Don't assume people will be there to help you take care of your problem when hard time hit. Of course, I can be wrong.

I would rather be safe than sorry.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:55 AM

198 posts, read 90,042 times
It could be tight trying to buy a place on that. You'll need to look at co-ops and watch out for maintenance. Life won't be glamorous but you won't be hurting. Prepare for feeling very poor when you encounter people making 100 times what you make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or