U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 03:12 AM

697 posts, read 1,426,411 times

Advertisements

Astoria and Sunnyside are the most desirable neighborhoods on your list. The 7 train, which has had major issues as of recent, runs through Sunnyside so that might give an edge to Astoria, which has two train lines within proximity. Astoria has the best assortment of bars/restaurants in Queens. Sunnyside isn't too bad itself but is much smaller so it will have less in quantity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 03:29 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,676,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Not to mention *BORING*. OP would have a seizure from boredom.
Rego Park is between Elmhurst and Forest Hills. All three neighborhoods wouldn't be any more boring than the typical outerboro neighborhood.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:32 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,676,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Maspeth also sounds horrendously boring.
Main issue is that there is no subway in Maspeth. But as for boring, Maspeth happens to be between Williamsburg and Elmhurst. Two very interesting neighborhoods from two very different viewpoints.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:48 AM

747 posts, read 268,614 times
Most neighborhoods should be doable with your budget and living with roommates. The best thing to do is to look at which subway lines are convenient for your work and go from there. I would target a one-seat ride if possible (meaning no transfers). Greenpoint is a great neighborhood for young people but the G line doesn't go into Manhattan and you will have to transfer at least once to get to midtown. Might be worth it to live in that neighborhood but it's your call.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:24 AM

878 posts, read 535,212 times
If you have been particularly eyeing Mott Haven, I assume you've done your research and weighed all pros and cons; so I'll only speak on the transit. From a price and location standpoint, you aren't going to get a better deal.

I live in a section of Mott Haven that's serviced by both the 7th Avenue line (2) and Lexington Avenue line (5) both of which is about a 20 minute ride to Midtown, sometimes even faster than that during off-peak hours. Its proximity gets you really quick access to Hell's Kitchen, Astoria, UES, LES, UWS, LWS, Midtown, Washington Heights, Inwood, LIC among other neighborhoods in just 30 minutes time or less.

If you're into the Uptown night life the BX 19 takes you straight crosstown to all other train lines that service that area (A, C and 1) Connection to the B, D and 3 is also available.

Mott Haven is an accessible neighborhood as far as transit goes. Gets me wherever I need to go to in no time, and isn't too deep in the Bronx where taking a taxi / Uber isn't outrageous. I've gotten to take a $4 Uber all the way from 14th Street (with that package of course, but still. Didn't expect to not have to pay an overage.)

That's about it as far as pros go for the neighborhood, aside from being cheap.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:36 AM

7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
If you have been particularly eyeing Mott Haven, I assume you've done your research and weighed all pros and cons; so I'll only speak on the transit. From a price and location standpoint, you aren't going to get a better deal.

I live in a section of Mott Haven that's serviced by both the 7th Avenue line (2) and Lexington Avenue line (5) both of which is about a 20 minute ride to Midtown, sometimes even faster than that during off-peak hours. Its proximity gets you really quick access to Hell's Kitchen, Astoria, UES, LES, UWS, LWS, Midtown, Washington Heights, Inwood, LIC among other neighborhoods in just 30 minutes time or less.

If you're into the Uptown night life the BX 19 takes you straight crosstown to all other train lines that service that area (A, C and 1) Connection to the B, D and 3 is also available.

Mott Haven is an accessible neighborhood as far as transit goes. Gets me wherever I need to go to in no time, and isn't too deep in the Bronx where taking a taxi / Uber isn't outrageous. I've gotten to take a $4 Uber all the way from 14th Street (with that package of course, but still. Didn't expect to not have to pay an overage.)

That's about it as far as pros go for the neighborhood, aside from being cheap.
Am thinking you must live by *the Hub*. Good for transportation if one wants to be close to the subway, but overpriced for what it is. The entire area is disgusting. Subway station smells to high heavens, with rats often on the platform. Actually prefer parts of Melrose over that area, which is saying something.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:04 AM

878 posts, read 535,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am thinking you must live by *the Hub*. Good for transportation if one wants to be close to the subway, but overpriced for what it is. The entire area is disgusting. Subway station smells to high heavens, with rats often on the platform. Actually prefer parts of Melrose over that area, which is saying something.
That IS saying something coming from you. I literally laughed out loud. But you're assessment is absolutely right. I am right by the Hub shy of a 5 minute walk to 3rd Avenue. I'm so used to the nonsense. I can't lie though, my commute is just so easy and straight forward. I'll just have to hope all of the other problems just "disappear" over time.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:13 AM

7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
That IS saying something coming from you. I literally laughed out loud. But you're assessment is absolutely right. I am right by the Hub shy of a 5 minute walk to 3rd Avenue. I'm so used to the nonsense. I can't lie though, my commute is just so easy and straight forward. I'll just have to hope all of the other problems just "disappear" over time.
Am thinking it will get better over time. Am just speaking from experience. Can tell you Melrose just a few years ago was a hellhole too. Has become a bit more working class in some parts. Of course the projects are what they are, but can see some improvement with affordable housing buildings filling what used to be vacant lots. Have to applaud the City for picking better quality materials and colors that don't scream *LOW INCOME HOUSING*. Lots of Africans, some Dominicans, long time African-Americans and of course Puerto Ricans. Have seen more whites walking around as well, albeit mainly for work, but just a few years ago, wouldn't see any unless walking by the courthouses along 161st, so something is happening for sure. Helps that the NYPD is along the main drag. Still quality of life issues, but not nearly as bad. Actually don't feel too unsafe walking over there versus Mott Haven. Never feel threatened per se, but something about that stretch doesn't sit well with me (along Third Avenue going towards 149th). Have walked down Third a few times and can tell you people *know* when you're from the area or whatever, so get the looks. No, am not the po-po or the 5-0. *LOL* Also get the sense that there is some drug dealing going on there. Once saw someone speeding down Third Avenue in a Maserati or a Lamborghini (forget which one), but not a car you see everyday, let alone in that neck of the woods. Guy driving in the car clearly knew people from the area and would slow down to wave or whatever or give a pound from afar. Did not look like a 9-5 type either, so could only assume he had some sort of hustle or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or