Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 10:33 PM

3 posts, read 8,966 times

Advertisements

Hi we are relocating from Arlington, TX. I'll be working at JFK and my husband in Manhattan. What areas are decently priced and located close to necessities -grocery stores, transportation? I realize we will be downgrading from our 3000 sq ft home to a much smaller apartment for the same or more in rent. Please give suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
JPitts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 05:25 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Please give us a budget! How large a home do you want? Do you want an apartment or a house? How much of a commute will you tolerate?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:35 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Many flight attendants live in Kew Gardens, Queens, as it's close to JFK. There are also people who live there who commute to Manhattan, but the commute to midtown Manhattan is easiest. If your husband is working on Wall Street, this makes the commute much longer.

If you go to Queens Central Forums there have been some conversations on there recently about commuting to Manhattan.

Who can handle a longer commute - you or your husband?

We need more info!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:54 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
I don't know what you consider "decently priced", but I would like to suggest Long Beach (Nassau County). It is 15 minutes to JFK by car & 55 minutes to Penn Station or downtown Bklyn by Long Island RR.

You would also get the benefit of a beautiful beach & boardwalk, a trendy town with good restaurants, excellent boating & fishing. There are several condo/coop & rental buildings along the boardwalk or you could find a nice house, too.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 PM

My husband would probably take the longer commute... we will probably bring at least one of our vehicles... His job in Manhattan would be at 388 Greenich I believe. We're looking for at least a 2 bedroom apartment, we would rent a house if possible. I do have a house full of furniture now. I want to be in an area that doesn't have a high crime rate, pretty diverse.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:36 PM

Still working on a budget, trying to determine if we will keep our home in TX as well. We'd want at least a 2 bedroom apartment to start, and will probably wait on purchasing a home, but if we could rent one until we get the lay of the land that would be great. My husband would tolerate a longer commute than I, but if we are close to train that makes it more convenient for either that would be great... daughter is in college, so she'd only visit during summers or breaks, so it will just be the two of us

Old 03-13-2008, 01:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
I think you would do well to stay along the E train in Queens. Neighborhoods I would recommend (depending on your likes and dislikes) are Jackson Heights, Forest Hills and Kew Gardens. Your husband could take the E train all the way to Canal Street and have a bit of a walk (maybe 5-7 minutes?) on the other end. He would be on the subway for around 30-45 minutes I believe, but you could check this on the mta trip planner.

You could take the E train the opposite direction to the end of the line in Queens where you can then catch the air train to JFK. You ride would be much shorter - again, check the trip planner.

I wrote alot about Jackson Heights in this thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...nt-advice.html

You could try searching for the other two neighborhoods on here as well.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:17 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,009 times
Henna is correct about the E train in Queens that is a good option to focus on. This would be ideal for both, the area around the E train (Queens Blvd) is mostly high rise co-ops and apartment buildings. Another possibility is Howard Beach Queens, this is a more suburban area, with one or two family homes. The A train could take your husband to Manhattan from the Howard Beach station and Howard Beach borders JFK so your commute would be a ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: