U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:28 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,658,442 times

Advertisements

There are some very nice hostels in Manhattan. Most have private rooms available. Check the link below.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g...rk-Hotels.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 09:32 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,557,594 times
Just because someone is young and solo-traveling doesn't mean they want to stay @ hostels...

Maybe it's something the OP isn't into.

I do think Manhattan is where he should stay though as opposed to NJ. It's more accessible to everything and, it's fun to just be like right in the center of it all.

Plus subways run all night and as much as I hate them, they are pretty convenient.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:22 AM

4,801 posts, read 4,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakshooter View Post
i haven't planned to stay longer in Manhatten than midnight. So there aren't problems else? And it's not dangerous to walk alone in Weehawken/Union City at midnight?
Have you looked at rooms in Brooklyn/Queens?

Old 07-20-2017, 10:27 AM

894 posts, read 922,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Have you looked at rooms in Brooklyn/Queens?
I agree there are very inexpensive AirBNBs in the outer boroughs in safe areas and easily accessible to the city via Subway or even Uber/Lyft, unlike NJ transit, why NJ?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:02 AM

7 posts, read 2,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
I agree there are very inexpensive AirBNBs in the outer boroughs in safe areas and easily accessible to the city via Subway or even Uber/Lyft, unlike NJ transit, why NJ?
Okay, so NJ is not a recommendation.
I've looked in Brooklyn too and there are interesting appartments, so this is also an option.
Some rooms in NJ have a beautiful view of the skyline that's the reason why I'm asking about an appartment in NJ.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I've looked in Brooklyn too and there are interesting appartments, so this is also an option.
Some rooms in NJ have a beautiful view of the skyline that's the reason why I'm asking about an appartment in NJ.
By all means do a daytrip to Hoboken, NJ - some of the best views and the town is fun with lots of shops, restaurants, bars, cute brunch places... take a walk along the river to view the skyline, spend some time in Sinatra Park... the only reason I say don't stay there @ night is the lack of transportation options running late night to NJ.

Also you are 18... here you need to be 21 for bars, so keep that in mind.

Brooklyn could be a good bet. The subways run all night to the outer boros.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:45 AM

7 posts, read 7,376 times
I recommend Hi New York international hostel. Even is a bit far and is in Harlem, you'll find bunch of travelers just like yourself, is easy to meet people and make friends.

I stays there a few nights when I was looking for rooms to rent when I first came here.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:56 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,905,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redonion View Post
I recommend Hi New York international hostel. Even is a bit far and is in Harlem, you'll find bunch of travelers just like yourself, is easy to meet people and make friends.

I stays there a few nights when I was looking for rooms to rent when I first came here.
I have stayed there. Best hostel in Manhattan.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:20 PM

4,801 posts, read 4,702,389 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be too worried about the view if you plan on traveling around the city and seeing different sites. Plenty of places to get a view of the city from when you're making your way around. I'd stick to places within walking distance of the subway. If you're unsure of the location in terms of safety, just ask someone about the area. Then you can stay out without worrying about getting back before the last bus/train/whatever.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redonion View Post

Harlem isn't the best of areas... better than it used to be but I would not walk around there @ night by myself. Granted I'm a woman, maybe it's different for a guy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or