Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 02:36 PM

115 posts, read 138,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Sounds like a bad neighborhood. Is that the case?
I don't know. "Bad" is subjective. But it is possible to be fine with renting somewhere, but not want to commit to buying in that area. I believe people also have to live in these affordable purchases for x amount of years before they can get their money back selling. He didn't want to commit to 10-15 years in a neighborhood far from his job that he's only "meh" about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 06:19 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc2222 View Post
I don't know. "Bad" is subjective. But it is possible to be fine with renting somewhere, but not want to commit to buying in that area. I believe people also have to live in these affordable purchases for x amount of years before they can get their money back selling. He didn't want to commit to 10-15 years in a neighborhood far from his job that he's only "meh" about.
Thank you for sharing these valuable information!

Old 07-23-2017, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 4,947 times
I went up there recently and felt like there were pluses and minuses. On the plus side, there are some beautiful brownstone blocks surrounding the apartment that make the neighborhood feel warmer, there are some good restaurants and cafes, and it's close to some nice parks. On the minus side, I visited on a summer Saturday, so the streets were packed down by 125th st, which to me felt a bit overwhelming (my current neighborhood is a little more laid back and residential). There was also more trash on the streets than I'd like, but that's true in a lot of neighborhoods in NY! Overall, got a decently safe vibe walking down the street and though it may not be my personal dream neighborhood, i could see living there. I'd love to hear from people that have more experience with the area/people who live there about what they think. Mine is just a first impression, so take that for what it's worth.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisApfel View Post
I went up there recently and felt like there were pluses and minuses. On the plus side, there are some beautiful brownstone blocks surrounding the apartment that make the neighborhood feel warmer, there are some good restaurants and cafes, and it's close to some nice parks. On the minus side, I visited on a summer Saturday, so the streets were packed down by 125th st, which to me felt a bit overwhelming (my current neighborhood is a little more laid back and residential). There was also more trash on the streets than I'd like, but that's true in a lot of neighborhoods in NY! Overall, got a decently safe vibe walking down the street and though it may not be my personal dream neighborhood, i could see living there. I'd love to hear from people that have more experience with the area/people who live there about what they think. Mine is just a first impression, so take that for what it's worth.
Thanks for the feedback, but I was actually looking for more information about people who are selected for the Aurum Condominium. Your information is important for people who are going to live there in the future, but for now, I am more interested about the who selection process and how many people are on the wait list. Also, how many people with a log number.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
So, $225K for an "affordable" studio and almost $400K for a two bedroom on Adam Clayton Powell Boulevard. I can see why lower income people might walk away.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So, $225K for an "affordable" studio and almost $400K for a two bedroom on Adam Clayton Powell Boulevard. I can see why lower income people might walk away.
For a studio is not worth it, but for a two bedroom in manhattan, that's kind of price you can't get in a regular market (well at least not in the market price).

Old 07-24-2017, 10:27 AM

I Should have clarified - I went up there to see it because I was selected to move forward with first round of financial info for Aurum. Log number in the mid 200's. Municipal employee. I was responding to the question of whether it seemed like a bad neighborhood.

Last edited by IrisApfel; 07-24-2017 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I Should have clarified - I went up there to see it because I was selected to move forward with first round of financial info for Aurum. Log number in the mid 200's. Municipal employee. I was responding to the question of whether it seemed like a bad neighborhood.
Thank you for clarifying on this. Are you in the process of getting the condo? Did they tell you how long is going to take to finalize everything?

Old 07-24-2017, 12:12 PM

My application is still under review. Don't really have a sense of how far along I am in the process but I was first contacted about a month and a half ago. I'll turn in a second round of financial info next week and then I guess we'll just see what happens! Fingers crossed. Would be pretty exciting if it worked out but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
My application is still under review. Don't really have a sense of how far along I am in the process but I was first contacted about a month and a half ago. I'll turn in a second round of financial info next week and then I guess we'll just see what happens! Fingers crossed. Would be pretty exciting if it worked out but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.
I see. Thank you for the valuable information. If you don't mind, can you keep me posted as you proceed with the application?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: