U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 10:53 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
All I know is. Transit in NYC sucks. From our airports to our subways and everything else in between. If nyc wants to be the bleeding edge of the global economic system. The city and it's public private affiliates such as the mta and port authority needs to step it it up. If not the state and the City should pony up to Trump and kusher.
Honestly when Obama passed the stimulus package the MTA should have lobbied to the money to donsudtem wide upgrades then, as well as fund phases 2-4 of the Second Avenue Subway. Cuomo and de Blasio can't work together so how can they work with Trump? You are right if NY cannot pull this together it will be tremendous economic damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 11:53 PM

490 posts, read 606,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I now bicycle everywhere I can, weather permitting, when traffic is too heavy to drive. I avoid the subway at all costs when possible

I've also been noticing more and more illegal motor-assist bicycles, scooters, and the latest one skateboards everywhere. I still pedal the old fashioned way

Same here. I bike everywhere now and couldn't be happier. The only way I see the subways getting out of this mess is reducing the amount of people depending on it, thus reducing delays/malfunctions and giving them time to fix/maintain things rather than just keep up with service.

There is a lot of potential with buses, just look at Mexico City. The city will need to get more of those idling, oversized Uber drivers and single-passenger cars out of Manhattan. The city should also consider building a secondary aerial transportation system over highways and major thoroughfares to lighten the load on the subways.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:34 PM

19,084 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Next thing you know I will have to swipe my Metro to go in the public park across the street too.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-29-2017, 12:32 AM

14,778 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
Same here. I bike everywhere now and couldn't be happier. The only way I see the subways getting out of this mess is reducing the amount of people depending on it, thus reducing delays/malfunctions and giving them time to fix/maintain things rather than just keep up with service.

There is a lot of potential with buses, just look at Mexico City. The city will need to get more of those idling, oversized Uber drivers and single-passenger cars out of Manhattan. The city should also consider building a secondary aerial transportation system over highways and major thoroughfares to lighten the load on the subways.
So far, this is the best post you ever said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9hfQbL4Tk8

Old 07-29-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Well, Ford never -actually- said Drop Dead to NYC, those were the words of the Daily News.

Ford just said he wouldn't use federal funds to save NYC, since it was the fiscal responsibility of NYC and New York.

The same is coming out true here. NYS/NYC need to accept the huge burden/cost of repairing the MTA NYCT infrastructure. It will cost tens of billions and it should have been working/alotted all along.

My solution is to scab out an hire cheaper federal labor to do the job. This way NYC/NYS is still paying for it, but they can use federal labor at cheaper rates than absurd NY Union Labor and the long-term costs (pension/healthcare) will be absolved from a federal level.

The bridges and tunnels and Rail Services (aside from Penn Station which is a whole other situation) aren't flat out dying like the Subway is.

NYC needs to raise impact fees on new development.

Frankly, they should do away with the Unlimited Metrocard too. Not very popular of a choice to make, but it's one that will alleviate the system OR generate revenue. Win-Win.

.... I'd like to point out- Problematically, these thoughts twenty minutes and two drinks in, are the results of what New York would **** away literally 4 million on a two-year feasibility study to different cost saving measures.
What is this cheap federal labor you're speaking of?

NYC can legalize weed and other drugs and use the tax revenue to supprt transit. Legalize prostitution.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post

The city cannot get single passenger cars out of Manhattan. Bloomberg tried this with congestion pricing and failed spectacularly.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:07 AM

3,447 posts, read 3,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What is this cheap federal labor you're speaking of?

NYC can legalize weed and other drugs and use the tax revenue to supprt transit. Legalize prostitution.
Comparatively, Federal hires can get things done cheaper than NYC/NYS union workers.
If you can't take extremely bloated labor out of the equation, eventually the bankrupt MTA will just have to stop operating.

Colorado made half a billion dollars in three years on Marijuana Taxes. That wouldn't cover the overages New York paid for the 1st leg of the SAS.

Rampant drugs and prostitution sound like the New York of the 90s. I'm sure everyone with money is dying to return to that.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Comparatively, Federal hires can get things done cheaper than NYC/NYS union workers.
If you can't take extremely bloated labor out of the equation, eventually the bankrupt MTA will just have to stop operating.

Colorado made half a billion dollars in three years on Marijuana Taxes. That wouldn't cover the overages New York paid for the 1st leg of the SAS.

Rampant drugs and prostitution sound like the New York of the 90s. I'm sure everyone with money is dying to return to that.
Oh the drugs and prostitution NEVER went away. The city cannot return to it because it never stopped.

You still didn't mention what these federal hires are.

Did you make them up? If not, explain who they are and how they can be cheap.

NYS and NYC don't pay for infrastructure upfront. They issue bonds and make early bond payments. So for example they could borrow say 4 billion and pay them back at the rate of 150 million per year.

This is how airport upgrades, and any new infrastructure is paid for. They borrow the money by selling bonds, and they use revenue from whatever tax source to pay it back. Bloomberg had the city borrow money by selling bonds to pay for the 7 train extension to 34th Street. That money is being paid back by area real estate taxes.

To further upgrade and modernize, the MTA will just issue more debt and they or the city or the state will have to find new revenue sources. The MTA and other municipal agencies will never not have debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or