U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 AM

2,978 posts, read 716,858 times
There have been MANY people who have left the projects for either private housing in "better" communties via a Section 8 voucher, or have picked up and left the city altogether, as they can only stand the ghetto culture and lifestyle for so long. I applaud these people for making an attempt to better themselves, and their children's lives.

So I guess the motivations for improving your lifestyle would be:

1-to actually GET OUT of the housing projects
2-to live in better housing conditions in a better neighborhood
3-to get away from the relentless ghetto culture that consumes the housing projects
4-to move away from the city
5-to live a somewhat normal/less dysfunctional life that does not revolve around violence, ignorance, drugs, and the like
6-to have any sort of decent future for you or your kids
7-YOU ARE TIRED OF THE HOUSING PROJECTS

And the list goes on and on...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 11:08 AM

395 posts, read 3,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
that's where you're wrong. If you were to take 21st street (L.I.C) east all the way till it ends, there is a decent sized housing complex and the inhabitants are all but "minorities". They are just not making songs about how "hood" their "projects" are etc.....
wait...u are saying whites in L.I.C are making minimum wage? last time i check they are $400k-$600k condo around these area all being bought by white folks. there are project in the l.i.c but i believe majority of the resident in these pj are colored and not white.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
There have been MANY people who have left the projects for either private housing in "better" communties via a Section 8 voucher, or have picked up and left the city altogether, as they can only stand the ghetto culture and lifestyle for so long. I applaud these people for making an attempt to better themselves, and their children's lives.

So I guess the motivations for improving your lifestyle would be:

1-to actually GET OUT of the housing projects
2-to live in better housing conditions in a better neighborhood
3-to get away from the relentless ghetto culture that consumes the housing projects
4-to move away from the city
5-to live a somewhat normal/less dysfunctional life that does not revolve around violence, ignorance, drugs, and the like
6-to have any sort of decent future for you or your kids
7-YOU ARE TIRED OF THE HOUSING PROJECTS

And the list goes on and on...
first, the ppl who qualify and got admitted to some of these housing project epecially the good neighborhood, and even east harlem won't want to ever move. first, their rent cover everything, they dont have to pay electricity, heat, or gas. and some of these pj are better maintain and kept compare to the roast infest low income housing next to them that arent own by nycha. some of these pj, there are super to clean the building everyday, and if something broke they have a system where the super must respond in 24 hrs. there are always heat, and hot water.

plus u think some of these folks that live in the pj's income will increase over time? remember majority these folks who got admitted to these pj are on welfare! why would u think they their income will ever be a decent wage? getting pick to live in some of these nycha are like hitting the lottery for some of these folks. u think if these folks were to move out of some of these pjs that they can afford to live next door to their rich white neighborhood. they either have to earn a decent wage like $80k or more for a family of 4. and these aint even modest. u think these folks who currently live in the pj could earn $80k or more? i dont think so.

u have some valid point where some1 would want to move. but if i were single and haveno kids....i won't ever want to move from these pjs. no sane person would too. cuz u live r in manhattan, one of the greatest city on earth and u paying 1/4 of the rent from someone who live a block from u....why u would ever want to move? but if i had kids, i probably have to considered real hard about it...cuz i wont want me kids to exposed to drug dealers, violence, mugging etc. in these neighborhood.

Last edited by vincentnyc; 03-12-2008 at 11:24 AM..

Old 03-12-2008, 11:39 AM

Yes I agree that there will always be some element that will never leave and are permanent residents of the housing projects to the bitter end (and I mean bitter!).

Where we differ is that many of these housing project tenants oftentimes are not choosing between living in the housing projects or a $1,300 one bedroom apt, which their income would never qualify them for. What IS happening is many are LEAVING the city outright, and moving with family in southern locales, or starting a new life in different cities, where they can start new, send their kids to decent public schools, and live a much lower cost of living AND a better overall quality of life. Clearly if they choose to stay in NYC, they could not afford to leave the projects, but in my experience many are leaving NYC for a better life, and to start fresh.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Yes I agree that there will always be some element that will never leave and are permanent residents of the housing projects to the bitter end (and I mean bitter!).

Where we differ is that many of these housing project tenants oftentimes are not choosing between living in the housing projects or a $1,300 one bedroom apt, which their income would never qualify them for. What IS happening is many are LEAVING the city outright, and moving with family in southern locales, or starting a new life in different cities, where they can start new, send their kids to decent public schools, and live a much lower cost of living AND a better overall quality of life. Clearly if they choose to stay in NYC, they could not afford to leave the projects, but in my experience many are leaving NYC for a better life, and to start fresh.
i dont see moving vans in front of these projects. but i do see moving vans in front of these luxury building and condo next to these project. and no they aint moving in...i see these white folks especially college student moving out...lol.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 AM

lol.... point taken!

Old 03-12-2008, 12:09 PM

9,670 posts, read 16,847,502 times
i have never heard of a policy that exists for the racial segregation of NYCHA tenants. someone please point me to where this is even documented, or is it hearsay.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-12-2008, 12:17 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,937,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i have never heard of a policy that exists for the racial segregation of NYCHA tenants. someone please point me to where this is even documented, or is it hearsay.
it's self imposed segregation.

Why move from one hood to another hood when you already know everyone in your hood?

I personally know a family living in Marcus Garvey (projects, not village) in Brownsville who have every opportuniry to move out but won't because they know everyone there already and are afraid of change.

fear keeps people in AND out.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Seventh, I believe the housing discrimination laws in NYC apply to outright discriminatory practices, as well as practices/policies that encourage or otherwise results in segregation/discrimination. However, I am not sure...which is why I posted this question.

Anyone know for sure whether such a lawsuit would have merit?

Old 03-12-2008, 12:31 PM

9,670 posts, read 16,847,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
it's self imposed segregation.

Why move from one hood to another hood when you already know everyone in your hood?

I personally know a family living in Marcus Garvey (projects, not village) in Brownsville who have every opportuniry to move out but won't because they know everyone there already and are afraid of change.

fear keeps people in AND out.

no they're talking about some actual documentation that supposedly exists....if this is true i want to see it.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City