U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:54 PM

10,352 posts, read 18,805,565 times

Advertisements

you're a nut ;-)

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 03:13 PM

2,978 posts, read 1,054,925 times
Lol...gotta lighten things up once in awhile.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:32 AM

2,806 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Haven't been to Italy or Spain, but have been to all of the rest. I have family-friends who live in an old eastern bloc PJ style building in eastern europe. It looks kind of dingy/drab on the outside, but is perfectly safe and actually quite nice inside of the apartments. I remember it being somewhat small for a 2br apartment, but I haven't visited in over a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
even been to france, germany, england, italy? belgium, spain? the eastern bloc countries?
all those places have pjs that make the ones here look like luxury housing

there's an old saying, it's better to be thought of as a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt

Old 03-15-2008, 02:34 AM

2,806 posts, read 11,930,743 times
For however bad things get in the PJs its not the 3rd world. Trust me, I've been to really 3rd world areas more times than I would like to think about. I have a lot of problems with how the PJs are operated in America, but slums they are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
lol...i dunno about that...most part of the bx..and some pjs in harlem and east harlem looks like a 3rd world countries sometimes.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:55 AM

4 posts, read 8,578 times
Default what

what are yall talking about, crime is down now , the projects are not so bad, heck , where the hell is everyone gonna live if they dont live in the projects, there are houses in new york but because of all the people projects were built, and theses project are much better than the other housing in new york except a house, and not all whit people are wealthy and in brooklyn and queens many blacks live in houses and homes and live very well, they got projects in manhatten that many white people live in but nobody say they want to get out of them and thier just like the project in the black neighborhoods,it's not the projects it's the people and i live in a black project that is very nice in brooklyn , and people think that all they got to do is move down south, unless you got money you aint living in a big house and good nieghborhood, you probably live in a shack or small project an in a small hood, and crime is worst down south than new york now. i've been down south and it aint no different i like new york and the southor west and i'd rather live in a house than a project because of the space but project get a bad rap, they are usually near stores and trains and schools and unless the people are bad the hood is good, dont just live off of hype and stereotype it's ok in the projects..

Old 05-27-2008, 01:07 AM

50,242 posts, read 47,554,186 times
housing projects are not filled by color code. they are filled by financial need.
its part of the welfare game which takes considerable skill and experience to play.
the clandestine network that gets information in verbal form from within the walls of the welfare department to the street is on par with fiber optics.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:37 AM

1,767 posts, read 4,161,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
If I was working for the NYC Law Department and was told to collaborate with the NYC Housing Authority in getting a legally-permissible solution to attracting more "white" people to the projects, I would say that the best way to do this is to market heavily to hipsters or to young artists/musicians who want to live in NYC but don't have a lot of cash.

People like this have no problem moving to poor, high-crime areas and attracting more of their kind; once they do this, professionals and older people (groups with more money) will feel safer about moving to the area. I would imagine a lot of tension at first between the new, mostly hipster residents and the old-time, mostly black residents, but hopefully this would become old news within a few years.

...Just a thought!
The result of that would be the gentrification of the housing projects of the City of New York, which could lead to a whole other host of controversies.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,767 times
Default housing

the houses east on 21 street in astoria are not city housing they are corporate owned and have been for years pred whit and hispanic

Old 08-19-2009, 01:17 PM

1,526 posts, read 3,959,541 times
Seward Park housing (Grand Street running from around Essex Street to the East River) consists of several different developments originally built to accommodate mainly textile and other union workers.

My aunt has lived there for many decades, and I remember when it was an Orthodox Jewish "ghetto." They finally had a discrimination lawsuit and let in other ethnic groups. Eventually it went market rate, and is now more mixed for sure, but since the area has become gentrified the demographic has changed both ethnically and economically.

I personally think many of the pj's will eventually be converted to luxe rentals or coops/condos. That's prime real estate with river views after all.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:18 PM

1,526 posts, read 3,959,541 times
Sorry, meant to also say that it was always a coop, but a dirt cheap one. Mitchell Lamas tend to have a similar history, and are now also biting the dust rapidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City