U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2017, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 3,676 times

Advertisements

Hi! So obviously when you win a housing lottery condo the idea is that you actually live there and I understand that usually there are 10-15 year restrictions on re-selling. All of that is fair, since I'm sure otherwise people would flip apartments to profit off the system, which undermines the whole point. Not at all looking to make $ off of this - really just concerned with flexibility of lifestyle if things change 10 years from now. All of that to say...

I was wondering if anyone knew specific rules about whether you have the option of renting your space out at any point... even the thought of renting at a reduced/affordable rate would be a huge comfort. I have an aging parent that lives overseas, so it feels possible that at some point or another I might need to go help out there in a non-permanent way, and I wouldn't want that to mean that I have to sell my home before I'm ready.

Has anyone been through the housing lottery process and gotten any insight on this? I'm currently being vetted for a place but this is all still hypothetical.

Thanks!

Last edited by IrisApfel; 07-23-2017 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Fixed a typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 06:52 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,533,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisApfel View Post
Hi! So obviously when you win a housing lottery condo the idea is that you actually live there and I understand that usually there are 10-15 year restrictions on re-selling. All of that is fair, since I'm sure otherwise people would flip apartments to profit off the system, which undermines the whole point. Not at all looking to make $ off of this - really just concerned with flexibility of lifestyle if things change 10 years from now. All of that to say...

I was wondering if anyone knew specific rules about whether you have the option of renting your space out at any point... even the thought of renting at a reduced/affordable rate would be a huge comfort. I have an aging parent that lives overseas, so it feels possible that at some point or another I might need to go help out there in a non-permanent way, and I wouldn't want that to mean that I have to sell my home before I'm ready.

Has anyone been through the housing lottery process and gotten any insight on this? I'm currently being vetted for a place but this is all still hypothetical.

Thanks!
You cannot rent the apartment to anyone else other than for you to live in by yourself or you and your family. Even if it means you are going to be away for a little while, you still cannot rent it out.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:42 PM

11 posts, read 11,143 times
It all depends on the condo. Each development can have different rules on renting out. Please read the offering plan that they should give you at the interview. In my situation, we can rent 1 year out of 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or