U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2017, 09:07 PM
 
995 posts, read 719,730 times
Reputation: 1348

Advertisements

Interesting, I'm born and raised in the Bronx. Mostly a PR/Italian neighborhood. Quiet throughout my childhood and into early adulthood. Everyone knew each other by name and looked out for each other. After sundown, not a peep from anyone and kids were called inside to their homes.

I've slowly gained more and more Caribbean black neighbors who are good people, but the neighborhood is not as quiet as it used to be. Late night partys with loud music all night, BBQ's on the sidewalk, fireworks and M80's exploding outside my window all night from June till August. People sitting on cars that don't belong to them.

Over the last 20 years there has been a slow but drastic change.

My Fellow PR Boogy Down Dweller revolutionary who hates everything USA but still refuses to leave... Why didn't these new neighbors have to adapt to how quiet and orderly my neighborhood used to be? Why do I need to endure their way of "night life and fun" now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2017, 09:09 PM
 
23,247 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Reputation: 8529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'd be more worry about how much debt I have to pay back. So far black women have the highest level of college debt. That is far more worse than going to a crappy college.
It depends on what you're getting the debt for. For certain things like medical school it's more than worth it.

For other things, particularly if you're taking on debt to go to a no name school, it's completely not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 09:21 PM
 
3,039 posts, read 992,283 times
Reputation: 1245
How can you even hear a Ice cream truck if your air conditioner is on during the summer? The ice cream truck only comes out in the evening and most of the time the air conditioner is on to drown out the outside noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Bronx
14,780 posts, read 17,404,166 times
Reputation: 7508
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It depends on what you're getting the debt for. For certain things like medical school it's more than worth it.

For other things, particularly if you're taking on debt to go to a no name school, it's completely not worth it.
I don't know about that. I have dated and entered into relationships with black women in this city. All got good jobs, from attending established schools if not masters degrees. All have boat loads of debt that will never, ever be repaid even if they have a 6 figure job that pays 100k a year. Than they wonder why some guys won't offer up marriage. I also know do black women in high places, and ask the same question. That college debt stuff is a relationship killer when discussed. Also this ballooning debt is hurting the nation as a whole.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-23-2017 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 09:34 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,548 posts, read 2,688,620 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
How can you even hear a Ice cream truck if your air conditioner is on during the summer? The ice cream truck only comes out in the evening and most of the time the air conditioner is on to drown out the outside noise.
Am here to tell you have been at the residences of others with AC. Have been in the dining or living room area with the AC on or whatever and the Ice Cream truck could *clearly* be heard over the AC, so much so that it interrupted our conversation. Am willing to bet that if residence is close to the street AND the idiots driving the trucks crank up the volume higher than usual, can become quite annoying *quick*. Have to remember that most these days don't have old ACs that are loud like back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 09:45 PM
 
23,247 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Reputation: 8529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I don't know about that. I have dated and entered into relationships with black women in this city. All got good jobs, from attending established schools if not masters degrees. All have boat loads of debt that will never, ever be repaid even if they have a 6 figure job that pays 100k a year. Than they wonder why some guys won't offer up marriage. I also know do black women in high places, and ask the same question. That college debt stuff is a relationship killer when discussed. Also this ballooning debt is hurting the nation as a whole.
First of all the guy doesn't have access to their credit reports.

Big companies will never, ever repay all their debts.

Unless these women want to spend the rest of their lives as a janitor, a maid, or something like that, they are going to have to deal with debt.

The average person in a Western country substantially deals with at least one form of debt, if not multiple forms. Definitely the entire middle class is based on debt.

Credit cards, mortgages, auto loans, student loans, etc. The only way around that is to be super rich ,and even wealthy people have their debts. Super profitable companies like Apple have their own debt as well.

Debt is an essential function of capitalism and makes money flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 09:49 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,548 posts, read 2,688,620 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
First of all the guy doesn't have access to their credit reports.

Big companies will never, ever repay all their debts.

Unless these women want to spend the rest of their lives as a janitor, a maid, or something like that, they are going to have to deal with debt.

The average person in a Western country substantially deals with at least one form of debt, if not multiple forms. Definitely the entire middle class is based on debt.

Credit cards, mortgages, auto loans, student loans, etc. The only way around that is to be super rich ,and even wealthy people have their debts. Super profitable companies like Apple have their own debt as well.

Debt is an essential function of capitalism and makes money flow.
Completely irrelevant. What's important is how much the debt hampers the individual or company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 09:55 PM
 
1,975 posts, read 1,235,642 times
Reputation: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Debt is an essential function of capitalism and makes money flow.
Poor people and rich people use debt in different ways. Rich people use debt as a tool to make more money, while poor people use debt as a hindrance. Using debt to purchase a depreciating assets or spending on a credit card with ridiculous high interest rate is how poor people get in trouble, while rich people use debt as a way to leverage making more money (debt to buy revenue producing assets, using low interest rate debt as an alternative to cash/investing cash in high interest rate products, etc...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 10:06 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,548 posts, read 2,688,620 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Poor people and rich people use debt in different ways. Rich people use debt as a tool to make more money, while poor people use debt as a hindrance. Using debt to purchase a depreciating assets or spending on a credit card with ridiculous high interest rate is how poor people get in trouble, while rich people use debt as a way to leverage making more money (debt to buy revenue producing assets, using low interest rate debt as an alternative to cash/investing cash in high interest rate products, etc...).
Am in agreement. Well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 10:07 PM
 
11,612 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Reputation: 10981
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think all of our comments are important.

Because if it's true Blacks are disproportionately going to ****ty colleges (for multiple reasons), the first thing that should deal with is if it is a waste of time to go to a no name private for profit university or to a ****ty state school like SUNY Farmingdale or a no name Black college in the South. Because if these options don't lead to employment than people may as well not waste their time or their money.

I personally never would have gone to a black college. Both undergrad and grad, had I not gotten into an Ivy I would have gladly gone to CUNY as CUNY is diverse and has people from all around the world. Obviously before the 60s Black people had no alternative but to go to HBCUs, but I personally would have found it super marginalizing to attend one. It's not like Asians have to go to the Asian school or Latinos have to go to the Latino school. Some Black people maybe shooting themselves in the foot by being too pro Black.
Right. And that would be true for anyone being committed to any counter-culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top