U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-27-2017, 12:25 PM
 
11,301 posts, read 21,755,555 times
Reputation: 8910

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
In her defense, when I lived at Newport the Mister Softee pulled up at 5PM with that awful jingle jangle and stayed til 9 without shutting off the brainwashing chant. It was mind-numbing with your windows open.


A mass of complaints to the police and Lefrak got rid of the truck.
That was the point I was trying to make earlier in the thread. Some people seem outraged that someone could possibly be upset with an ice cream truck jingle. But that's because they might only hear it 2 or 3 times in an evening when it happens to circle their block.

But when the jingle plays loudly and incessantly right below your windows for an hour or more, it's a whole different ball game.

She has a right to complain. And the racist BS in this thread about her being a "white lady from Hell" is just wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2017, 01:17 PM
 
8,083 posts, read 5,293,582 times
Reputation: 9241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
That was the point I was trying to make earlier in the thread. Some people seem outraged that someone could possibly be upset with an ice cream truck jingle. But that's because they might only hear it 2 or 3 times in an evening when it happens to circle their block.

But when the jingle plays loudly and incessantly right below your windows for an hour or more, it's a whole different ball game.

She has a right to complain. And the racist BS in this thread about her being a "white lady from Hell" is just wrong.
Amen, sister!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
8,708 posts, read 7,099,783 times
Reputation: 8196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Snake eater. Every neighborhood should have one.
Born on Bragg actually. But no, not stationed there. I was in Colorado.

Well trained to deal with the skells when the time comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 02:58 PM
 
152 posts, read 65,268 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
That was the point I was trying to make earlier in the thread. Some people seem outraged that someone could possibly be upset with an ice cream truck jingle. But that's because they might only hear it 2 or 3 times in an evening when it happens to circle their block.

But when the jingle plays loudly and incessantly right below your windows for an hour or more, it's a whole different ball game.

She has a right to complain. And the racist BS in this thread about her being a "white lady from Hell" is just wrong.
From my understanding those trucks are NEVER supposed to just let that jingle run for so long like that! And some of those trucks are really loud...especially the bootleg white and purple ice cream trucks!

So yup she does in fact have a right to complain and IT IS something that's NOT supposed to occur.

The title of this thread is disgusting and I can guarantee you if someone posted "such and such person from hell moved to Bensonhurst and goes to war with the ice cream truck" people would have set the forum on fire......

Because its OK for one group to talk crap like this but NOT ok for others.......double standard much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,084 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Reputation: 66455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
In her defense, when I lived at Newport the Mister Softee pulled up at 5PM with that awful jingle jangle and stayed til 9 without shutting off the brainwashing chant. It was mind-numbing with your windows open.


A mass of complaints to the police and Lefrak got rid of the truck.
I have one that runs through our condo complex every evening. The song is awful, and it starts with this voice saying "Hello" and ends with a duck quacking. I think a video game where you can blow away the ice cream truck would do very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2017, 03:52 AM
 
10,647 posts, read 8,527,660 times
Reputation: 5125
I'm sure Harlem has a much bigger issue with black men from hell that is taking away from the culture of Harlem more than some petty complaint about an ice cream truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2017, 05:10 AM
 
152 posts, read 65,268 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I usually get vanilla dipped in chocolate. Kinda like the white lady in an apartment building in Harlem.
Haha I see what you did there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2017, 05:20 AM
 
152 posts, read 65,268 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'm sure Harlem has a much bigger issue with black men from hell that is taking away from the culture of Harlem more than some petty complaint about an ice cream truck.
On cable there is a channel called NYC TV Live and they had show called neighborhood slice. They did an episode about Sugar Hill where longtime residents talk about their neighborhood. Some of what they say is eye opening. Everyone should check it out......see link below:

SUGAR HILL, MANHATTAN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2017, 08:13 AM
 
1,992 posts, read 1,141,420 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Her_CC_Q4 View Post
On cable there is a channel called NYC TV Live and they had show called neighborhood slice. They did an episode about Sugar Hill where longtime residents talk about their neighborhood. Some of what they say is eye opening. Everyone should check it out......see link below:

SUGAR HILL, MANHATTAN
Amazing video. Thank you for this. Lots of insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2017, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Yellow cottage, green doors.
16,398 posts, read 13,101,444 times
Reputation: 72231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
The vast majority of families living in Harlem are fine with ice cream trucks and have understood for decades that it brings children joy. Now a white women moves in and has a problem with it.

It is not a "race" issue per say, but it DEFINATELY has racial undertones especially with the tension of gentrification in harlem which has been a frontline of gentrification in this city
My laugh for this morning ^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top