U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:56 AM

152 posts, read 54,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Amazing video. Thank you for this. Lots of insight.
I am happy you enjoyed it! You're welcome. The entire series is pretty great! I wish more people would watch and see these neighborhoods through the eyes of these lovely long time residents. We need more programming like this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 10:51 AM

1,957 posts, read 1,050,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Her_CC_Q4 View Post
I am happy you enjoyed it! You're welcome. The entire series is pretty great! I wish more people would watch and see these neighborhoods through the eyes of these lovely long time residents. We need more programming like this!
Yes. Of course. We know what the widely held negative perceptions are. I wish more would watch too. This should be more widely available for people to see.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:50 PM

I agree - they need to get this series to a wider audience! I think the key to a better future is always knowing history and building on the successes and not repeating the mistakes. But it's like some of society has no desire to know, it's like some have amnesia. We also discard our older members of society too easily. I wish older people would have a greater role. There is so much we can learn just by hearing their stories.

We could learn a lot from the Japanese culture when it comes to our seasoned population. I say seasoned because I don't like to say old, there is nothing OLD about someone who has more life experience. Get to know them before the history and their own stories are gone. Here in NYC we have a wealth of knowledge we should tap into it and respect it.

I guess I am a dreamer huh?

Old 07-28-2017, 02:14 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,121,264 times
Blame greedy landlords for charging such high rents. White people are forced out of their old neighborhood into new cheaper ones. The cheaper ones happen to be minority ones. Which cases minority neighborhoods to become just as overpriced. Blame greedy landlords!

Old 07-28-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Blame greedy landlords for charging such high rents. White people are forced out of their old neighborhood into new cheaper ones. The cheaper ones happen to be minority ones. Which cases minority neighborhoods to become just as overpriced. Blame greedy landlords!
Hey - sorry - what post were you responding to? I'm not sure where your comment is coming from. (not trying to be confrontational at all just trying to understand).

Are you saying that the woman complaining about the ice cream truck jingle is wrong and we should blame landlords for whites moving in to that area (cause whites complain)? I am really surprised that ANYONE would not be annoyed at a jingle that carries on for such a long time at a high decibel level. Regardless what they look like. These trucks aren't supposed to do that. They don't do it in any area I have live in and I've seen people ask the truck to stop the noise and the driver complied.

I think anyone should be able to move wherever they want no matter your background. Live where you can afford it. In a lot of cases people are returning to neighborhoods they actually did once live in and left. The ebb and flow of a city...it always changes.

Also NOT all landlords are greedy - you would be surprised how much running and keeping up an old building costs. Especially when you constantly fix things and people destroy them time and time again.

Last edited by Its_Her_CC_Q4; 07-28-2017 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: I posted before I finished typing- oops

Old 07-28-2017, 03:03 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,121,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Her_CC_Q4 View Post
Hey - sorry - what post were you responding to? I'm not sure where your comment is coming from.
just saying that in general.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
just saying that in general.
Got you, sorry about that. I read so many posts I got a bit confused. Thank you Jayden
I also hit reply accidentally before I finished typing - oops. My comment is now updated. But you don't need to reply because I get what you mean now.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:45 PM

7,159 posts, read 5,525,007 times
Quote:
If someone is going to pay you $2500 to rent your previously $1000 apartment it's not being greedy, rather you'd be stupid NOT to take it

Old 07-28-2017, 06:25 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,502,155 times
the mr. softee jingle non stop sounding > yoga bells non stop

Old 07-28-2017, 06:26 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,502,155 times
and when i say yoga bells I just mean the non stop screetching of young white women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or