U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 02:03 PM

11,295 posts, read 21,751,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
If it's a noise issue as you say, not saying it's not but can't the decibel level be checked? If the sound coming from the PA speaker is louder than the allowable decibel levels, then I would think that the sound system can be tweaked to a level more acceptable. Maybe play softer (lower level decibel) from 9-10 pm?
These are all good points. However, just making a complaint about a decibel level is not guaranteed to produce any results, since someone from the city would have to come to deal with it. (I'm not sure if that's police or another city agency). Most complaints just are registered and never addressed by the city.

Another thing is that the decibel level itself may not be the problem. Instead it's the incessant nature of the annoying music. It may not be that annoying if the truck comes around the neighborhood a few times a night as it did in my childhood in the suburb where I grew up, but instead the trucks are parking in one location which may be outside the apartment windows of many people, and just playing the noise in a loop.

I'm lucky that I live in a district where our City Councilman Daniel Dromm takes the issue seriously (even though I live in a mostly NON-WHITE area.)

Quote:
Despite hundreds of complaints, only one jingle-blasting jerk has been ticketed for playing music too loudly this year, city officials said. “Something is not working when you have violations at such low of a level. C’mon only one? Give me a break!” said City Councilman Daniel Dromm (D-Queens), who introduced a bill to mute the tinkly tunes last year.

“Ice cream jingles are among the most annoying noises assaulting New Yorkers’ ears every day.
This is what it sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nqvjFQN7ZQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 02:05 PM

10,636 posts, read 8,524,800 times
I usually get vanilla dipped in chocolate. Kinda like the white lady in an apartment building in Harlem.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:06 PM

4,577 posts, read 4,027,864 times
I need a banana boat. Ugh the stares of envy in their faces when I get one

Old 07-23-2017, 02:08 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,489,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
Why are you characterizing this woman as a racist?

Because Boogey is the king of racists. He's just projecting.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:15 PM

33,888 posts, read 42,114,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Wow, Fox News
He said about the messenger while ignoring the message.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:23 PM

770 posts, read 732,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
He said about the messenger while ignoring the message.
that's because he is one of the neoliberals being depicted in that expose. the truth hurts sometimes.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:40 PM

1,721 posts, read 811,413 times
Seriously this is the first I have heard ANYONE complain about the ice cream truck and actually go to the extreme of trying to stop it from hindering their life in anyway.

Like how entitled can you be. This is NYC, get some sound proof windows and a noise machine. Or better yet move ya ass to jersey

Old 07-23-2017, 02:54 PM

25,009 posts, read 23,908,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

Another thing is that the decibel level itself may not be the problem. Instead it's the incessant nature of the annoying music. It may not be that annoying if the truck comes around the neighborhood a few times a night as it did in my childhood in the suburb where I grew up, but instead the trucks are parking in one location which may be outside the apartment windows of many people, and just playing the noise in a loop.
That song drives me crazy! I'd be very annoyed if he parked in front of my house with it playing.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:55 PM

534 posts, read 157,758 times
I think there's a city law that the ice cream can't play continuously when park the people who complain were mostly from queens or Brooklyn!

Old 07-23-2017, 03:13 PM

1,015 posts, read 703,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
Because Boogey is the king of racists. He's just projecting.
LOL you can't be racist against whites. You can't be racist against oppressors who hold state and institutional power and use it for genocide.

That's like saying the slaves were racist against their poor little plantation masters

That's like saying Jews were racist against the poor little Nazis

That's like saying Native Americans were racist against the meek pilgrims

You sound ridiculous saying blacks can be "racist" against people who've systemically created genocide against them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or