U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:12 PM

10,000 posts, read 7,736,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I never said everything is about race. However major studies and publications have data which suggest minorities with bachelor degrees with no criminal records do WORSE than white college dropouts and convicts. So if the data is true, that is very much about race.

It's difficult for a lot of people to process that it's possible (and likely) for a minority person from poverty to have made good grades, never gotten in trouble, never even done drugs and still end up doing worse financially than a white high school drop out who has done every drug there is to do.
That is silly. No one is hiring a white ex-con over a black college educated person. Stop looking for excuses for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 08:14 PM

23,280 posts, read 16,133,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You seem to have been anal hurt because of my comment. I'm sorry if you feel butt hurt. But I'm sorry to say that high level of classism and undertone racism exists in the liberals sphere of things. If I was a liberal, white, elite educated, or even a person of color I would not want to live amongst poor blacks, poor whites, or those who are uneducated, or even worse, under educated. I'm serious. My comment must have really angered you and your anal whole. Don't be upset about me or poor people that Trump got elected. It's your liberal, elite over the top educated folks that doomed America on a global scale politically by siding with Hillary thus creating a process of alienation amongst voters.

I can never forget your comment when Trump won the election. Trump went to am ivy league school, and so did I. We will be OK.

As for minorities with degrees not getting calls for jobs compared to white guys in prison. Do you know plenty of minorities have minority sounding names? Or live in minority areas? Those points I have mentioned will throw off HR departments. As for me, I have a very waspy first, last and middle name, thanks to my English ancestry. Yes I have been to interviews were HR departments were perplexed about my name. I look more like a Mohammed, than let's say Stewart.
Why would I be hurt? For starters I'm not a white liberal, and you did not say anything about me or attack me personally.

For the record re: Trump, as long as he does not cut medicaid or medicare, I am 100% HAPPY with his election. Yes, I am okay with a Republican president PROVIDED medical services don't get cut, and so far this Republican congress has BLOCKED Trump's attempt to appeal ACA and the mostly REPUBLICAN supreme court has blocked other Trump initiatives I disagreed with. So I have no reason to be upset about the Trump presidency, and frankly I don't care if he gets reelected. I personally will do the same under a Democratic OR a Republican president.

Yes, Trump has an Ivy League background (his children do too) and so do I. His children could have gone out and partied but he made sure they got good educations and trained them to do well in business. So certainly I admire Trump's parenting. Unlike the Hiltons who have moron grandchildren like Paris Hilton who are good for nothing but acting stupid, and ditto SOME other Hollywood progressives. Not everyone, Puff Daddy's son Justin Combs went to USC, and there are a number of industry people who made sure their kids got good educations and put them on a good path.

The things I push for personally are ending the war on drugs and legalization and this stuff proceeds regardless of whether the President is Republican or Democrat. Right when American elected Trump a number of states voted in recreational marijuana, and states like Florida that voted for Trump also legalized medical marijuana.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:14 PM

11,662 posts, read 5,514,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Because she moves into a neighborhood that predominantly black, and immediately imposes here culture on the neighbor and maligns the customs of the people of the neighborhood who had been living there for generations before. Much like what happened during colonialism.

This goes back to the whole "superior race" paradigm how white bodies and opinions are more important than black ones and override black bodies and opinions.

If you are new to neighborhood, and not of the culture that is predominant in that area, you do not get to assert your own culture and beliefs on the people of the neighborhood and demand they follow your culture while deriding theirs
Ice Cream trucks are a black and brown thing?

Old 07-23-2017, 08:15 PM

7,594 posts, read 2,721,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I never said everything is about race. However major studies and publications have data which suggest minorities with bachelor degrees with no criminal records do WORSE than white college dropouts and convicts. So if the data is true, that is very much about race.

It's difficult for a lot of people to process that it's possible (and likely) for a minority person from poverty to have made good grades, never gotten in trouble, never even done drugs and still end up doing worse financially than a white high school drop out who has done every drug there is to do.
Oh BS. Blacks have a harder time because they generally as connected. As much as you like to brag about Ivy League this and Ivy League that, connections still matter these days, and if you don't have them, you have a harder time landing jobs.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:16 PM

14,907 posts, read 17,476,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
That is silly. No one is hiring a white ex-con over a black college educated person. Stop looking for excuses for yourself.
I agree. Maybe a moving company might hire a white criminal over a college educated black person.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:16 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,867,558 times
I don't even think it's a race thing

But I do find it odd when transplants move here for the "culture" and try to change things.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'm hired, so this is not about me.

This is according to the data cited by various major studies and reported by media outlets. Are you accusing magazines such as Forbes of lying?

Forbes claims that white college drop outs do just as well as black men with bachelor degrees.

And why would a respectable publication like Forbes lie?

Old 07-23-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I agree. Maybe a moving company might hire a white criminal over a college educated black person.
"We absolutely aren't trying to discourage people from going to college," said John Schmitt, a senior economist at the Washington-based Center for Economic and Policy Research who coauthored the study. "College degrees do have value. But what we are trying to show here is that this is not about individuals, or individual effort. There is simply overwhelming evidence that discrimination remains a major feature of the labor market."

Schmitt pointed to a series of studies that have in recent years found that when trained sets of black and white testers with identical resumes are sent on interviews, white men with recent criminal histories are far more likely to receive calls back than black men with no criminal record at all."

A researcher from a major economic and policy institute says otherwise, after analyzing data.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...duates/430971/

Can you show me studies that contradict this, or you simply ignoring what you don't want to believe or deal with?

Old 07-23-2017, 08:22 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,075,028 times
Quote:
The first time this happened, she recalls, “I went down and said to him, ‘Would you mind turning off the music?’ He looked at me and he was like, ‘What are you talking about?’”

She continued, “I said, ‘It’s illegal for you to have your music on anyway, so could you please turn it off?”

His response: “**** off.”
haha. This is so stupid.

But real quick before I regret commenting here: how the **** did this turn into a race thing?
Ice cream trucks are everywhere. Every neighborhood in NYC has them, not just Harlem, and not just predominately black neighborhoods. White neighborhoods have them too, and not just inside NYC, but also elsewhere. Go to any random, predominately white suburb in America and you will see ice cream trucks there too !! I swear every thread on the NYC forum turns into a race issue.... a discussion about ****ing ice cream trucks of all things....

This lady seems a bit crazy/annoying and race has nothing to do with it. Honestly I'm not sure why this is even newsworthy at all, or why this is getting so much attention in the first place.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:23 PM

11,662 posts, read 5,514,166 times
Quote:
This is the reason why I have discontent with liberal SJW apologetic white people, yet they are the ones that harbor racist and classist undertones. More and more liberals have been coming out as classist and racists these days after the defeat of Hillary Clinton.
Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or