Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 12:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
In her defense, when I lived at Newport the Mister Softee pulled up at 5PM with that awful jingle jangle and stayed til 9 without shutting off the brainwashing chant. It was mind-numbing with your windows open.

A mass of complaints to the police and Lefrak got rid of the truck.
That was the point I was trying to make earlier in the thread. Some people seem outraged that someone could possibly be upset with an ice cream truck jingle. But that's because they might only hear it 2 or 3 times in an evening when it happens to circle their block.

But when the jingle plays loudly and incessantly right below your windows for an hour or more, it's a whole different ball game.

She has a right to complain. And the racist BS in this thread about her being a "white lady from Hell" is just wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 01:17 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
That was the point I was trying to make earlier in the thread. Some people seem outraged that someone could possibly be upset with an ice cream truck jingle. But that's because they might only hear it 2 or 3 times in an evening when it happens to circle their block.

But when the jingle plays loudly and incessantly right below your windows for an hour or more, it's a whole different ball game.

She has a right to complain. And the racist BS in this thread about her being a "white lady from Hell" is just wrong.
Amen, sister!

Old 07-27-2017, 01:30 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Snake eater. Every neighborhood should have one.
Born on Bragg actually. But no, not stationed there. I was in Colorado.

Well trained to deal with the skells when the time comes.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:58 PM

152 posts, read 109,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

From my understanding those trucks are NEVER supposed to just let that jingle run for so long like that! And some of those trucks are really loud...especially the bootleg white and purple ice cream trucks!

So yup she does in fact have a right to complain and IT IS something that's NOT supposed to occur.

The title of this thread is disgusting and I can guarantee you if someone posted "such and such person from hell moved to Bensonhurst and goes to war with the ice cream truck" people would have set the forum on fire......

Because its OK for one group to talk crap like this but NOT ok for others.......double standard much?

Old 07-27-2017, 08:55 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
In her defense, when I lived at Newport the Mister Softee pulled up at 5PM with that awful jingle jangle and stayed til 9 without shutting off the brainwashing chant. It was mind-numbing with your windows open.

A mass of complaints to the police and Lefrak got rid of the truck.
I have one that runs through our condo complex every evening. The song is awful, and it starts with this voice saying "Hello" and ends with a duck quacking. I think a video game where you can blow away the ice cream truck would do very well.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:52 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
I'm sure Harlem has a much bigger issue with black men from hell that is taking away from the culture of Harlem more than some petty complaint about an ice cream truck.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I usually get vanilla dipped in chocolate. Kinda like the white lady in an apartment building in Harlem.
Haha I see what you did there.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'm sure Harlem has a much bigger issue with black men from hell that is taking away from the culture of Harlem more than some petty complaint about an ice cream truck.
On cable there is a channel called NYC TV Live and they had show called neighborhood slice. They did an episode about Sugar Hill where longtime residents talk about their neighborhood. Some of what they say is eye opening. Everyone should check it out......see link below:

SUGAR HILL, MANHATTAN

Old 07-28-2017, 08:13 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Her_CC_Q4 View Post
On cable there is a channel called NYC TV Live and they had show called neighborhood slice. They did an episode about Sugar Hill where longtime residents talk about their neighborhood. Some of what they say is eye opening. Everyone should check it out......see link below:

SUGAR HILL, MANHATTAN
Amazing video. Thank you for this. Lots of insight.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:14 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
The vast majority of families living in Harlem are fine with ice cream trucks and have understood for decades that it brings children joy. Now a white women moves in and has a problem with it.

It is not a "race" issue per say, but it DEFINATELY has racial undertones especially with the tension of gentrification in harlem which has been a frontline of gentrification in this city
My laugh for this morning ^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City