Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 10:01 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,195,513 times

Advertisements

White racist gentrifiers might the most anti-children, anti-social parasites to set foot yet in black and brown communities

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 10:03 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,873,496 times
Makes no sense. She resides in 111 Central Park North too. Must be a low floor if she's pissed off at the mr softee jingle. This is rather idiotic. You have nothing better to do than complain about a ice cream truck? Why don't you complain about the sh**load of shelters and drug addicts who reside on your block and that stretch of 110th street? Take that to the top.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:21 AM

481 posts, read 427,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Why are you characterizing this woman as a racist?

Old 07-23-2017, 10:24 AM

6,680 posts, read 6,020,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
Exactly my thought.

I am reminded of my childhood when the ice cream truck plays the jingle, but I don't think I'd want to hear it everyday outside of my apartment.

Anyway, the reason why these fools characterize her as racist is simply because she's white.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:25 AM

19,026 posts, read 13,932,533 times
Because she's white so obviously she is. Didn't you see that The Times now says white women must move out of the way for black men while walking or else they're racist?

Old 07-23-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
Because she moves into a neighborhood that predominantly black, and immediately imposes here culture on the neighbor and maligns the customs of the people of the neighborhood who had been living there for generations before. Much like what happened during colonialism.

This goes back to the whole "superior race" paradigm how white bodies and opinions are more important than black ones and override black bodies and opinions.

If you are new to neighborhood, and not of the culture that is predominant in that area, you do not get to assert your own culture and beliefs on the people of the neighborhood and demand they follow your culture while deriding theirs

Old 07-23-2017, 10:43 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
Quote:
Because she moves into a neighborhood that predominantly black, and immediately imposes here culture on the neighbor and maligns the customs of the people of the neighborhood who had been living there for generations before. Much like what happened during colonialism.

This goes back to the whole "superior race" paradigm how white bodies and opinions are more important than black ones and override black bodies and opinions.

If you are new to neighborhood, and not of the culture that is predominant in that area, you do not get to assert your own culture and beliefs on the people of the neighborhood and demand they follow your culture while deriding theirs
impose her culture?? I am latino (born in Dominican R) and i wouldn't want an ice cream truck blasting music from 7pm to 10 pm.

This is a noise issue but you turned it into a race issue.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
impose her culture?? I am latino (born in Dominican R) and i wouldn't want an ice cream truck blasting music from 7pm to 10 pm.

This is a noise issue but you turned it into a race issue.
The vast majority of families living in Harlem are fine with ice cream trucks and have understood for decades that it brings children joy. Now a white women moves in and has a problem with it.

It is not a "race" issue per say, but it DEFINATELY has racial undertones especially with the tension of gentrification in harlem which has been a frontline of gentrification in this city

Old 07-23-2017, 10:52 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:

As someone who grew up in a mostly Italian neighborhood (though I am not one of them) that has gradually turned into a mostly black neighborhood, I can assure you that the black neighbors also came in and immediately imposed their culture and maligned the customs of the people in the neighborhood who had been living there for generations before.

Quote:

Why does this apply to whites but not blacks? Do they have their own "superior race" paradigm or is there some other chauvinistic cultural paradigm at work?

Old 07-23-2017, 11:01 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
Quote:
The vast majority of families living in Harlem are fine with ice cream trucks and have understood for decades that it brings children joy. Now a white women moves in and has a problem with it.

It is not a "race" issue per say, but it DEFINATELY has racial undertones especially with the tension of gentrification in harlem which has been a frontline of gentrification in this city
If you had ice cream trucks on every block, every street, etc. People would be protesting about the noise. The issue here is that people probably share her feelings but are afraid to speak out due to the backlash that she is receiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City