Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 07:16 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times

Advertisements

If the food is good, I'd go. The protesters should move to a neighborhood with a lower crime rate if they are so easily offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 07:22 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
If the food is good, I'd go. The protesters should move to a neighborhood with a lower crime rate if they are so easily offended.
Or they can stay there and speak their minds, per their constitutional rights. Just as you have every right to disagree with them.

And yes you do have the right to go if you want to.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:44 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Or they can stay there and speak their minds, per their constitutional rights. Just as you have every right to disagree with them.

And yes you do have the right to go if you want to.
I personally do not care what they do, but from the sounds of things, seems to me like they wished they lived in an neighborhood that doesn't have a reputation of being crime-ridden.

They can protest all they want, but the owner can also sue for defamation if a case is built up.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:51 PM

19,037 posts, read 13,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The rent is cheap, and of course right wingers do business in poor neighborhoods all the time. Travis Kalanick was on Trump's advisory council, and he has Uber operate everywhere, even in poor neighborhoods. Many of the people driving Uber or Lyft are from the "hood". Those companies do not care, they are all about making money.

If there is MONEY to be made, of course a conservative person is going to operate their business wherever there is money to be made. Ayn Rand calls this rational self interest and a lot of politicians and business people follow her tenants.

In a way, right wingers like Kalanick are a lot more progressive than the "conservatives" on this forum, as well as the "leftists" on this forum. They are about finding ways to make money, if it suits them they will do business anywhere and with anyone. And they actually filled gaps in transportation (ride sharing cheaper and more convenient than riding taxis). To think, "right" wing people can make positive change without wanting to lock everyone in jail over stupid things, or use mass incarceration.

Which is why I do not like those who call themselves "right" wingers in the context of NYC. No innovation from this group, it was all about supporting Giuliani/Bloomberg's police state. California and Western right wingers (CEOs who made major companies who often vote Republican) will openly admit much of their innovation comes when they get stoned and have successfully pushed for the legalization of cannabis and lead the fight in ending the war against drugs.
Huh? Wtf does uber have in common with a single location owner operated restaurant? Have you lost your mind?

Old 07-24-2017, 04:18 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,356,837 times
This isn't about the restaurant. It's about gentrification aka white people moving into a non-white neighborhood.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:34 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Ah, the tolerant left at work. More than likely the owner is a leftist anyway if they're opening a restaurant in Crown Heights. Keep eating your own. It's hilarious.

So do you think it's acceptable for a restaurant to showcase bullet holes to attract stupid hipsters that have no idea of that life? Do you not think it's insensitive to a community that has victims of gun violence.

White leftist aren't "our own". We don't want them, you can take them back. Allies have always been slim because people always hold up to protect their privilege.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
The restaurant has been open since June and it is now getting this bad PR. The owner made poor judgement in the ambiance of the restaurant. (bullet holes on 1 wall and 40oz wine bottle in paper bag) But what else is wrong with this restaurant??? Sorry but gun violence and cheap 40oz liquior are not exclusive to Brooklyn or Black people.

People calling racist, becky, wishing her business to fail, etc are on the wrong.
You guys are so obtuse, failing to take responsibility. This person knew what they were doing. Stop it

Old 07-24-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
So what do these protesters want, exactly? If they don't like her store, don't go there. If they're trying to force her out, I think that's silly. Talk to the person about what you think is wrong if she'll listen. But stop trying to intimidate her into leaving, which I think is the point of these protests.

And I just checked the Google reviews and, of course, a bunch of 1 star 'reviews' from people who have probably never set foot in the place, all talking about gentrification and how 'offensive' the place is. That's just wrong.
She should have had common sense to realize how stupid it was. The fact that she didn't means she deserves whatever comes her way in terms of outrage. The kiddie gloves come out for certain people.

There are hundreds of other gentrifiers, that have opened businesses without any uproar. This business owner was just dumb and she should try all over again, I'm sure she has the funds.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
This isn't about the restaurant. It's about gentrification aka white people moving into a non-white neighborhood.
No it's about the audacity of some of these gentrifiers. Like I said white ppl have been moving in and opening businesses, at successful rates for years. If you think for a second a black person could open an opioids and crackers themed restaurant in a white neighborhood and not last a day without getting shut down. I have abridge to sell you. But hey opioids and crackers are not synonymous with white People, right

Old 07-24-2017, 06:48 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
Don't see what the problem is. Let them drink their 40s...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City