U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:03 AM

9,916 posts, read 7,681,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Huh? Wtf does uber have in common with a single location owner operated restaurant? Have you lost your mind?
He likes far fetched comparisons. For example, he stated that black men can't become the next Gates or Zuckerberg, but pretty much 99.9999999999999999999% of white man can't either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 07:16 AM

20,134 posts, read 26,416,255 times
How much do they get for a 40 ounce bottle of Rose in a paper bag?

Old 07-24-2017, 09:02 AM

2,337 posts, read 3,324,194 times
It's in poor taste to open up a business in a community then mock the history (or the troubled past) of that community. If the people who live in the neighborhood are offended by it, then they are in their right to protest it.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:31 AM

9,916 posts, read 7,681,611 times
Imagine the backlash if the owner opened up a 24/7 music blasting dope selling ice cream truck.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:37 AM

152 posts, read 54,262 times
Well as we say here.......oh she ain't know? Well, she gon' learn today. Her idea was corny - she could have executed it in a cool way without offending everyone. And when I read an article about this matter - this was the stupidest comment of the century.....she says:

“We call it [a bullet hole-ridden wall] because if you look at the history, someone seriously said, 'Isn't that the place where we could buy guns? And then we were like, 'okay.'" (The “history” she refers to is an anonymous comment left on a community website post about the building.) Brennan defended this fictionalized historical narrative as, like the bathroom wallpaper, “cheeky.”

Who takes an anonymous online comment and runs with it. No fact checking at all? SMH stupid deserves whatever she gets...girl bye.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:12 PM

987 posts, read 2,174,060 times
I lived up the street from here for many years, and when I can say St Marks is probably one of the safest corners on Nostrand Ave it is. The public library and Children's Museum is right up the street so foot traffic tends to be heavy on this block. What used to be here was a a regular Arab corner store. The owner and kids lived in the building above the store. Which again is just a regular prewar rent stabilized building. Each corner has a store, and out of any of them I would come here. Never had to worry about cigarette or weed smoke being blown in my face. He never had guys hanging out his his store making "transactions". He kept it that way cause lots of people would come in here after and before leaving the museum. The corner store a across the street was night & day, as they all are. He also owned the 99 a few doors down.
The area Nostrand Ave has changed tremendously since I've moved. So many new bars and restaurants have opened along the strip between Atlantic Ave & Eastern Parkway alone. The community has embraced them without a fight. I was just at happy hour at a bar on St Johns. The crowd was mixed and enjoyable. Now this new place here just took it left.. I see why the community is outraged. I honestly don't see the place lasting long with other new establishments in the area that didn't need a phony glorified ghetto theme attached to it.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:55 PM

152 posts, read 54,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
I lived up the street from here for many years, and when I can say St Marks is probably one of the safest corners on Nostrand Ave it is. The public library and Children's Museum is right up the street so foot traffic tends to be heavy on this block. What used to be here was a a regular Arab corner store. The owner and kids lived in the building above the store. Which again is just a regular prewar rent stabilized building. Each corner has a store, and out of any of them I would come here. Never had to worry about cigarette or weed smoke being blown in my face. He never had guys hanging out his his store making "transactions". He kept it that way cause lots of people would come in here after and before leaving the museum. The corner store a across the street was night & day, as they all are. He also owned the 99 a few doors down.
The area Nostrand Ave has changed tremendously since I've moved. So many new bars and restaurants have opened along the strip between Atlantic Ave & Eastern Parkway alone. The community has embraced them without a fight. I was just at happy hour at a bar on St Johns. The crowd was mixed and enjoyable. Now this new place here just took it left.. I see why the community is outraged. I honestly don't see the place lasting long with other new establishments in the area that didn't need a phony glorified ghetto theme attached to it.
Well said and the fact that you know the area and store personally make this the best post so far! I am shocked that this business owner actually thought this was a cute idea. She must be off. I mean when a person travels to another country don't they research the culture at least a little? Are you telling me she didn't ask anyone what they thought of her "idea". I suspect she doesn't have any "real" friends. Cause girlllllll...... somebody should have told you! Honestly the whole theme is just corny...and stupid, I don't care who or what came up with it. She needs to have several seats.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:45 PM

10,331 posts, read 7,229,362 times
Next will be rooftop luxurious diner in castle hill projects or corporate pool party in Brownsville

Old 07-24-2017, 06:11 PM

1,957 posts, read 1,046,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am in disagreement. See several outraged hipsters in the DailyNews article.
There are lots of hipsters out there who are ditsy enough to go to a place like this.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:23 PM

987 posts, read 2,174,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Next will be rooftop luxurious diner in castle hill projects or corporate pool party in Brownsville
We already have cabanas at Besty Head pool in Brownsville!!! Bring on the pool side bar!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or