U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:03 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,485,824 times

Advertisements

And stop calling me "dude" and "man". wtf? You don't know my gender, you ain't been down my pants. Your posts here speak for themselves, but seriously, back off in conversations about real life stuff you know jack nut about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 09:10 PM

328 posts, read 230,260 times
One thing I dislike about these housing programs is that they obscure the cost to the taxpayers. The programs are funded by tax breaks to developers. This reduces government revenue for essential services, so other taxpayers must make up the difference (one way or another).

Housing vouchers would be preferable, because we would then know the exact cost. Once we know the cost, then we have a way of judging whether the program is worth it and whether it should be eliminated, scaled back, or expanded. I am actually not in favor of government involvement in housing at all, but if it must be involved, it should at least be transparent.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:24 PM

958 posts, read 479,164 times
Stop being so successful you n00bs

Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,485,824 times
Very good point. When some people hear "tax breaks for new apartments being built" they forget that it comes from our tax collective. And the thing is it's coming from our CITY and LOCAL taxes, not from the Feds. But dig deep into the investors of some of these buildings (like in "Pacific Park", Brooklyn :/ ) and it might make the hair on the back of your neck stand up! We are being conditioned to do nothing but bicker and fight amongst ourselves so we lose sight of the bigger, creepier, picture. We really have all been sleeping!!!!

Old 07-25-2017, 09:54 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Very good point. When some people hear "tax breaks for new apartments being built" they forget that it comes from our tax collective. And the thing is it's coming from our CITY and LOCAL taxes, not from the Feds. But dig deep into the investors of some of these buildings (like in "Pacific Park", Brooklyn :/ ) and it might make the hair on the back of your neck stand up! We are being conditioned to do nothing but bicker and fight amongst ourselves so we lose sight of the bigger, creepier, picture. We really have all been sleeping!!!!
Developers get the tax break, that isn't a charity.
They're getting a BREAK they need to build, and in exchange for their loss- they're taxed less.

Then the taxes are paid by those who work, and given to those who don't.

Who's been sleeping?
The disparity between Poor and Middle Class is Shrinking and between Middle Class and Rich is growing.
Biggest difference is the poor doesn't work.

I'd get the hell out of New York if I already hadn't.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:12 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Quote:
quote:
Good you moved along. You'll be better for it.

Personally, I'd rather become a crustie and annoy people like YOU who's only suggestions are to MOVE out. I'd make a good crustie too... I already have a crustie-like dog!
You actually don't annoy me by going homeless. Why would I care? You won't be the first, last, or the only homeless person.

If you're able to find your own genuine happiness in life and do what's best for yourself, I would be happy for you.

But trust me when I say you wouldn't annoy me as a homeless. I'm gonna walk by you just like I walk by the others.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:14 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Quote:
And stop calling me "dude" and "man". wtf? You don't know my gender, you ain't been down my pants. Your posts here speak for themselves, but seriously, back off in conversations about real life stuff you know jack nut about.
I call everyone regardless of gender dude and if they cannot handle it, it is their problem, not mine. You haven't gotten the memo? Trump is President and no one cares if someone cries when someone isn't politically correct.

So dude, someone being offended doesn't matter, and accusations of misgendering are so Obama era. He ain't the President anymore.

The political sensitive regarding gender ONLY happened because the department of education threatened to deny funding to institutions who didn't get with their program re: transgenders and re: Title IX rape hysteria investigations. But Betsy DeVos, appointed by Trump, has undone all the Obama era regulations. It's over. Just think a woman ended that kind of political correctness. And it needed to be ENDED.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:55 AM

785 posts, read 344,449 times
Well, I made up my mind a while ago to leave this city. I'm just making my preparations. This particular issue doesn't affect me because I don't use housing services tied to the city. But I recognize it as just another example of how people in the middle are getting squeezed here. If you're making $70K - $140K and you're depending on housing subsidies, you're doing something seriously wrong. Why people feel it's better to scratch and scrape in NYC rather than to live comfortably elsewhere, I'll never understand.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 AM

174 posts, read 110,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
Well, I made up my mind a while ago to leave this city. I'm just making my preparations. This particular issue doesn't affect me because I don't use housing services tied to the city. But I recognize it as just another example of how people in the middle are getting squeezed here. If you're making $70K - $140K and you're depending on housing subsidies, you're doing something seriously wrong. Why people feel it's better to scratch and scrape in NYC rather than to live comfortably elsewhere, I'll never understand.
Whether you're depending on housing subsidies or not, you're paying for them. It affects you either way.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,122,470 times
i love Aquarius37

the middle class in this city makes 100k a year

so true

lol

this city is for out of state morons making $100k+ a year willing to shell out $3,000 a month for a 1 bedroom and the fast food workers who serve their iced mocha lattes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or