U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 12:51 PM

2,581 posts, read 2,675,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Middle class people drink, smoke weed, and more..........
I think people in all strata do that. It has nothing to do with financial class. Some people are sober, some aren't, and some are former addicts and completely dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
The donor class includes the poor. They also vote in these policies.

No one pays the same share of taxes. We don't have a flat tax.
The rich in New York are taxed quite heavily as a percentage. Sure, federally they get away with a lot of exemptions, but they still pay the lions share of all general revenue taxes.
... and how exactly are the lowest third of New Yorkers paying their fair share? They receive subsidies and contribute zero to the tax base.

How can you say the middle class deserves subsides without also forcing ourselves (the middle class) to request from another class?

How about personal responsibility without major government intervention?
Like how nearly the rest of the county does it.
Do you think the only taxes paid are income taxes? I know for a fact that every time my LL gets a tax increse it translates into my rent going up. DOLLAR TO DOLLAR.

And you are quibbling about dollars from people when people with more power than yourself are taking thousands and millions.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:37 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,520,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Do you think the only taxes paid are income taxes? I know for a fact that every time my LL gets a tax increse it translates into my rent going up. DOLLAR TO DOLLAR.

And you are quibbling about dollars from people when people with more power than yourself are taking thousands and millions.
Except some landlords get tax and ownership increases that they by law CANNOT pass down to their tenants based on rent control.

Those same landlords have limited tax increases despite the value of their building/land being substantial- this creates a shortfall that is made up by ALL taxpayers.

I don't care if others have thousands or millions.
I'd be hypocritical to say my taxes shouldn't go to the poor but I should collect from people richer than I.

There's balanced systems out there. They do NOT exist properly in New York.
Everyone gets screwed to favor over the poor in New York, which is a big part as to why there are so many of them. Meanwhile, they still have a hard lot at it. Go figure.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:47 PM

6,840 posts, read 4,439,310 times
why would developers/landowners want low income folks to live in the fancy luxury buildings? I know of the poor door but i feel like those elites would not want to rub elbows with those folks.

I remember watching a documentary on the Avenue School. In it, there was this black guy who worked as a doorman that won a lottery apt at one of those luxury buildings. 2nd floor all the way at the end. He was was walking out of his apt his boys and a group of white girls were coming from the streets to their apt and when they saw those black dudes they rushed to their apt and put every lock on their door. (LOL)

Old 07-27-2017, 01:48 PM

2,459 posts, read 1,816,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
Well, I made up my mind a while ago to leave this city. I'm just making my preparations. This particular issue doesn't affect me because I don't use housing services tied to the city. But I recognize it as just another example of how people in the middle are getting squeezed here. If you're making $70K - $140K and you're depending on housing subsidies, you're doing something seriously wrong. Why people feel it's better to scratch and scrape in NYC rather than to live comfortably elsewhere, I'll never understand.
How are you going to lump a person who's making 70K with someone of 140K? A person who's making 70K may have student loan debt, and may also have to care for a family. Salaries of 70K - 80K are not what they seem, although you can save money, but you are indeed taxed heavily. You may not be able to live in market rate housing - only rent stabilized. Plus I have never seen any affordable housing for singles making over 101K.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:14 PM

20,163 posts, read 21,760,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Chicago got rid of the housing projects. They put them in mixed income housing in working class areas. Chicago has a murder rate three times that of NYC, despite having one third or less of that population. The areas people from the housing projects were removed to became the new ghettoes.

Did the Destruction of Chicago

So all they did was reduce crime in the city center and put relocate it to the outskirts of the city and to poor suburbs.
Chicago did this en masse in a short amount of time without much in metrics or projections in trying to figure out how things will work out. I don't think mixed income housing in working class areas is necessarily undoable by itself, but when you go with the sheer volume in a short amount of time Chicago did this in, then I think you're really playing with fire. Mayor Mike was probably our best mayor in recent times in that sense--he was actually interested in trying to measure results. I'd like to see that mentality be propagated to any and all city, municipal, state, and federal programs.

I think the only overarching lesson from Chicago is to not do that. What I'd like to see is what the pre-K program yields with actual follow-up and detailed longitudinal analysis of the results, an expansion of family planning and education programs in the city, and a piloting of project housing to co-op ownership (with a massive flip tax that is well-regulated) be tried.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
why would developers/landowners want low income folks to live in the fancy luxury buildings? I know of the poor door but i feel like those elites would not want to rub elbows with those folks.

I remember watching a documentary on the Avenue School. In it, there was this black guy who worked as a doorman that won a lottery apt at one of those luxury buildings. 2nd floor all the way at the end. He was was walking out of his apt his boys and a group of white girls were coming from the streets to their apt and when they saw those black dudes they rushed to their apt and put every lock on their door. (LOL)

Let's reframe the question. Why would anyone sue anything that deviates from pure self interest? Maybe because people would prefer not to walk over the homeless people on their way to work?

How about because the city gives them an incentive to do so as any well planned society should?

Old 07-27-2017, 05:12 PM

23,262 posts, read 16,082,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post

The developers will do it to get tax credits, and how the people living there doesn't really matter because they've made their money and gone.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:13 PM

74 posts, read 102,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
The issue is not because they are poor, the issue is the behavior and lack of civility that the avg. poor person (not all) imposes on the building and neighborhood.

Middle class folks who work hard for their money do not want to come home to their building and see ghetto a$$ tenants/neighbors chillin' in the building steps, smoking weed, drinking, playing dice or having loud a$$ conversations. Its a quality of life issue.

Middle class people don't want to live around ghetto folks. Afterall, you work so hard so you can live in a nice place where you don't have to be exposed to all that ghetto sh*t. It's common sense.

You couldn't pay me to live in such an environment. So do you actually think middle class folks will rent these apartment? Very few will. The remaining vacant apartments that were set aside for middle class folks will be rented by ghetto people. And its downhill from there. The predominate culture (hood culture) will plant their roots there. Might as well make it a full blown housing project! De Blasio needs to be voted out!
Wow! Way to generalize! I'm a solid middle income tenant with an advanced degree at 535 Carlton. And thank God those of us here are building community and talking to each other and helping each other. You sound like a ****ty racist person. I'm happy to be living in a mixed income building and hope all the tenants in this building can use this to move forward with their lives. And FYI people of all classes and levels of wealth are smoking and enjoying pot all over this city. Maybe a hit or two would mellow you out.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:17 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,494,372 times
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or