U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 06:52 AM

42 posts, read 26,782 times

Advertisements

People dont understand the reason NYC was cleaned up. Its because of the Broken Windows theory and it WORKS.

If you can nab people for small crimes, you are 100% factually preventing larger ones because they are the same people who are willing to do even worse.

But I guess people like that crime is rising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 07:31 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,643,254 times
Lets see how littering, pissing on the streets and turnstile jumping is doing in 5 years in this city. Now that the city has legitimized them all, in fact effectively condoned them, it would be surprising if we don't see a slide backwards in all of those. It will take time to seep through into behavior, but it will happen.

Now if only the city council could get the NYS penal code and decriminalize car theft, breaking & entering, and other minor inconveniences the outlawing of which just get in the way of a punk having a good time.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:36 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,242,469 times
DeBlasio wants to blame Cuomo for MTA's state of disrepair. How will MTA pay for anything once nobody has to pay to use it anymore? This is stupid.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:36 AM

3,688 posts, read 1,202,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Lawmakers look to decriminalize turnstile jumping

DiBlasio just keeps making everything illegal that his voters do on a regular basis, not a criminal act. Simply a ticket that they will never pay.

People SWEAR that there is no way DiBlasio will get re-elected. I PROMISE you, he will. He just has to keep taking care of the specific groups that he knows will turn out in favor of him.

Things that have been decriminalized since DiBlasio took office:

Pissing in the street = Only a ticket now
Loud Music late at night? = No cop can enter premises to issue a ticket
Smoking weed in the street? = Only a ticket
Drinking in Public? = Only a ticket
Crossing in the middle of the street against the light? = Vision Zero will target the driver for hitting you, instead of the pedestrian who should have crossed at the crosswalk
Jumping Turnstile = Soon to only be a ticket

What's next?

Glad I don't live down there! NYC is a nice place to visit, but as far as living??? I have a better quality of life and cheaper CoL in my little city upstate. And I don't have any neighbors on my street who blare music late at night!

Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 AM

1,840 posts, read 1,695,192 times
Do people in bad neighborhoods still use the rear doors of city buses to get on without paying?

Old 07-26-2017, 09:31 AM

849 posts, read 453,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Do people in bad neighborhoods still use the rear doors of city buses to get on without paying?
On my bus ride from east harlem to CCNY about 15% of the people I see getting on the bus do this

Old 07-26-2017, 10:39 AM

1,219 posts, read 971,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Lol yeah, especially in the Bronx and Harlem.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:05 PM

3,067 posts, read 6,141,402 times
I understand quality of life. I grew up in a community where a tenant leader stressed it (keep off the grass, curtains in the window, no bikes along the project paths, etc!). In fact, subsequent leaders got that concept from her, I believe.

However, some of these offenses have been clearly overcharged! Like the post I put up of an elderly lady not having a ticket to go on the Bx12 Select. I mean, a ticket is one thing, to an old lady.......by five damn cops surrounding her as it's being administered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or