Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:26 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,460,040 times

Advertisements

Lawmakers look to decriminalize turnstile jumping

DiBlasio just keeps making everything illegal that his voters do on a regular basis, not a criminal act. Simply a ticket that they will never pay.

People SWEAR that there is no way DiBlasio will get re-elected. I PROMISE you, he will. He just has to keep taking care of the specific groups that he knows will turn out in favor of him.

Things that have been decriminalized since DiBlasio took office:

Pissing in the street = Only a ticket now
Loud Music late at night? = No cop can enter premises to issue a ticket
Smoking weed in the street? = Only a ticket
Drinking in Public? = Only a ticket
Crossing in the middle of the street against the light? = Vision Zero will target the driver for hitting you, instead of the pedestrian who should have crossed at the crosswalk
Jumping Turnstile = Soon to only be a ticket

What's next?

Last edited by Werdywerd; 07-25-2017 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 07:27 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,248 times
good.

I can stop buying an unlimited monthly!

can this city be anymore on a downswing? wtf

Old 07-25-2017, 07:50 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Yay, Free Train Rides!!!

Old 07-25-2017, 07:54 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,248 times
I'm going to test this out tomorrow morning on my way to work. (**** you not)

I suggest WE ALL DO!

Old 07-25-2017, 08:13 PM

329 posts, read 299,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
good.

I can stop buying an unlimited monthly!

can this city be anymore on a downswing? wtf
Funny

Old 07-25-2017, 10:24 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
In the 90s turnstile jumping is too common and it's not unusual to someone jumping over. Then the crackdown happened. Back then you don't have many police patrolling subway stations or posing undercover.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:29 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Most of that stuff was only a ticket to begin with.

And I really don't think something like an open container should be punished any more severely than a small ticket if at all.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Lawmakers look to decriminalize turnstile jumping

DiBlasio just keeps making everything illegal that his voters do on a regular basis, not a criminal act. Simply a ticket that they will never pay.

People SWEAR that there is no way DiBlasio will get re-elected. I PROMISE you, he will. He just has to keep taking care of the specific groups that he knows will turn out in favor of him.

Things that have been decriminalized since DiBlasio took office:

Pissing in the street = Only a ticket now
Loud Music late at night? = No cop can enter premises to issue a ticket
Smoking weed in the street? = Only a ticket
Drinking in Public? = Only a ticket
Crossing in the middle of the street against the light? = Vision Zero will target the driver for hitting you, instead of the pedestrian who should have crossed at the crosswalk
Jumping Turnstile = Soon to only be a ticket

What's next?
People drink in public all the time. People smoke weed in public. Obviously homeless people **** in the streets all the time. The threat of jail is not a deterrent for this stuff.

The NYPD never consistently did anything about those issues.

NYC became too much of a nanny/tattletale state.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:04 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,118 times
this offense should be a low level misdemeanor with an at your discretion ticket.

I heard that you can be arrested and ran through the system, that is the problem. It did help get some very "bad hombres" off of the streets , from warrants, weapons possession . But it also messed up peoples entire work/school day over not paying a fare. broken windows!

some of these transit cops are gung ho to begin with, with alot to prove, stressed out over citing infractions. IN the 90s, many teens got roughed up over fare evasion, because they were too quick, and too many at one time. not fair as our group used to jump the train to go to the pool in the summer, or to get lost in the city. Minors getting smacked for not paying the fare.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:11 AM

3,730 posts, read 3,460,040 times
Born and raised in NYC. South Bronx ghetto. Never once did I feel I needed to do any of the above listed crimes/violations.

So why can't every other decent NY'er do the same? Why let fare beating and drinking in public slide?

The reason NYC turned a corner and became as safe as it is today is because of broken windows policing. Yes some innocent people perhaps we're caught up in it all for a stupid mistake, but over all bad criminals with warrants we're found because of it and taken off streets. Hell just a few weeks ago I remember a story of a guy carrying multiple concealed guns and was stupid enough to get cause fare beating. So saying it doesn't work is bull, just look at NYC in the 80s and 90s and look at crime today. All because of broken windows policing, get them on minor crimes and run them thru the system to see what other crimes they are wanted for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City