Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:35 PM

8 posts, read 83,148 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in a Brooklyn NYCHA, but I hate it here. I have 3 bedrooms and looking to do a transfer to a 2 bedroom in another housing development. If you know any good/safe Housing Developments in Brooklyn, Queens or Manhattan please let me know. I have a 15 year old son, so it's very important to me.

So far I heard Brooklyn Hope Gardens is nice, and for Manhattan East Side 2, it a good area. The developments aren't availablity for 2 bedrooms.

I look forward to hearing your selections. Thank you in advance.

Alexis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 08:00 AM

9 posts, read 52,051 times
Try applying to the Alfred E. Smith houses, downtown Manhattan. Lived there for years.

Proximity to Chinatown, South Seaport, almost every train line.

Good luck

Old 05-16-2010, 07:47 PM

8 posts, read 96,990 times
I put in my application for nycha in Jan- Feb. and I got my interview for June 2. My question is I have a son but he is still a baby will nycha give me a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom. And how old does your son have to be in order to get a 2 bedroom. I have read a bunch of ur posts and it really helped me a lot so hopefully all u guys can help me again. I am looking to move to Brooklyn so can u give me some tips on which projects that are close to Bedford-Stuy are good that you know of

Last edited by Nu Nu1989; 05-16-2010 at 07:55 PM..

Old 05-22-2010, 10:10 AM

8 posts, read 47,171 times
"projects that are close to Bedford-Stuy that are good"

There is no such thing...

if you want to try williamsburg houses that is the closest to good you can get.

if it has to be in bed stuy, then i would probably choose Marcy due to the growing jewish population and annexation. The only thing with Marcy is the roach problem is unbelievable.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:44 PM

144 posts, read 324,396 times
None are safe and good places for a child - the "hood" tends to grab a hold of them around the age of 15 and its no turning back from there. The quality of housing projects vary. The projects in the lower East Side are mild compared to Mott Haven/Patterson projects in the Bronx. Good luck! You may be better off looking for an apartment/section 8 outside of-these complexes.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:49 PM

6 posts, read 89,379 times
ist not really about wat projects is gud just dont go 2 ne bad 1s like ne in brownsville brooklyn , or far rockaway queens uncluding redfern , beach 41st , ocean bay , carelton manor and hammels dnt go 2 ne in south jamaica likesouth jamaica houses baisley park houses is getting a lil better but dnt espect ne thing great , dnt go 2 pink houses in east new york , nd probly cypress hills in east new york , farragut houses in downtown brooklyn has some problems , breuklyn projects in canarsie has high crime ,queensbridge has got better but still sint great cuz has alot of crime nd gangs , the polo ground towers in harlem isnt known for being bad but it suffers from gangs nd st nichalos in ahrlem has sum troubles 2 having crime wity a large african american community just try 2 pick sum besides thos

Old 08-08-2010, 02:51 PM

6 posts, read 89,379 times
kingsborough in bed stuy has alot of crime 2 i forgot 2 mention nd like i said pink houses by the movie theater is horrible 1 of the worst i nycha

Old 08-08-2010, 03:38 PM

684 posts, read 1,819,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somesnapper View Post
None are safe and good places for a child - the "hood" tends to grab a hold of them around the age of 15 and its no turning back from there. The quality of housing projects vary. The projects in the lower East Side are mild compared to Mott Haven/Patterson projects in the Bronx. Good luck! You may be better off looking for an apartment/section 8 outside of-these complexes.
I dont know why more people dont use this option

Old 08-08-2010, 04:14 PM

34,027 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
I dont know why more people dont use this option
well section 8 is still currently frozen from what i understand, and NYCHA is the cheapest way to go in terms of renting. mitchell-lama is another alternative.
it is actually good that more people are showing interest in NYCHA. i hope they return to working class complexes like they formerly were.

they should offer anybody with a municipal job an apartment. im sure they would get snatched up.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-08-2010, 05:51 PM

684 posts, read 1,819,282 times
Im not saying it shouldnt be an option..but I get the feeling many look at is as their ONLY option. I think many would be surprised to find out what they can get if they pushed the envelope a little more. Of course everyone has their own situation..but I just hope people are exhausting ALL of their options. Thats all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City