U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2017, 10:55 PM
 
4,784 posts, read 4,667,418 times
Reputation: 5521

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Yeah because you are ensuring that your wages, benefits, pension, and healthcare are decimated.

You are shooting yourself in the foot by not donating to the Political Action Committee.

Our bosses, the pharmaceutical companies, the insurance companies, etc... you can bet they are donating to politicians and spending money on lobbiests. If we don't have the money to mobilize our members and fight for more healthcare jobs, better wages, better health insurance regulations etc.. then they will set the agenda and we will lose many of the benefits and wages we have

For instance the last "political nonsense" the union spent a lot of money on was fighting for $15 minimum wage. If we didn't mobilize for that, we would not have won that into law in NYC. Because it is now state law, tens of thousands of 1199 home health aides and other healthcare workers saw major increases in their wages.

Another example is the loss of Obamacare that 1199 is using money to fight. If we lose Obamacare the cost for our employer based health insurance plans could go up causing us to pay higher co-pays and deductibles. Right now I'm blessed because my contract I have $0 co-pay premiums which allow me to go to the doctor when I need to without fearing a big bill that could cause me to go into debt. If I lost that I don't know how I'd take care of my health

Nah. Ensuring that they pay the useless dudes who come around and do nothing.

Or sending tons of crap mailers and paying for shirts.

1199 still owes me money. I won't be in that union forever anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2017, 07:22 AM
bg7
 
7,698 posts, read 7,633,154 times
Reputation: 14991
The hotel unions have effectively sunk AirBnB for homeowners in NYC. Go to many other cities in the World, like Barcelona say, and you can live like the locals on your vacation. In NYC you gotta stay in a generic tourist trap and feed your money to the chain hotel corporations - not NYC residents hoping to make some money on the side. Lose lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2017, 01:52 PM
 
1,007 posts, read 580,563 times
Reputation: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Nah. Ensuring that they pay the useless dudes who come around and do nothing.

Or sending tons of crap mailers and paying for shirts.

1199 still owes me money. I won't be in that union forever anyway.
This Kind of attitude is ruining our union.

1. Yes. I agree with you many organizers are useless, however we do need organizers to process grievances to help us organize against abusive work conditions etc... many of the organizers should be reviewed and replaced so this is valid criticism. My organizer is terrible but we have good delegates and active members in my shop and that makes up for it somewhat.

2. Mailers are important to get members involved and keep people update on what our union is doing to fight for us. If we didn't send out mailers thousands of nembers wouldn't show up at our events. If thousands of members didn't show up, politicians wouldn't fear us.

3. T-shirts are important because it projects unity and power when people see thousands of worker dress in purple they know we are a force to be reckoned with. Our t-shirts also inspire union pride.

If you believe that is what our dues and PAC is paying for you are sadly mistaken it is not even 1%. Because of our alliance with the printers union and the garment workers union, we get those items extremely discounted anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2017, 01:55 PM
 
1,007 posts, read 580,563 times
Reputation: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The hotel unions have effectively sunk AirBnB for homeowners in NYC. Go to many other cities in the World, like Barcelona say, and you can live like the locals on your vacation. In NYC you gotta stay in a generic tourist trap and feed your money to the chain hotel corporations - not NYC residents hoping to make some money on the side. Lose lose.
Not really the hotel workers union as much as the actual hotel lobby and the hotel coporations. It was also against the law because AirBNB effectively raises median rent and makes apartments more scarce.

If a homeowner knows they can make $2000 a month for an apartment they rent vs. $10,000 a month booking it to tourists of course they'll take the section option. That raises rent, creates scarcity, and exacerbates the housing crisis so it was a matter of logic for local government to oppose this measure.

Besides protecting the wages and jobs of hotel workers is important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2017, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Where my bills arrive
7,172 posts, read 8,762,828 times
Reputation: 6948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Unions tend to change political alliances all the time when things don't go their way. I can't blame them.
Ultimately their first priority is to ensure the union leadership needs are met, the membership is secondary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2017, 03:14 PM
 
18,270 posts, read 11,663,507 times
Reputation: 11881
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Not really the hotel workers union as much as the actual hotel lobby and the hotel coporations. It was also against the law because AirBNB effectively raises median rent and makes apartments more scarce.

If a homeowner knows they can make $2000 a month for an apartment they rent vs. $10,000 a month booking it to tourists of course they'll take the section option. That raises rent, creates scarcity, and exacerbates the housing crisis so it was a matter of logic for local government to oppose this measure.

Besides protecting the wages and jobs of hotel workers is important

Apartments are "scarce" and rents rising (which they truly aren't in most market rate situations), for a host of reasons, and AirBnB is not top among them.


Rent control laws along with taxes, zoning, high land and construction costs are primary reasons for the rental housing situation in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2017, 11:01 PM
 
4,784 posts, read 4,667,418 times
Reputation: 5521
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
This Kind of attitude is ruining our union.

1. Yes. I agree with you many organizers are useless, however we do need organizers to process grievances to help us organize against abusive work conditions etc... many of the organizers should be reviewed and replaced so this is valid criticism. My organizer is terrible but we have good delegates and active members in my shop and that makes up for it somewhat.
No, what is ruining the union is the nonsense in the union. They don't care about anyone on the individual level.

At my previous job, the union people did absolutely nothing. My previous employer still owes me money, which I'm sure the union wouldn't do squat to help resolve. The organizer walked in the place like he was the pimp---dressed like one too---laughable. They were the ones (the head union folk) who incorrectly told me that I shouldn't have been getting paid a certain wage when I should have been. They didn't fight for me. When I complained that I wasn't working the shift I was hired for, they did nothing. The union, once again, took initiation dues out of my paycheck, which they still owe me, even though the paperwork was supposedly filed for a refund.

Now they're not taking dues out when they should be from another job, which I'm sure will mess with my pension. My previous coworker had twice been informed he had no coverage because some moron kept putting in his SS wrong. Another previous coworker was hired for evenings and basically lied (bait and switch) and wanted her to do nights as long as they needed her to do so and the union just sat there alongside her not doing a damn thing.

Our organizer kept pushing my coworker to have other people sign the cards to raise the dues. And the only people who were signing were the ones who wouldn't be impacted---meaning, they fell below the threshold of the "who would not have their dues increased"---sounds like unity to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top