U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 04:43 PM

18,338 posts, read 11,748,802 times

Advertisements

Ditto for homeless, and others including veterans.

First come, first served.

Cuomo's New Affordable Housing Program Ditches Community Preferences: Gothamist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 04:57 PM

2,463 posts, read 1,828,366 times
Well, for the exception of seniors, veterans, and for the disabled, I never cared for CB preference. CB preference isn't fair in my opinion. I mean, if you're thinking about moving, you shouldn't necessarily be thinking about moving around the corner!

Old 07-26-2017, 05:09 PM

386 posts, read 291,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Well, for the exception of seniors, veterans, and for the disabled, I never cared for CB preference. CB preference isn't fair in my opinion. I mean, if you're thinking about moving, you shouldn't necessarily be thinking about moving around the corner!
I second that, unless you're like me and just trying to move out of your parents apartment lol in that case I don't care if it's another borough or around the corner. CB never really applied to me though

Old 07-26-2017, 05:09 PM

18,338 posts, read 11,748,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post

True enough one supposes, but this won't do anything to ease minds of those living in fast or whatever gentrifying areas.

Yes, it means someone from the worst part of East New York may stand a better chance at getting a lottery apartment say in Manhattan. But it also means that for places like Harlem, much of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens a group won't necessarily be guaranteed a spot just because you happen to live in area.

Take Williamsburg. The Jews out there love to take "affordable housing" dollars but try their best to make sure only their kind get those new units.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:36 PM

2,463 posts, read 1,828,366 times
CB for around the corner is ridiculous anyway. As for my own area, they will begin to construct affordable housing and of course I wont qualify. Supposedly, I make too much. There was one project that went up in my community and the income ranges where ridiculously low - just like all the ones from the Bronx.

So the question I ask is, when can I use the stupid CB preference? The answer is never - that's when. If I lived at Kips Bay, CB preference would've gotten me the lottery I really wanted because my log # was only 2xx. This is why I don't think CB preference is fair. I can never use it as I don't qualify for living in a low income area nor can I ever use it for not living in a middle income area!

Old 07-26-2017, 06:18 PM

78 posts, read 69,102 times
Good. I live in a community board that never has affordable housing. I think this is the way these lotteries should be. It's only fair.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:41 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,504,254 times
I am glad they removed the CB preference. Some areas have a TON of new developments and some areas basically have zero. This evens out the playing field a bit.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:11 AM

45 posts, read 20,321 times
This is a good move. Too bad my log number is so high in the Essex Crossing lottery that I will never get called anyway.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:17 AM

532 posts, read 460,425 times
they need to remove that stupid CB preferences
they need to do a real lottery. if there's 100 apartment.
just pick 100 numbers from the list and call it a day.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:56 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,677,490 times
The no community preference applies only to state funded projects, according to the article. City funded projects will keep the community preference and also the homeless preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or