U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 10:25 AM

7,125 posts, read 5,496,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
People smoke cigarettes in the streets. There is nothing wrong with smoking weed in the streets and in st least 8 states you have legal recreational marijuana.
I find it amazing how everyone has been trying to ban the disgusting habit of smoking cigarettes for decades wherever possible, and now because getting high on marijuana is trendy it's ok to smoke the cannabis wherever you want, never mind that it's just as bad as tobacco.

If people want to do drugs that permeate everyone else's air, they should be doing it in a sealed f'ng chamber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 10:27 AM

7,125 posts, read 5,496,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Some people didn't read the article well: "Mayor de Blasio, the NYPD and four of the city’s five district attorneys have signed off on the plan, which would apply only to warrants older than 10 years..."

I know the statute of limitations don't usually apply to warrants but I think quashing these old warrants make sense. Going forward I would expect them to enforce these QOL issues but I don't think one strike for turnstile jumping should lead to a record that would preclude one from getting a job.
What's the rationale behind this mass amnesty? You are not accountable for your actions?

Hey might as well do whatever you want, because in 10 years it'll all be forgiven, right?

Old 07-28-2017, 12:31 PM

23,248 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I find it amazing how everyone has been trying to ban the disgusting habit of smoking cigarettes for decades wherever possible, and now because getting high on marijuana is trendy it's ok to smoke the cannabis wherever you want, never mind that it's just as bad as tobacco.

If people want to do drugs that permeate everyone else's air, they should be doing it in a sealed f'ng chamber
No. Nothing is wrong with smoking cigarettes or weed outside. I support banning any smoking in the workplace or a place of business. But outside on the street or parks? No.

There's a big lack of manhood here where people look for a nanny state to protect them from the slightest inconveniece. Too much feminity coming from some so called men.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:40 PM

152 posts, read 54,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No. Nothing is wrong with smoking cigarettes or weed outside. I support banning any smoking in the workplace or a place of business. But outside on the street or parks? No.

There's a big lack of manhood here where people look for a nanny state to protect them from the slightest inconveniece. Too much feminity coming from some so called men.

I hear what both of you gentlemen are saying. I am not sure that anyone needs/wants the government to intervene in matter of common decency. I think it's a bit simple, would you do these things in front of your children, parents, grandparents? In their face? if so then......I think there is a huge difference in what people deem acceptable public behavior. And let's just say no one will agree and everyone will just continue to to what works for them and be selfish.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:14 PM

88 posts, read 30,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
America is a totalitarian police state. NSA Wiretapping the entire population? Militarized police? Repression of peaceful protestors. American technology has provided the type of police state that 20th century regimes could only DREAM of. You are just blind to the facts.

A surveillance state isn't necessarily a totalitarian one. Neither is an authoritarian state the same as a totalitarian one. Read Hannah Arendt's The Origins of Totalitarianism to gain a clearer understanding of the term.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:18 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,487,617 times
quote:

I never. EVER. EVER EVER EVER call people trolls on the internet because I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. But oof.... You're all over the place with your beliefs. It's hysterical! What do you write about? I'm curious. I find writers are great people, but you come across as a total d. Have you ever published anything (and sorry, self-published academic fart-sniffing journal articles your parents paid tuition for while you did it do not count)

So enlighten us.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:26 PM

88 posts, read 30,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

Yes. I find it amusing how offended marijuana lovers become, when someone criticizes their beloved weed even in the slightest. I've even been called a hypocrite by a pot user because I drink alcoholic beverages, yet I don't smoke pot.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:38 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,487,617 times
There's a ton of future money to be made of pot, versus regulated cigarettes these days. Big companies have their eyes on the prize as do politicians. It is gross. I expect smoking pot to be as gross and dirty as it is deemed smoking regular cigarettes are now, 10 years from now. Let people have their fun, but at the end of the day there's always gonna be fun smashers, money grubbers, and government goons trying to get in on it. I'd rather buy my weed from individual salers versus some overly taxed government crap show anyway. I would NEVER buy government-stamped weed. how gauche!

Old 07-28-2017, 02:41 PM

152 posts, read 54,262 times
Again.....common courtesy. If you would not do it in front of your children, parents or grandparents then do not do it in public. If people would think of themselves as part of a whole and not a lonely planet onto oneself when in public. If only we would all work better together and be a wee bit more considerate of others. Also there is a saying.....have you no shame? Lol I guess maybe its too much to ask for. Thats so sad because its simple to do.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:56 PM

23,248 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Her_CC_Q4 View Post
I hear what both of you gentlemen are saying. I am not sure that anyone needs/wants the government to intervene in matter of common decency. I think it's a bit simple, would you do these things in front of your children, parents, grandparents? In their face? if so then......I think there is a huge difference in what people deem acceptable public behavior. And let's just say no one will agree and everyone will just continue to to what works for them and be selfish.
People smoke both weed and cigarettes in front of kids all the time. Anyone who has parents or other relatives who smoke has seen them smoke. As for grandparents, they smoked at a higher rate, and dranked at a higher rate.

Again it's not the governments job to nanny.

I will give Giuliani that much credit, he didn't nanny in part because he smoked cigars. Empress Block merge decided not only cigarettes were bad, she wanted to put extra taxes on sodas, and anything else she deemed bad. People have the right to live their lives as they please and this includes smoking,!esting whatever, or drinking whatever sugar drinks. How they handle their health and the consequences of these activities is up to them. Thank god Bloomberg's special taxes were blocked, Just like thank god the Empress's congestion tax to drive into Manhattan below 59th Street was blocked.

Adults don't need someone telling them what is for their own good. The only smoking restrictions I agree to is places of business should have had smoking banned and this includes even bars and restaurants because no one should be stuck indoors with a bunch of smokers. Outside anyone in any city complaining about smoke is FOS, as there is massive automobile and truck exhaust. Someone smoking tobacco or weed outside is not a health hazard and any little snowflake that cries about that doesn't belong in a big city. Sorry the empress is not around for you to suckle her breasts.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 07-28-2017 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or