Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Do you think people who get in trouble/jail/ticket for pissing, smoking pot, loud music, etc. have any fault at all? Or are their actions 100% valid?
Meaning, if people want to do these things all day long, should they be allowed to?
I'm one of the biggest proponents of drug legalization on this forum, so you have your answer for smoking pot. If someone wants to smoke weed all day that is their choice.

For loud music, no. But the reality is the police never did much about loud music in big buildings. Loud music is not a NYPD priority. Often the city just contacts the landlord, and the landlord does what they can to deal with the tenant. Do I think they should be arrested for it? No. If they are truly too disruptive to the building perhaps they should be evicted..

Pissing out in the streets. No one should be arrested for it. Dogs **** and crap in the streets, and owners don't always clean up after the crap and never the urine. And as noted, NOTHING will stop homeless people from relieving themselves out in the street. Except treatment for mental illness and addressing why they are homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:39 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,734 times
Some people didn't read the article well: "Mayor de Blasio, the NYPD and four of the city’s five district attorneys have signed off on the plan, which would apply only to warrants older than 10 years..."

I know the statute of limitations don't usually apply to warrants but I think quashing these old warrants make sense. Going forward I would expect them to enforce these QOL issues but I don't think one strike for turnstile jumping should lead to a record that would preclude one from getting a job.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:59 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
No one should be caught pissing or smoking weed in the streets. Be a little incognito. Have some respect for your neighbors. Its gonna happen, but at least try to hide it from public view.

People do not do time for smoking weed, public urination, or turnstile jumping. So not sure why that would even be brought up in this thread.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:08 AM

152 posts, read 109,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
No one should be caught pissing or smoking weed in the streets. Be a little incognito. Have some respect for your neighbors. Its gonna happen, but at least try to hide it from public view.

People do not do time for smoking weed, public urination, or turnstile jumping. So not sure why that would even be brought up in this thread.
Exactly! Thank you...for some resason people seem to think the above stated offenses equal jail and a criminal record. These things were a ticket/fine at best.

SMH people take erroneous statements and run with them. Its the adult version of the telephone game. Then you have others who state that anyone darker than a paper bag is a targeted enemy of ALL law enforcement.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:16 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
DI Blasio is doing a great job. By the time he leaves office NYC will have reverted back to Mayor Dinkins era with a dash of Chicago style violence. Looking good!

Old 07-28-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:

It should be brought up because more and more jobs are using these things to disqualify ppl from employment. One of the questions that was on my current job app was: Have you ever been detained/arrested for any offense?

Note, I'm strongly for enforcing the law esp for repeat offenders. I just think canceling these warrants that are at least 10 years is a common sense move. The law is a living thing and discretion is paramount.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:16 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
It should be brought up because more and more jobs are using these things to disqualify ppl from employment. One of the questions that was on my current job app was: Have you ever been detained/arrested for any offense?

Note, I'm strongly for enforcing the law esp for repeat offenders. I just think canceling these warrants that are at least 10 years is a common sense move. The law is a living thing and discretion is paramount.
You've been arrested for pissing in public?

People can't find jobs because the economy passed them by with government failing to educate them, and frankly, lack of basic common sense and manners.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:26 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,911 times
Quote:

People can't find jobs because the economy passed them by with government failing to educate them, and frankly, lack of basic common sense and manners.
My understanding is that people were getting arrested and getting criminal records for public urination even for jumping the turnstile, including teens mind you, which is why all of these petty crimes are being decriminalized. So yes these should only be summonses with no criminal record offenses. Which is what they will continue to be and should have only been civil offenses.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:

I've never been arrested or detained for anything. However, if I were to refer you for a position at my job (we get a nice referral bonus) and you had one of those tickets/offenses, you would be excluded. I know it's worst for Fed positions. It's not always about education.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:06 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:

People smoke cigarettes in the streets. There is nothing wrong with smoking weed in the streets and in st least 8 states you have legal recreational marijuana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City