U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 06:58 AM

221 posts, read 382,843 times

Advertisements

I have moved from Chicago and am surprised by the huge number of run-down restaurants and food trucks. How do they compete with the modern / trendy fast-food kind of places? Why would anyone choose to eat there when there are so many "newer" options available. I can understand eating there if every food place is run down. But there are plenty of better choices amid this sea of run-down eats... I know some people are going to say because the food is good. I'd have to wonder what they are putting in the food if their appearance is so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 07:01 AM

998 posts, read 720,420 times
Good for for cheap prices.

Most people could care less how the places looks as long as the food is good, prices are cheap and they have no health violations.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:27 AM

376 posts, read 181,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Good for for cheap prices.

Most people could care less how the places looks as long as the food is good, prices are cheap and they have no health violations.
Sadly this!

There are many who prefer to pay less than pay a little more for better/quality food. Then again...anything you buy at ANY restaurant isn't really 'quality' food.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:01 AM

1,230 posts, read 2,431,615 times
A good example of this was 'La Taza De Oro' in Chelsea. It Did not look like much on the outside, but some of the best Puerto Rican food for the price in Manhattan.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:37 AM

878 posts, read 536,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
I have moved from Chicago and am surprised by the huge number of run-down restaurants and food trucks. How do they compete with the modern / trendy fast-food kind of places? Why would anyone choose to eat there when there are so many "newer" options available. I can understand eating there if every food place is run down. But there are plenty of better choices amid this sea of run-down eats... I know some people are going to say because the food is good. I'd have to wonder what they are putting in the food if their appearance is so bad.

Welcome to NYC! "Newer, modern and trendy" are nothing more than a cover up for "expensive" in most people's eyes, irregardless of what's better for you in the long run. Not many people are willing to put forth that extra $10 -$20+ per meal when they have the "Street Meat" options.

There's this Halal truck on Hudson Street in TriBeCa that is decent "quality" for a street truck, and always has a line of middle management office folk waiting to grab a bite. The line can be so long that it appears that some people waste half their break just standing in line.

There is a Just Salad one block away, and this truck is parked right in front of a Pret A Manger. Go figure. lolololol

So in some cases, it's not about not having money, it's just about what they are craving.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:40 AM

20,123 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Some of those places simply have better or more interesting food even if the decor isn't great.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:48 AM

1,689 posts, read 1,662,064 times
Whenever I see a store or a restaurant that seems rundown and doesn't seem to be doing much business, I always think it's a front.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:52 AM

14,940 posts, read 16,534,340 times
It depends on what you mean by run down.

I have eaten at some places that had cheap, timeworn chairs and tables, plastic coated tablecloths, paper place mats and served on plastic utensils in to-go containers. But the tables and floors were clean, lots of customers, and the food was incredible.

On the other hand if there is refuse, unbussed tables with someone's hour old food on it, built up dust/dirt in the corners, grease build up on the walls, and so on. I won't eat there.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:07 AM

20,144 posts, read 26,425,454 times
"Trendy fast food kind of places" often equates to wretched food.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:07 AM

1,935 posts, read 2,128,933 times
I'm a native Ny'er, but lived in Chicago for 3 years.

NYC food culture is exponentially superior to Chicago.

I'll take a dive in NY over any of the crap they have in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City