U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 12:48 PM

2,178 posts, read 1,720,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpan413 View Post
Just checked. I got 3 wrong. So basically a 95. People tell me that is an Ok score but since so many people took the test you would need closer to 100. Probably will get called near the end of the list.
You should be fine. The problem with these test is everyone thinks they're 'easy' (and they are) but it's even easier to make a simple mistake if you aren't paying attention. When I took my conductor exam last year I saw people getting up to leave as soon as they finished. I'm talking about 1 hour after the test began. I'm almost certain those people had atleast 3 questions wrong.

I took all the time I needed and went over my answers and found a bunch of careless mistakes I made from not paying attention. Ended up with 1 wrong/ 98.75 according to the preliminary key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 12:56 PM

27 posts, read 46,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
You should be fine. The problem with these test is everyone thinks they're 'easy' (and they are) but it's even easier to make a simple mistake if you aren't paying attention. When I took my conductor exam last year I saw people getting up to leave as soon as they finished. I'm talking about 1 hour after the test began. I'm almost certain those people had atleast 3 questions wrong.

I took all the time I needed and went over my answers and found a bunch of careless mistakes I made from not paying attention. Ended up with 1 wrong/ 98.75 according to the preliminary key.
Thanks. I double checked my answers and the funny thing is of the 4 I thought were going to be a problem I only got 1 of those wrong. The two others I must have totally missed.

One I wasn't sure of was when they asked, if someone is not paying attention and hanging over the platform as you approach the station do you?

Honk the horn or Stop the train?

I wasn't sure but I think I got that one wrong. I thought the right answer would be to honk the horn. But I wound up answering stop the train because honking the horn may have startled him.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:19 PM

6 posts, read 60,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpan413 View Post
Just checked. I got 3 wrong. So basically a 95. People tell me that is an Ok score but since so many people took the test you would need closer to 100. Probably will get called near the end of the list.
Thank you for sharing, excellent score you got, I hope your chances are high of being called.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,133 times
I thought that the exam was hard. I walked in there thinking that it was a common knowledge exam. I got 13 wrong.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:26 PM

4 posts, read 11,697 times
Default exam 7604

just wandering how many people took the exam 7604 knowing that there was 14 test dates with am and pm sessions?

Old 07-28-2017, 12:34 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,532,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgunner View Post
just wandering how many people took the exam 7604 knowing that there was 14 test dates with am and pm sessions?
I doubt anyone knows about there's 14 test dates. My friend told me if that information was provided, he would never have file for the exam. I think this is simply stupid.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:23 PM

yeah there was am and pm sessions on May 13, May 20, May 21, June 4, June 11, June 24 and June 25 so 14 sessions was given for this exam #7604

Old 07-29-2017, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitebeat View Post
Hi folks! I'm NEW to this forum and like others, just checked the "proposed" MTA answer key for exam 7604 against my handwritten answer sheet from test day (6/11 - AM Session). Well, I've got NINE (9) wrong and truthfully, I am shocked, as I felt the exam overall (except for the 'track' part at the beginning of the exam) was forthright and fairly easy. Sooooo, either there are going to be some double, triple or quadruple answers to some of the questions or, if the answer key stands as is, then I resign myself to having lost my mind as I have NEVER done so bad on ANY civil service exam I've ever taken. Nine wrong equates to a score of 85% which NORMALLY is a 'good' score on an exam, EXCEPT in the case of the over-popular Train Operator position. If you look, this exam was administered FOURTEEN (14) times over a course of many days, with thousands showing up at each exam date (AM & PM sessions). With that in mind, even if you scored 100% (and if you did, my hat is OFF to you), you can expect a SIGNIFICANT wait to be called and then at that time, face a stringent medical, physical, background check etc etc. So, the road to "Train Operator" is a long and winding one (pun intended) as lots of people want to drive a train and receive the benefits (including a very good paycheck). As for me, at this point, even if some or all of the answers are changed in my favor, given the sheer NUMBER of people who took this exam and the very limited number of Train Operator positions expected to be available in the foreseeable future, I have NO expectations of ever getting called for this job. I would suggest to others to broaden your horizons and take as many civil service exams as you can, that you are eligible for, especially those that have a high hiring rate i.e. FDNY, NYPD, etc. Good luck to those of you that may go forward in this endeavor, if you did well, you are VERY smart and deserve the position. Be well my friends . . . . . . . . . . .

Although you are being nice in your message you are wrong with your answer, there is a huge retirement of Train operators that is going on this year as well as the next few years, if you pass the test all you have to do is wait. Just letting you know they were just calling people that scored 70 on the last test from a few years ago.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Is amazing how they giving out 14 session of exam just for open competitive between 5/13/2017 - 6/25/2017, and chance of people getting call off the list is like impossible, unless your score is 100%.

Good luck everyone.

On top of that, with the train delay, I would hate to see any of you getting some nasty riders giving you attitude and people holding the door. In addition, with the pilot program of no chair and only standing room, oh boy....I don't know what that would be like as a challenge for those of you who is going to become a train operator.
Um no, the next few years there are an extremely large amount of train operators that are retiring, they have been calling people who scored with a 70 from the last test and that is still on going as of now

Old 08-06-2017, 12:46 PM

since there was 14 session of this test will there be 1 protest session or will there be multiple protest sessions? how long you think after the protest session are over will the transit come out with a list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City