U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:51 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,489,312 times

Advertisements

I was in Pre-K back in the early 80s. My grandparents put me in it, even though it wasn't free. It wasn't that expensive, but we WERE poor. The odd part is that my grandmother did not work at the time, she was home all day. Her reason for putting me in Pre-K was to keep me out of her hair all day long! I learned nothing. All I remember is drinking semi-sour milk, eating cookies, and taking naps on cots with creepy people all around and other smelly kids. I suspect many crappy parents are ECSTATIC that they now have their days free without their kids, for FREE starting at age 3 versus 5 now! I grew up in the projects for a number of years (from about 10-18) and I can't tell you how many moms were SO HAPPY once their kids started kindergarten so they could have their days free to themselves. it was disgusting. Granted it might help people who work, but I never saw that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 05:52 PM

FYI: my grandparents raised me and the real reason I was put in Pre-K was so she could spend her days at the local Bingo Parlor :/

Old 07-27-2017, 06:19 PM

852 posts, read 810,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
And if the program rolls out full fleged and includes ALL 3 years olds from every income level it's going to make rents even HIGHER. Now the wannabe upper middle class will NEVER leave here for the suburbs. Once again, single people without kids are SCREWED. Take care of your own babies or don't have them. 3 year olds aren't going to be learning sh---t in these facilities.
Do you expect 3 year olds to be learning algebra for it to qualify as education? They are going to playing with blocks, puzzles flash cards among other things. That is early development education. Especially if it includes practicing English with the children. Studies have shown that an early introduction to this type of learning can dramatically improve reading and writing skills in elementary schools. Your posts are always anti-kids/parents. Just because you chosen not to have kids, doesn’t mean everyone else should. As a society, we subsidize things that are benificial for the vast majority. That includes having kids. We don’t want to be a country with an old population, productivity would take a nose dive, and the economy would stagnate. Tell me, do you oppose all government subsidies, like Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, USPS, eco-subsidies, etc, etc, or only just the ones directed at “breeders?”

Old 07-27-2017, 06:22 PM

quote:
Do you expect 3 year olds to be learning algebra for it to qualify as education?

Actually, YES. I didn't bother reading the rest of your post. sorry

Old 07-28-2017, 12:25 PM

152 posts, read 54,346 times
I can really appreciate that Aquarius37 shared his own experience from childhood. One of the realist posts I have read! And I know a lot of adults and children that have had a similar experience. Really makes you wonder and also makes me think things will be quite similar!

I understand that not everyone has the luxury to stay home with their child AND TEACH THEM THEMSELF. Nor the funds to afford private care, or even family support to help you out. However, I don’t think it’s fair that taxpayers are subsidizing basically what is free day care. What are the benefits to those of us who don’t have children because we can’t afford them, or only have one child because we can only afford one? Where are the benefits for those of us who work hard and continue to pay for everything ourselves? Do we get tax breaks? Nope! Some of us realize that you cannot just do as you please and pass along the cost to others. It is just not fair. We have come to a point in this society where many have a sense of entitlement. Like it is someone else’s responsibility to care for them/ and their children, or to clean up their mess. So where is the incentive to be a responsible member of society?

I am going to blame the welfare rights movement on this one. There is a deep-rooted sense of entitlement that is pervasive and generational in this city and state. People may not like what I am stating but, there is statistical data to back this up. Certain individuals have been in the system from their day one and never get off the rolls, they then have children and sometimes multiple children that they have neither the finances nor the resources to take care of…. and the cycle continues. There are plenty of people who do not abuse the system but, the amount of people who do is staggering.

I do agree that early learning, social and emotional adjustment are very important. They developed Sesame Street for this purpose alone. I bet most don't know the history behind why it was created. Has anyone here read "the potential uses of television in preschool education" by the Carnegie Corporation in 1966? I have placed a link to the report, I think most will find it quite an interesting read:

http://www.joanganzcooneycenter.org/...966_report.pdf

I just don’t agree with the setting. I do not think handing off your child at 3 years old to the government school program is 100% beneficial. I do feel that children are best suited (and emotionally supported) when in the care of their own parent or family members.

The issues I have with this 3K program are numerous. In theory, some of this sounds good but applying it is a whole other animal. This city has a history of lip service and a failure to be able execute things properly and/or successfully. The following are some of my questions and concerns:

1. The substandard educational experience that most children in these “programs” receive. Many of the day care programs that are currently administered by city agencies (i.e ACS) lack resources and don’t always provide the best environment for children. There is a lot of overcrowding and that boils down to less one-on-one attention, which can be critical at this early developmental stage. It can also create dangerous situations because there are not enough people to pay attention to all the children.

2. Who is going to be watching and teaching your children? We already have way too many incidents of abuse in our current educational system – this pertains to both public and private institutions. Are they going to do through background checks on all that will be employed in this program? Because children are very vulnerable at this age and may not even be able to tell their parent if something bad has happened.

3. Why do we as taxpayers need to fund essentially what is day care for parents who are unable to manage on their own. It’s becoming a situation where the government is playing nanny to children instead of the parents taking care of their own. While I do not have an issue with a person who needs assistance because they fell on hard times or just needs a hand up to get to a better place. I do have a problem with the population that decides to have multiple children while in the same economic dire straits.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:11 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,115,884 times
Good better than staying home on an iPad all day.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:40 PM

quote:

LOL! It would actually be cheaper to just stick the 3-5 year olds in isolation chambers each with their own device really. I mean, that's the direction society is going anyway. Maybe keep a couple of guard dogs around to keep horrible people from entering the social experiment compound.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:05 PM

152 posts, read 54,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:

LOL! It would actually be cheaper to just stick the 3-5 year olds in isolation chambers each with their own device really. I mean, that's the direction society is going anyway. Maybe keep a couple of guard dogs around to keep horrible people from entering the social experiment compound.
You know what...you made me think about the tons of social experiments that have been done historically. I am sure some here know about Charolotte Thomson Iserbyt author of the book - The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America. She was the Senior Policy Advisor in the Office of Educational Research and Improvement (OERI),*U.S. Department of Education during the Regan era. My head was spinning and I did lots of cross referencing after reading her book. Wow holy crap.....is all I can say!

Anyone NOT familiar should really read her book. Here is a link to Wikipedia (not an official research source, I know...but a good place to start):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char...homson_Iserbyt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or