U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 11:24 AM

360 posts, read 219,460 times

Advertisements

Yes, quarters are fine.
If you take the metro and then the bus you can use the same ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 02:31 PM

7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calwine View Post
Yes, quarters are fine.
If you take the metro and then the bus you can use the same ticket.
That is NOT true. One *NEEDS* a MetroCard to have a free transfer from the bus to the subway or vice versa. With coins you are only entitled to a transfer to another bus.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:25 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Get a MetroCard!! Nobody wants to wait for you putting in one friggin' quarter at a time holding up the *ENTIRE* bus. Are you new to NYC or what? Amazes me that people still want to bring tons of change to pay for their fare.

If you must use quarters, for the love of God, have the exact change ready. Cannot stand people that get on with change then act as if they didn't know they were taking the bus, asking 1,000 questions.
I use change all the time, nobody cares. It takes like 1 second to deposit all your change if you have it counted out already.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:57 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,485,824 times
YES you can pay with quarters but expect mad shade from the driver and the non payers behind you.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:58 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,485,824 times
well that's been my experience anyway over the years if i didnt have a monthly which i do always have now.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:35 PM

2,285 posts, read 1,273,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
well that's been my experience anyway over the years if i didnt have a monthly which i do always have now.
Did you count the quarters as they went in? Or did you just dump them in?

Old 07-29-2017, 08:53 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
At two quarters per second it takes 5.5 seconds to pay the fare. Bus could be halfway down the block in 5.5 seconds.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I use change all the time, nobody cares. It takes like 1 second to deposit all your change if you have it counted out already.
Made it clear that a lot of people that pull this stuff *don't* have change ready in hand let alone quarters. Have seen this on the express bus too. Person gets on, drops a few coins in, likely nickels and dimes, then keeps adding the damn things ever so slowly as if they have no idea what the fare is. Then they proceed with the 1,000 questions about where the bus goes. Can look at the map right in front of you. $2.75 is bad enough. $6.50 in coins is really annoying.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:33 PM

18,242 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Made it clear that a lot of people that pull this stuff *don't* have change ready in hand let alone quarters. Have seen this on the express bus too. Person gets on, drops a few coins in, likely nickels and dimes, then keeps adding the damn things ever so slowly as if they have no idea what the fare is. Then they proceed with the 1,000 questions about where the bus goes. Can look at the map right in front of you. $2.75 is bad enough. $6.50 in coins is really annoying.

Waited for over ten minutes on Thursday evening for an M15 select bus going downtown. There was a elderly lady already sitting at bus stop when we arrived. She like most of us let a few local M15s go by and got on the SB when it arrived.

Woman gets on bus with her fist fill of change and moves towards fare box. Noticing it was covered asks "where do I pay?". Bus driver (a female) tells her "at the kiosk" and points in that direction. Old woman starts yammering and whatever so driver just waves her out of the way (she was holding up line), closes door and pulls away from stop. So the old lady got a free ride. Find it hard to believe the older woman didn't know how SBS works; I mean she knew enough to let the locals go and wait for "limited" service bus.

This in of itself didn't tick me off much as every other stop someone got on that bus waiving a Metro Card and or with hands full of change and the driver did same exact thing. You feel like an idiot for paying...

Old 07-29-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Waited for over ten minutes on Thursday evening for an M15 select bus going downtown. There was a elderly already sitting at bus stop when we arrived. She like most of us let a few local M15s go by and got on the SB when it arrived.

Woman gets on bus with her fist fill of change and moves towards fare box. Noticing it was covered asks "where do I pay?". Bus driver (a female) tells her "at the kiosk" and points in that direction. Old woman starts yammering and whatever so driver just waves her out of the way (she was holding up line), closes door and pulls away from stop. So the old lady got a free ride. Find it hard to believe the older woman didn't know how SBS works; I mean she knew enough to let the locals go and wait for "limited" service bus.

This in of itself didn't tick me off much as every other stop someone got on that bus waiving a Metro Card and or with hands full of change and the driver did same exact thing. You feel like an idiot for paying...
Have used the select bus service often over the years in Manhattan and have seen people pulled off or whatever. These same clueless people then remain clueless when they're getting a fine. They *NEVER* get it. Have to wonder if these people are that stupid with everything else. Never take the time to read up on anything. Today, was waiting for an express bus. Older Eastern European woman arrives at the bus stop at the same time as I. Begins studying the schedules, but this goes on for almost five to ten minutes. Am just pretending not to notice her doing this and do my own thing. After 10 minutes or so, lady asks if I was waiting for the bus. Confirmed her question. Then she proceeds to ask how you pay on the things. Confirmed with coins or a MetroCard. Then wants to know if one gets half-fare. Could not answer that since am not elderly. Just replied that for her, $3.25 was likely. Then same lady gets on the phone and starts talking about this all over again in her native language. Would've thought it was a new discovery. Lady then walked away, so clearly some people have a lot time on their hands to waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City