U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 02:48 AM

2,684 posts, read 962,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
These are newer ... I went to my friends apartment across the hall and his are different. Building manager said that he would buff the tiles when I moved out... I wonder if there was a way I can do that myself while I'm here, or what type of equipment he was using
Wax and a buffer. My mother used to have one: it had two rotating pads and you used wax.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 06:09 AM

2,591 posts, read 3,374,308 times
ZEP 1 Gal. Heavy-Duty Floor Stripper (Case of 4)-ZULFFS128 - The Home Depot

We had an old vinyl or linoleum floor in a kitchen that was impossible to clean, and I saw people recommend this product, although I think it gives off a lot of fumes. I ended up replacing the floor though so I can't say I used it. If it were my place, I'd buy a lot of area rugs and clean on the edges the best that I could.

My mother in law has this kind of floor but the worst thing is that she has these brown rubber baseboards that you'd expect to find in some public clinic rather than someones house. Whoever thought to install those was guilty of a quality of life violation.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:16 AM

20,134 posts, read 26,416,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Be careful. I thought exactly what you do and found out mine were CERAMIC. It was unrecognizable without that shine.
Worse, it is likely they are Vinyl-ASBESTOS. Deadly if taken up wrong. Government recommends covering these floors with new material rather than ripping them up. (Removing asbestos professionally costs a FORTUNE.)

A thin coat of good liquid wax (like Holloway House Quick Shine) might help a lot. Best results are obtained by first removing old wax with ammonia...a mess of a job. You can try a portion with JUST the liquid wax atop the old wax...it might be enough to please you.

Yeah, I am facing the same thing in a 1975 built Mitchell Lama. I should have laid wood floors before I moved furniture in. (Hindsight is 20/20.)

Building has a professional floor polisher somewhere which I am looking for. It seems to have disappeared when they carpeted the hallways (perhaps one o the workers stole it?). Someone told me that squirting a dilute ammonia on and buffing with a professional machine will restore the gleam. In college the pledges had to polish floors with a humongous polisher so I think I still remember how to use one without taking off a foot.

The asbestos thing scares the s**t out of me.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:31 AM

2,684 posts, read 962,344 times
I lived in SBT, which was also a M-L built around the same time as yours. I was so sure my tiles were lino, but we had a heck of a flood and when taking up carpet strips I discovered they were ceramic asbestos. The textured ceilings were also high in asbestos. As long as you didn't mess with it and it stayed solid, it wasn't a hazard and covering it was even better. I wouldn't mess with it with chemicals myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City