U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 12:58 PM

1,007 posts, read 581,169 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Some of you probably have those cheap rubbery looking floor tiles on your apartments too. You know the type. The type on every NYC project apartment floor, and many non-project buildings as well have these type of floors. When I moved to my apartment years ago, the floor tiles were glistening and nice. Since then they've gotten very scuffed and look like a public bathroom or subway station.

When I used to have wood parquet floors I didn't have such a problem. The flooring was resilient and did not scuff and most scuffs came up while mopping. This is not the case with these type of tiles. The mop is ineffective. Also I don't really know the name of these type of tiles. Are they linoleum or vinyl?

My question is if anyone else has any experience taking care of these floors? You know making them look nice and protecting or undoing scuffs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 03:21 PM

19,161 posts, read 32,707,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Hello everyone,

Some of you probably have those cheap rubbery looking floor tiles on your apartments too. You know the type. The type on every NYC project apartment floor, and many non-project buildings as well have these type of floors. When I moved to my apartment years ago, the floor tiles were glistening and nice. Since then they've gotten very scuffed and look like a public bathroom or subway station.

When I used to have wood parquet floors I didn't have such a problem. The flooring was resilient and did not scuff and most scuffs came up while mopping. This is not the case with these type of tiles. The mop is ineffective. Also I don't really know the name of these type of tiles. Are they linoleum or vinyl?

My question is if anyone else has any experience taking care of these floors? You know making them look nice and protecting or undoing scuffs
Lol its called taking up the old ones and putting new ones down......just replace them every couple of years.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-29-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lol its called taking up the old ones and putting new ones down......just replace them every couple of years.
I mean like how do you do that? I don't know how to do that it doesn't seem so easy...

Old 07-29-2017, 07:48 PM

2,690 posts, read 965,584 times
Be careful. I thought exactly what you do and found out mine were CERAMIC. It was unrecognizable without that shine.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:50 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,491,045 times
I know exactly the awful tiles you are speaking of!

When I lived in the projects we just put down carpeting (which i realize these days isn't wanted).

I still think carpet rocks. lol im old school like that and it will come back in fashion again home-wise.

Hardwood floors are starting to be kinda sorta corny

Old 07-29-2017, 07:51 PM

19,161 posts, read 32,707,062 times
I deleted my previous post. I misunderstood what tiles you were speaking of. Now I think I know what you're talking about. I put it like this - those tiles have been there since the building was built.....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-29-2017, 07:54 PM

are they vintage lineolium? that **** is gonna get HOT soon!

Old 07-29-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Be careful. I thought exactly what you do and found out mine were CERAMIC. It was unrecognizable without that shine.
No these are not ceramic. The tiles they use in tenements and projects (and in my apartment) are a rubbery materials. It's vinyl or linoleum. But yes when I moved in they were shined. Now after years they are all scuffed

Old 07-29-2017, 07:59 PM

can you take a pic of what you are talking about? i am am very curious

Old 07-29-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I deleted my previous post. I misunderstood what tiles you were speaking of. Now I think I know what you're talking about. I put it like this - those tiles have been there since the building was built.....
These are newer ... I went to my friends apartment across the hall and his are different. Building manager said that he would buff the tiles when I moved out... I wonder if there was a way I can do that myself while I'm here, or what type of equipment he was using
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City