Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 02:53 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times

Advertisements

While the Olympics brings its own share of good and bad, I remember being younger and seeing the NYC 2012 bid and thinking to myself, "New York can't possibly adapt fast enough to host the Olympics".

Los Angeles is now being given the honor of hosting the Summer Games for the 3rd time.

I often feel signs like this in which the rest of the world is progressing much faster than New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 03:36 PM

994 posts, read 1,056,821 times
I don't watch the Olympics, but I sure wouldn't mind some hip Olympic village apartments to snatch up after

Old 07-31-2017, 03:46 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
I don't watch the Olympics, but I will be trying to go to Tokyo for the 2020 Olympics. Less because of Olympics and more because I love Tokyo though. Couldn't it also be said that because they date back to the Greeks that NOT hosting the Olympics could be seen as a progressive thought? We also already have the UN, so in a way we have some representation of the entire world right on 42nd st.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:54 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannerundKatze View Post
I don't watch the Olympics, but I sure wouldn't mind some hip Olympic village apartments to snatch up after
I do. I think this has to do with it being part of the world due to being heavily mixed race from having heritage as far as Brazil, all the way to India. I watch the Olympics religiously as I do with the World Cup. The Olympics is an expensive endeavor.

EU countries can not support the Olympics after Athens which lays in ruins. Both Rome and Paris venues would have suffered similar fates and would have placed more debt on both cities. I don't see any EU countries hosting any Olympics anytime soon until the EU crisis improves. The only country capable of holding is probably Germany which is in financial shape to do so. The next three olmypics are all being held in Asia. 2018 winter Olympics is being held in South Korea, 2020 games are being held in Tokyo, and 2022 games are being held in Beijing China. This clearly shows that money and wealth is no longer in the West but in the East. Also the Fifa organization which is equally as corrupt as IOC are also having its venues in Russia 2018, and Doha Qatar for 2022. This indicates that the flow of wealth is the East and no longer the West and 500 years of Iberian, Anglo, and Anglo American domination is coming to an end.

NYC can not host the Olympics due to its transportation failures and poor logistics. The Olympic games in NYC will have traffic stand to a standstill if it was held here. It would also put a hole in the cities budget and will put debt on its residents and the state. The Olympics will put a financial burden on the city. Law enforcement agencies like the NYPD, PAPD, MTAPD, NY State Trooper, Bridge and Tunnel Officers, DEP, FBI will all have to work overtime for three weeks. MTA will have to suspend fast track due to the sheer amount of tourists traveling about in the city. PATH, LIRR, Metro North and NJT will have to put more trains for folks coming and out for the games. Sanitation will have to do more garbage clean up.

The big problem for NYC is where to host the game. No point in building a stadium in Manhattan. Manhattan is the center piece for anything American and for NYC, but their is no space for a stadium and no team to move into. Yankees, Mets, Giants and Jets are locked into their stadiums for decades to come. Nyc has 5 major sporting venues. Yankee Stadium and msg being the most famous, citi field and Barclay's less known, and Arthur ashe tennis center. My best bet for NYC is to have the Mets relocate to Yankee Stadium for two months so that Citi Field can be transformed into an Olympic Stadium. Another option is for the City and the State to convert the 1968 worlds fair park into an Olympic Park, their is also Arthur Ashe Stadium which can be used for Tennis and other venues. Flushing Park has a long lake which can be used for rowing. MSG and Barclays can be used for indoor events like basketball, gymnastics and indoor volleyball. Soccer or football can be played in Harrison NJ, or at MetLife Stadium in NJ. An Aquatic center can be built in Flushing Meadows Queens and upon the end of the Olympics, the facility will be handed over to NYC Parks department. Olmypic housing after when its done can be converted back into affordable housing.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-31-2017 at 04:32 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 04:30 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvAntelopeValley View Post
^ agreed. NYC is too dense to support to Olympics. If anything New Jersey would be smarter somewhere half way inbetween Manhattan and Philadelphia. After all, Elon Musk will make it easy for those from DC to get here in 29 minutes
To be honest, it would be interesting if thr whole northeast shares the entire games form DC to Boston.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:50 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
NYC and Chicago might have lost bids for the Olympics. But they hosted GREAT WORLD'S FAIRS. Timing and the politics of the IOC to bribes had frontrunners lose in the end. Chicago lost 2016 to Rio. It was called a frontrunner but IOC and the USOC were at odds. Sometimes the luck of bidding the right decade is why a city because of the Nation or Continent has a US city win or loose.

I doubt if any event would have been by Manhattan? But downtown Chicago's Harbor and Soldier Field .... would have been used and the International Village by Soldier field on the lakefront.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:07 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
"L.A.’s bid committee has estimated it would cost $5.3 billion to stage the Games and has predicted it can cover all expenses through revenues such as sponsorships and ticket sales."

Details emerge in deal to bring 2028 Summer Olympics to Los Angeles - LA Times

NYC does not have one let alone over five billion to spend on the Olympics. Albany is largely controlled by upstate and would rather die than give up anything to downstate in particular the city.

Two if you read the above link it becomes clear why LA won and that NYC cannot really ever host the Olympics.

Manhattan (the center of NYC) is a island, so obviously you aren't going to be building a new stadium here. Existing or new venues would have to be used in the other four boroughs, which means a logistical transportation nightmare.

NYC's transit infrastructure falling apart *now* just under the weight of normal activities. The subway system alone is stressed to the breaking point and would need to have work starting *NOW* to remotely be able to handle increased capacity the Olympic games would bring.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:09 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
While the Olympics brings its own share of good and bad, I remember being younger and seeing the NYC 2012 bid and thinking to myself, "New York can't possibly adapt fast enough to host the Olympics".

Los Angeles is now being given the honor of hosting the Summer Games for the 3rd time.

I often feel signs like this in which the rest of the world is progressing much faster than New York.

Los Angeles first hosted the Olympics back in the 1930's, nearly over eighty years ago. The second was in 1960's, again nearly over fifty years ago. Don't think having a third go in 2028 seems as if they have some sort of lock on things.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:18 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
why the f*** would you want the Olympics to be held here? Olympics are economy killers. Look at the ruins of previous games. $$ spent on stadiums only used for the Olympics and never again.

The best solution is to find permanent host countries for certain games. This way everyone is involved.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:13 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
True that Olympics can be extraordinarily expensive and expensive for a long term afterward, like Montreal's games, where paying off the debt through extra taxes took 20, 25 years or so IIRC. But we DO have a lot the existing infrastructure already built, either in the five boroughs or not too far away, including a tennis stadium and a velodrome in Queens, two big baseball stadiums, which could be reconfigured, plus the smaller ones in Staten Island and Brooklyn, Madison Square Garden, the Javits Center, Baker Field uptown, the Randalls Island fields, and on and on. And MetLife Stadium holds about 80,000, good for the big track and field events and opening/closing ceremonies. (Yeah, I know it'd probably be better if it held 100,000, but that's why they invented television.)

As I see it, the only thing really lacking is a big place for the swim events (if there is one I don't know of it) and a place to put the athletes, officials, press corps, visitors, etc. But whatever housing was built for them --and let's face it, we always need more housing in New York--could be used for New Yorkers afterward.

I think concern about transportation issues are overblown, and far from insurmountable. If they can ferry all those folks around a city as crowded as Tokyo or Rio or London, they can certainly do it in New York. The logistics of it all might mean dedicating certain train/subway tracks, street/highway lands, and /bridge/tunnel lanes to the games for all or part of three weeks, but that's about all. Everybody here would be well aware of when those weeks were far ahead of time. And let's face it, a lot of use wouldn't be here anyway. We'd rent out our apartments for a small fortune for a few weeks, take the money, and watch the games from poolside on the Cape!

Bloomberg screwed up our chance of getting the Olympics by trying to build that stadium on the West Side, which was pretty much a no go from the start. But 90% of the necessary infrastructure is already here now. There's no reason we shouldn't go for the games again.

Last edited by citylove101; 07-31-2017 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City