U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 07:00 AM

8 posts, read 1,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I don't know if you plan to have so many rooms in the new layout. However, having rooms are both sides is a waste of space because as Kefir King said, "too much hallway."

Try to pick one end of the space where it can be open. Also try to consodilate "rooms" on one side, not both sides so that the open space is larger. Rectangular is OK so long as it isn't long narrow but closer to square. It gives you more flexibility, IMHO.

This is a plan of my current basement layout. I have not yet to gut out and get the basement inspected. once that is done i will began new and different layouts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Are there windows in the living room and the first room and the second room? If not, they're not really rooms. I agree to hire an architect. Doing things the proper way will save you money in the long run.
They are three windows in the front. Two in the back(one far left and one far right). I am aware that all rooms must have a window. stay tuned for updated drafts.

Thanks

Old 08-17-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
You need the buildings dept so you can run all your plans by them and get proper permits.
where in Brooklyn is the building department? I spoke with 311 but i was told i need to attend a weekly meeting.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
And he's going to need the architect to get the building permit. Unless of course you're really reckless and try to do this without a permit
I will get a permit. I want to rent out or Airbnb. so everything has be legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Too much wasted space called "Hallway."
I am trying to figure out a design. Message me with more info. Again, this is how the current basement looks. once i gut out i will show how the empty basement looks.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I don't know if you plan to have so many rooms in the new layout. However, having rooms are both sides is a waste of space because as Kefir King said, "too much hallway."

I agree. what are some solutions? This is my old basement layout. once i gut out i will update plan of empty basement.

Try to pick one end of the space where it can be open. Also try to consodilate "rooms" on one side, not both sides so that the open space is larger. Rectangular is OK so long as it isn't long narrow but closer to square. It gives you more flexibility, IMHO.
thanks for your support boss, will update once i gut out.

Thanks.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:32 AM

Thanks for all the support and information. The pictured plan is of my current basement. I have not gut out and started demolition yet. Will begin this weekend. Also, i have three columns in the middle of the floor so some relocation will be hard.

look out for updates of my post. A electrician and plumber will be working with me on the job. I am aware i would need a architect but i want to have an idea how i want it done. besides they charge by the hour. wouldn't it be smarter and cheaper to have a layout ready? so they do less work?

I am trying to cut out the lean fat. The electrical in the the basement is good, needs just modification. The real problem is plumbing and water. That why the basement is being broken down.

Thanks any information would be key

Old 08-17-2017, 11:23 AM

410 posts, read 191,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisBrown View Post
Thank you so much. This was a rough draft of how the basement looks now. i will have more space once i gut out the basement. the stairs will be gone. Also the electric penal are next to the windows, so i don't think moving the boiler room is ideal. As stated before this was a rough daft and i was new to the program. i will do a more accurate drawing in the coming days.

But thank you for you design. you seem really informed. Once i update the design i will contact you.

Thanks.
I have a day job but interior design is my passion. Send me a pm when u are ready to start and i will point you in the direction of where to find good quality inexpensive material. I shop where the investors and contractors shop. Cut out the middle man.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I have a day job but interior design is my passion. Send me a pm when u are ready to start and i will point you in the direction of where to find good quality inexpensive material. I shop where the investors and contractors shop. Cut out the middle man.
Appreciate it.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
thank you. I finished gutting out the basement. now i just have plumbers, electricians, contractors and a company that specializes in water proofing checkout the basement. The new floor plan isn't done yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City