Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 05:23 PM

8 posts, read 3,501 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

Just surfing the web and found this forum.

I will be gutting out my basement and fixing it up from scratch. All work will be done by myself and relatives. Demolition will begin in two week by myself and friends. Basement will be used as a living space/Rental/Airbnb. I Believe my SF is about 900. I am planning to put two bedrooms, 3/4 bathroom(shower,sink and toilet.), kitchen/laundry room , storage and living room.

I am a total noob and have been using Edde Case Basement University(https://eddie-case.mykajabi.com/store/ZNDvAVqL). so far he has been helpful.

Here are some problems I am having so far.

I am having a problem creating a floor plan. I have Been using this website for help House Plans Helper: Home Design Help for Everyone!.

Eddie Case training are based in PA and I am located in NYC somethings are not doable here in NYC.

I am looking for design help(interior, floor plan). Open Modern Minimalist basement design.

NYC basement regulations and any information or directions to additional websites for more information.

Also, i am using chief Architect to design. my SF isn't accurate because the old living space in the basement is still there. Haven't broken down the basement yet.

I am willing to document the whole project.
This is a rough draft of my current basement before demolition.

Measurements are little off but that is pretty much the layout.

Any information would be great. If i can i want to do all the work by myself. I am really looking forward to this project.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 06:42 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
you should really hire an architect. You will need to line up your plumbing supply and drain lines, be mindful of load bearing walls, and properly route all your electrical and gas lines.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:54 PM

6,148 posts, read 4,514,052 times
You need the buildings dept so you can run all your plans by them and get proper permits.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:20 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
Are there windows in the living room and the first room and the second room? If not, they're not really rooms. I agree to hire an architect. Doing things the proper way will save you money in the long run.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:11 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I agree to hire an architect. Doing things the proper way will save you money in the long run.
And he's going to need the architect to get the building permit. Unless of course you're really reckless and try to do this without a permit

Old 08-03-2017, 01:31 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisBrown View Post
Hi everyone.

Just surfing the web and found this forum.

I will be gutting out my basement and fixing it up from scratch. All work will be done by myself and relatives. Demolition will begin in two week by myself and friends. Basement will be used as a living space/Rental/Airbnb. I Believe my SF is about 900. I am planning to put two bedrooms, 3/4 bathroom(shower,sink and toilet.), kitchen/laundry room , storage and living room.

I am a total noob and have been using Edde Case Basement University(https://eddie-case.mykajabi.com/store/ZNDvAVqL). so far he has been helpful.

Here are some problems I am having so far.

I am having a problem creating a floor plan. I have Been using this website for help House Plans Helper: Home Design Help for Everyone!.

Eddie Case training are based in PA and I am located in NYC somethings are not doable here in NYC.

I am looking for design help(interior, floor plan). Open Modern Minimalist basement design.

NYC basement regulations and any information or directions to additional websites for more information.

Also, i am using chief Architect to design. my SF isn't accurate because the old living space in the basement is still there. Haven't broken down the basement yet.

I am willing to document the whole project.
This is a rough draft of my current basement before demolition.

Measurements are little off but that is pretty much the layout.

Any information would be great. If i can i want to do all the work by myself. I am really looking forward to this project.

Thanks in advance.
Move

I would move all utility rooms together. Move the boiler and hot water tank down to where the electric panel is. Eliminate the living room and place all 3 bedrooms in a row to the right.

Place sliding doors and relocate the closet to the left of the hallway if u have space.

Make an L shaped kitchen on the back wall (to the bottom right of the photo. Place the living room where the 3rd bedroom is.

Now u have the living room opened to the kitchen with direct access to the backyard. People won't have to pass the bedrooms to get to the living room. It will have a more open feel

If possible, use a door to the backyard with glass insert. Natural light makes every room feel more spacious. In the spring plant flowers and get a patio breakfast set. Your guest can eat outside and feel like they are at an outdoor bistro.

Plant tomatoes, thymes and peppers so your guest can enjoy. It's the details that will make you the star of air bnb

Old 08-03-2017, 06:05 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Too much wasted space called "Hallway."

Old 08-08-2017, 12:15 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times
I don't know if you plan to have so many rooms in the new layout. However, having rooms are both sides is a waste of space because as Kefir King said, "too much hallway."

Try to pick one end of the space where it can be open. Also try to consodilate "rooms" on one side, not both sides so that the open space is larger. Rectangular is OK so long as it isn't long narrow but closer to square. It gives you more flexibility, IMHO.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Move

I would move all utility rooms together. Move the boiler and hot water tank down to where the electric panel is. Eliminate the living room and place all 3 bedrooms in a row to the right.

Place sliding doors and relocate the closet to the left of the hallway if u have space.

Make an L shaped kitchen on the back wall (to the bottom right of the photo. Place the living room where the 3rd bedroom is.

Now u have the living room opened to the kitchen with direct access to the backyard. People won't have to pass the bedrooms to get to the living room. It will have a more open feel

If possible, use a door to the backyard with glass insert. Natural light makes every room feel more spacious. In the spring plant flowers and get a patio breakfast set. Your guest can eat outside and feel like they are at an outdoor bistro.

Plant tomatoes, thymes and peppers so your guest can enjoy. It's the details that will make you the star of air bnb
Thank you so much. This was a rough draft of how the basement looks now. i will have more space once i gut out the basement. the stairs will be gone. Also the electric penal are next to the windows, so i don't think moving the boiler room is ideal. As stated before this was a rough daft and i was new to the program. i will do a more accurate drawing in the coming days.

But thank you for you design. you seem really informed. Once i update the design i will contact you.

Thanks.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
you should really hire an architect. You will need to line up your plumbing supply and drain lines, be mindful of load bearing walls, and properly route all your electrical and gas lines.

A certified plumber and electrician will be present. if i can't do a design i will hire an architect. This will just be a learning experience.

Thanks

Last edited by DennisBrown; 08-17-2017 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City