Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 09:16 AM

283 posts, read 233,578 times

Advertisements

Do you guys agree? If you disagree I'm curious what type of building you live in. In many apartments in NYC I notice you can hear every footstep of your neighbor upstairs

I'm moving soon and trying to determine this.. How do you tell how soundproof a building is between the floor and ceiling? I guess if there is concrete between the floors it's going to be more soundproof than wood -- but is there a hard and fast rule to know if your building has concrete vs. wood between floors?

In your experience, if you've lived in multiple buildings throughout NYC, what types of buildings do have you found to be the most soundproof?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 10:27 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Concrete is definitely better but you can still hear stuff. Avoid wood frame at all costs.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:49 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
Yes, concrete is the best for soundproofing and also for fireproofing. My building is all concrete construction. I don't hear anything. No idea if anyone even lives in the next apt. or above & below me. I'm on the 9th floor next to the fire stairs so only 1 side neighbor. Its difficult to hang anything on the walls but so quiet.

Last edited by 5-all; 08-05-2017 at 10:59 AM..

Old 08-05-2017, 10:57 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Pre-war buildings tend to be built to stand the test of time. I was lucky enough to live in one once and your upstairs neighbor can hold brass band practice every night of the week and you won't even know they're home.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Pre-war buildings tend to be built to stand the test of time. I was lucky enough to live in one once and your upstairs neighbor can hold brass band practice every night of the week and you won't even know they're home.
What type of pre-war building was this? e.g. luxury high rise or 6-8 story low rise, walk up, brownstone, etc?

I've heard even pre-wars can vary quite a lot

Old 08-05-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Yes, concrete is the best for soundproofing and also for fireproofing. My building is all concrete construction. I don't hear anything. No idea if anyone even lives in the next apt. or above & below me. I'm on the 9th floor next to the fire stairs so only 1 side neighbor. Its difficult to hang anything on the walls but so quiet.
Ah you are living the life. I'm curious what type of building you live in? How do I know if a building is all concrete?

Old 08-05-2017, 02:29 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
I have been lucky as in like all of the apartments I have ever lived in NYC (5 of them) I've never heard my neighbors through the walls or ceilings. Some have heard me though lol. I think it's just a problem with new construction or if you live in a ****ty unit next to a loud family. I think most new construction is geared towards people with headphones on non stop so noise from neighbors is moot?

Old 08-05-2017, 03:15 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
How soundproof pre-war buildings are depends what renovations were done. If the plaster needs repair, some cheapo contractors will put new drywall right over the old plaster/lathe on the ceiling, and they may also layer the flooring instead of removing or repairing what was there. It lowers the ceiling height for one thing, but it will be quiet.

Other times, when renovating an old building, the contractor will take out the old plaster/lathe if it's shot, and install thin drywall without insulating between the joists, and leaving gaps where the heat pipe runs between floors -- you'll hear everything then! Floors can also be really squeaky in old buildings though I think that too can be addressed if the owner wants to put in the time and money.

So anyway, just because it's pre-war doesn't mean that it's soundproof. You can't really know by looking at it either in my opinion.

I have a friend who lives in a high-rise built during the 60s with popcorn ceilings and you hear nothing between floors! Not saying it's aesthetically-pleasing, but if peace and quiet is what's important for you than popcorn ceilings aren't so bad.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:49 PM

You never know until you live in a place how noisy it will be. I once lived on the 1st floor of an old brownstone. It was quiet most of the time but in the middle of the night the old man upstairs would get up & put on what sounded like iron boots and stomp around above my bed. I never got uninterrupted sleep living there.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
Ah you are living the life. I'm curious what type of building you live in? How do I know if a building is all concrete?
I had to wait months for an apt to become available in this building. I had a friend who lived here already who kept checking for open units for me. Someone got transferred to California and I got his apt. When I signed the lease the lady said it was all concrete. I had no idea before I moved in that it was all concrete but I had noticed that it was quiet from visiting my friend there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: