Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:34 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Thats considered diversity in the UWS? lol.
Don't forget all the asian girls married to white guys in the UWS, even more "diversity".

I think it is time for you to move to the suburbs.
Dunno, maybe something was missed on my end, but don't find the UWS all *that* diverse. If anything, it's heavily white with it only being diverse because of the people that come there to hang out or work or whatever. Have friends that live on the UWS, and the building is basically just about all white. One couple is obviously from Latin America or Spain, but if they didn't open their mouths, they could pass for white. There's also an Indian looking guy but aside from that everyone else is white. Also a sense of snobbery there that I don't like compared to the UES, which is likely whiter. Some will look as if to say what are you doing here? This from a so-called *liberal neighborhood*. UWS has become more and more expensive and there's this sense of people liking to make that point indirectly about who should and shouldn't be in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 09:39 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Dunno, maybe something was missed on my end, but don't find the UWS all *that* diverse. If anything, it's heavily white with it only being diverse because of the people that come there to hang out or work or whatever. Have friends that live on the UWS, and the building is basically just about all white. One couple is obviously from Latin America or Spain, but if they didn't open their mouths, they could pass for white. There's also an Indian looking guy but aside from that everyone else is white. Also a sense of snobbery there that I don't like compared to the UES, which is likely whiter. Some will look as if to say what are you doing here? This from a so-called *liberal neighborhood*.
That was the point I was trying to make. The UWS is predominantly rich white folks, but when there is a token black or asian wife here and there, they are so proud of how "diverse" the UWS is.

I myself moved from Dumbo to the Nassau county 2 years ago.
Diversity is overrated, and I'm a minority myself.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:40 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
That was the point I was trying to make. The UWS is predominantly rich white folks, but when there is a token black or asian wife here and there, they are so proud of how "diverse" the UWS is.

It sounds like you're referring to the OP, lol.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Am in agreement. What annoys me about the place is the level of snottiness. Difference may be that UWS is more new money and more transplants who feel as if they need to make a point to show that they have money and how it can exclude them from certain things, whereas, walking on the UES, always feel at ease. People there have money and don't need to make a big deal over it. Friends live a few blocks from Central Park West. Whenever leaving the building, would always have eyes on me, as if one was wondering "Oh he lives in that building". Am not an old man so perhaps the thinking was he's a young guy and lives in such a nice building. When on UES, never feel as if I need to prove anything. I go to whatever store I want buy whatever and there's rarely any sort of side eye. Also find myself striking up conversations with strangers far more often on the UES. UWS is much more stand-offish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It sounds like you're referring to the OP, lol.
And rightfully so...

Old 08-09-2017, 09:51 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
In all honesty it depends on the school your kids go to on the UWS. I taught at a religious school on the UWS, and we had a decent number of Latino, Asian, and Black students. It was still predominately white.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In all honesty it depends on the school your kids go to on the UWS. I taught at a religious school on the UWS, and we had a decent number of Latino, Asian, and Black students. It was still predominately white.
Shouldn't be any surprise. Walking on Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues, can see plenty of Black, Latino and Asian students going to the local pizza store for slices after school or whatever. From that perspective it seems like a diverse neighborhood, but am here to tell you, most of the folks are *passing through* and don't live in the area. Am thinking the OP doesn't know what true diversity is because minorities passing through isn't diversity IMO.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:59 AM

8 posts, read 7,626 times
It appears that I stepped into some weird class war. I'm not a native New Yorker so I am unaware of most neighborhood stereotypes. We moved to the UWS out of convenience and the good public schools. My wife was a student at Fordham Law when we made the move. Our slice of the UWS in the 80s is very diverse. Mostly white? Yes but not overwhelming white. Anyway, I hope to get this discussion back on track. I really wanted to get a poll of why people decide to stay in the city. I had no idea that my observations about my neighborhood would derail the discussion.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llliilliilll View Post
It appears that I stepped into some weird class war. I'm not a native New Yorker so I am unaware of most neighborhood stereotypes. We move to the neighborhood out of convenience and the good public schools. My wife was a student at Fordham Law when we made the move. Our slice of the UWS in the 80s is very diverse. Mostly white? Yes but not overwhelming white. Anyway, I hope to get this discussion back on track. I really wanted to get a poll of why people decide to stay in the city. I had no idea that my observations about my neighborhood would derail the discussion.
It's only *weird* because you're not from here. Overall can tell you, the UWS is *not* diverse, not unless you consider diverse to be a few *token* minorities. *LOL* Back to your question... If the suburbs aren't calling people, then they stay here. Westchester (most of it) is not that cheap (in comparison to Manhattan), especially when you factor in the high taxes, and the only reason people tend to leave is because they want more space, feel as if the schools are better there, and want to live in a more *family-oriented* place. The UWS and UES are about as family-oriented as they get while being in NYC. If you don't feel as if you can raise your family in those two neighborhoods, then yes, you need to move to Westchester. The UES is especially family-oriented, which is why singles generally don't care for the place because it's considered to be too boring and stuffy, with not enough night life. The UWS is more mixed in that regard. Plenty of young singles, with the rommate situation or just single in general with your families thrown in.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:05 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llliilliilll View Post
It appears that I stepped into some weird class war. I'm not a native New Yorker so I am unaware of most neighborhood stereotypes. We moved to the UWS out of convenience and the good public schools. My wife was a student at Fordham Law when we made the move. Our slice of the UWS in the 80s is very diverse. Mostly white? Yes but not overwhelming white. Anyway, I hope to get this discussion back on track. I really wanted to get a poll of why people decide to stay in the city. I had no idea that my observations about my neighborhood would derail the discussion.
Sorry OP for derailing your discussion.
I myself fled to the suburbs because with 2 kids it made more economical sense.
I already had my fun in the city as a single dude, and as a young married couple without kids.
Once you have kids, suburbs make sense unless you are very rich, so I fled to Nassau county.

For me, public schools in Dumbo are crap, and private school in Brooklyn is no different than college tuition (x2 kids).

No more nyc income tax.

Nassau county has ridiculous property taxes, but at least you get good public school and its deductible on federal taxs.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:09 AM

782 posts, read 858,994 times
...and like clockwork, this thread becomes about race like everything else this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City