Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 05:06 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times

Advertisements

Wrong thread post. Don't know how that happened..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 05:11 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yes. My apartment was quite run-down, and unrenovated. But cheap.

And no, no one had preferential rent.
It was officially a "coop building", so not rent-stabilized or rent-regulated.
You can have rent-controlled units in coop buildings. That happens in buildings that converted from rentals, to coops. People in those units cannot be kicked out, and if they don't want to be bought out, they stay there as long as they want at the largesse of the coop because often, their rent rolls don't even pay for the joint overhead. This happened in my father's building when it converted to coop in the late 80s. Someone was on the rolls for $300 a month in units that were 1200 square feet, and at the time selling for $140k; right before the bubble burst in the late 80s. The person who eventually passed away passed the lease on to his son who had to be convinced with hard cash to give up the lease. (Don't worry, his son wasn't some poor oppressed person; he was a lawyer with plenty of cash. he didn't need it.) Many coops with unsold shares, what is called "sponsor" units have lessees in it. Some are under rent control.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:08 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Yes, they will. I have been invited before. No reason not to be invited again.

It's not about people trying to convert me. It's about religiosity being overtly heavy handed in public life. It's not like I have no experience being around very religious folks. I have a lot of it. I want my life (at least some of it) to be home based where I can be part of the community, not an outsider who doesn't blend in with the social mores of the area.

With a base budget of $500K for an apartment. (that translates to about a $170,000 income.) But of course you knew that right? For that kind of money, I'd live in Forest Hills or Rego Park, near my family. I wouldn't go to Brooklyn.
You don't need 500K for an apartment in Midwood.
But I hear you about wanting to be near family.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:13 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Quote:
You can have rent-controlled units in coop buildings. That happens in buildings that converted from rentals, to coops. People in those units cannot be kicked out, and if they don't want to be bought out, they stay there as long as they want at the largesse of the coop because often, their rent rolls don't even pay for the joint overhead. This happened in my father's building when it converted to coop in the late 80s. Someone was on the rolls for $300 a month in units that were 1200 square feet, and at the time selling for $140k; right before the bubble burst in the late 80s. The person who eventually passed away passed the lease on to his son who had to be convinced with hard cash to give up the lease. (Don't worry, his son wasn't some poor oppressed person; he was a lawyer with plenty of cash. he didn't need it.) Many coops with unsold shares, what is called "sponsor" units have lessees in it. Some are under rent control.
That's true of course.

I am talking about newly rented units in the coop building.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
You don't need 500K for an apartment in Midwood.
But I hear you about wanting to be near family.
Yes, you do need about that much for a 2 bedroom. https://www.trulia.com/for_sale/5174_nh/2p_beds/ I don't want my kid or myself sleeping in the living room.

PS: the crime rate is worse in Midwood according to https://www.point2homes.com/US/Neigh...ics.html#Crime

Old 08-14-2017, 08:13 AM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
What communities have I "bashed"?
The closest and longest running one was probably your thread about the Irish community in Woodlawn. I don't really think you were bashing so much as interpreting the presence of bars in a very rigid way and then extrapolating that out a lot further than most people would. The really odd part about that wasn't just that first set of assumptions, because certainly other people can do that and it was certainly fair and reasonable for you to ask about it--however, you went on for a lot of posts with that same set of assumptions even as several people who are more familiar with the community explained otherwise and some tried to explain in detail. I reckon that's the one he's recalling most.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The closest and longest running one was probably your thread about the Irish community in Woodlawn. I don't really think you were bashing so much as interpreting the presence of bars in a very rigid way and then extrapolating that out a lot further than most people would. The really odd part about that wasn't just that first set of assumptions, because certainly other people can do that and it was certainly fair and reasonable for you to ask about it--however, you went on for a lot of posts with that same set of assumptions even as several people who are more familiar with the community explained otherwise and some tried to explain in detail. I reckon that's the one he's recalling most.
It boils down to this kind of ideology:

Social justice is installing a ramp so those in wheelchairs are granted access.
Social Justice Warriors want to remove the stairs because they are unfair and shout at anyone able to walk.
The Social Justice Warrior | Opinion | The Harvard Crimson

Old 08-14-2017, 01:58 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times
Why is kosher food so expensive?

Old 08-14-2017, 02:04 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Kosher food most follow strict guidelines of Jewish law. Am here to tell you... Eat at an organic kosher place and they are very strict. No outside food whatsoever. Most dishes consist of veggies or fish. Also don't eat certain types of meat that are thought to be *dirty*. Then there are some desserts or dishes that are time consuming to make like rugelach (type of cookie). Very good, but *very* expensive. Am also a big fan of challah. In short, it's quality food, so you get what you pay for.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:31 PM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
It boils down to this kind of ideology:

Social justice is installing a ramp so those in wheelchairs are granted access.
Social Justice Warriors want to remove the stairs because they are unfair and shout at anyone able to walk.
The Social Justice Warrior | Opinion | The Harvard Crimson
Sure, there are a lot of people who conflate the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Lots of additional restrictions and regulations some of which don't do much for flavor, nutrition or animal welfare, but add to the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City