Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 03:55 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,518,752 times

Advertisements

What are two-fare zones? I thought that was eliminated years ago when the MTA started allowing free transfers on metrocards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 03:59 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,742,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post

My point was that prices are crazy. Maybe not in the outskirts but they are not declining in Manhattan all that much. And rents go up, transportation goes up, and salaries don't.
I concur!!! And I believe both Brooklyn and Queens are overvalued. I see prices for this condo complex that I know pretty well that is on Union Turnpike double fare area. I would NEVER pay that to live there. There is nothing there! Too far from the subway, no place to eat, no place to shop, no parks for kids. I can't believe they are charging that much money for that area. I had a bf there and it sucked, sucked, sucked. I hated the area.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:01 PM

12,746 posts, read 8,202,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I concur!!! And I believe both Brooklyn and Queens are overvalued. I see prices for this condo complex that I know pretty well that is on Union Turnpike double fare area. I would NEVER pay that to live there. There is nothing there! Too far from the subway, no place to eat, no place to shop, no parks for kids. I can't believe they are charging that much money for that area. I had a bf there and it sucked, sucked, sucked. I hated the area.
Those areas tend to be upper middle class and the residents either drive, take the LIRR or the express bus and are not interested in the subway to begin with. Have to realize that not everyone is subway centric, and those are neighborhoods that are suburban. Often times, the subway is filled with homeless, rats and is dirty. Not sure what you think is so great about the subway other than the cheap fare.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:30 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,742,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Those areas tend to be upper middle class and the residents either drive, take the LIRR or the express bus and are not interested in the subway to begin with. Have to realize that not everyone is subway centric, and those are neighborhoods that are suburban. Often times, the subway is filled with homeless, rats and is dirty. Not sure what you think is so great about the subway other than the cheap fare.
Upper class ???.. I am beginning to hate that terms because those folks with a higher middle class economic income (in that area) are as plebeian as you come. Not educated in anything outside of their profession, don't read books evidently, and don't partake in any culiture. Don't mingle with anyone not exactly like them. There is nothing classy about them.They are as far as you can come from the word classy. Classy is what you do, not how much you make. And they aren't rich either. They make what I make, only they have two incomes and I have one.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:55 PM

444 posts, read 384,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am not sure why you would post such an article then. Price isn't the issue. Your bankruptcy and his lack of credit is. Am here to tell you these days the differences in price between the Bronx and Queens is minimal when comparing the better areas.

Can use Forest Hills and Riverdale as an example. In Riverdale, 2 bedrooms are going for $2200 - 3200 at the high end. This is about the price range of most places in Forest Hills, with a few exceptions.
I posted to share. I think the article is still wrong. $2200 for a 2 bedroom can mean different things in Washington Heights, South Bronx and Forest Hills obviously.

Neither of us wanted to pay 2017 Manhattan prices for a 1990 South Bronx renovated apartment.
Lots of rents are based purely on that zip code.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:58 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,193,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
What are two-fare zones? I thought that was eliminated years ago when the MTA started allowing free transfers on metrocards.
Technically speaking what it really means at this point is 2 -zone travel I guess. Like living in an area in Queens where you would need to take a bus to the subway to get into Manhattan. Like lets say you live near Queens College. To get into the city via public transit you need to take a bus to the train. Or take an Express bus I guess.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:05 PM

12,746 posts, read 8,202,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Upper class ???.. I am beginning to hate that terms because those folks with a higher middle class economic income (in that area) are as plebeian as you come. Not educated in anything outside of their profession, don't read books evidently, and don't partake in any culiture. Don't mingle with anyone not exactly like them. There is nothing classy about them.They are as far as you can come from the word classy. Classy is what you do, not how much you make. And they aren't rich either. They make what I make, only they have two incomes and I have one.
Some of those areas have household incomes above $150,000, closer to $180,000 with homes in the millions. They are definitely upper middle to upper class.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,053,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
I posted this on my Facebook page yesterday and said to BF that I guess we are staying in the Bronx as it was kind my plan to leave once our lease was up in May.
I wish these articles would stop coming out because I don't think they are all that true. I think prices are all over the place.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...2d19-139914237
These articles are usually slanted because the realtors are trying to increase a demand for something. In this case I suspect it's all the new units coming onto the market in LIC that are bringing what they call median rents for the borough up. In fact, there is no way they are including all new leases in Queens into their numbers, so of course you have to take the numbers with a grain of salt.

That said, yes, rents in Queens have been inching up quite a bit in the past 2-3 years. But as some have noted, they are going up everywhere.

I have a friend who just moved into a $1450 studio in Jackson Heights, one block from the 74th St. station. She said it was the cheapest place she could find to live alone. But I think her search was limited to areas where she can commute easily to World Trade area, which probably precludes most of the Bronx and further flung areas of Queens and Brooklyn.

I think anywhere in Queens where the subway transportation is good or decent, which includes anywhere along the Queens Blvd line and some parts of the 7 line, are going to be at least $1600 for a one bedroom and at least $2000 for a 2 bedroom. In Jackson Heights (the area I'm most familiar with), I am seeing most one bedrooms at $1850 to $2000 and 2 bedrooms from $2200 to $2600. There is an occasional larger apartment for $3000 but $3000 seems to be the ceiling at the moment.

In many areas that are desirable due to good transportation options, you will definitely see realtors and landlords that have stringent requirements. So, yeah, a bankruptcy and/or bad credit is going to put you out of the game for a lot of what's on the market.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:27 AM

782 posts, read 523,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
These articles are usually slanted because the realtors are trying to increase a demand for something. In this case I suspect it's all the new units coming onto the market in LIC that are bringing what they call median rents for the borough up. In fact, there is no way they are including all new leases in Queens into their numbers, so of course you have to take the numbers with a grain of salt.

That said, yes, rents in Queens have been inching up quite a bit in the past 2-3 years. But as some have noted, they are going up everywhere.

I have a friend who just moved into a $1450 studio in Jackson Heights, one block from the 74th St. station. She said it was the cheapest place she could find to live alone. But I think her search was limited to areas where she can commute easily to World Trade area, which probably precludes most of the Bronx and further flung areas of Queens and Brooklyn.

I think anywhere in Queens where the subway transportation is good or decent, which includes anywhere along the Queens Blvd line and some parts of the 7 line, are going to be at least $1600 for a one bedroom and at least $2000 for a 2 bedroom. In Jackson Heights (the area I'm most familiar with), I am seeing most one bedrooms at $1850 to $2000 and 2 bedrooms from $2200 to $2600. There is an occasional larger apartment for $3000 but $3000 seems to be the ceiling at the moment.

In many areas that are desirable due to good transportation options, you will definitely see realtors and landlords that have stringent requirements. So, yeah, a bankruptcy and/or bad credit is going to put you out of the game for a lot of what's on the market.
This report is definitely not all new lease signings, it's just a survey. For July 2017, the Northwest Queens numbers are based on 316 new leases.

I think these reports are more useful when looking at overall trends since they're likely using a consistent data set (for example, surveying the same broker companies each time). But they're not really useful for individual apartment seekers who are probably only focusing on certain segments of the market.

Also, as I've said a few times before on this board, I think people really need to do their own research and not rely on what they see online. There are so many rental apartments that are not publicly listed especially when we're talking about some of the outer borough neighborhoods. Many of the ones that you do see on sites like StreetEasy are priced toward the high end and targeting non-locals who don't know any better.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:43 AM

444 posts, read 384,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

I believe that SO much.

Oh even before I did the bankruptcy I knew finding another apartment would be hell. I totally get it from a Landlord's side. I tell anyone that if you are thinking of filing move into apartment/ area you want to live in for the next 10 years before hand (if you can)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City