U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-15-2008, 06:37 PM

139 posts, read 563,362 times
sedgewick pjs is a dead neighborhood i was just over there my buddy stay up in there.going down university towards fordham is where you see alil bit of life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-19-2008, 01:55 PM

36 posts, read 136,421 times
Default Address

How is the area near Grand Concourse around the 200s? I saw this apartment that I liked at 3201 Grand Concourse.

Unread 05-19-2008, 07:18 PM

318 posts, read 688,039 times
My wife and I live on Mosholu, a few blocks to the east of Grand Concourse, and have had a good experience. It's pretty green and pretty safe. There's express subway service on the D train in the rush hours and the metro north, which make commuting convenient. There's also the 4 train, but it's always local. Not much nightlife here, but the zoo and botanical gardens are within walking distance.

Unread 05-19-2008, 07:51 PM

10,836 posts, read 12,981,471 times
what would it be for a white person to live near Morris/Creston Ave and 196th/197th?

Unread 05-25-2008, 11:24 PM

127 posts, read 348,946 times
I used to live on Valentine Avenue & 192nd St. I wanted to be close to my gym - Ballys. My building was not the best, hence why I moved back to my old neighborhood Concourse Village or Yankee Stadium area. Anyway, there were like 3 or 4 white people living in my building and I knew of others in the neighborhood. They were just like other tenants. I think you will be fine. Bronxites are not out to kill white people. Of course its not a jolly suburban neighborhood so you have to keep your eyes open. At the same time you will see people walking their dogs, doing their laundry, going shopping and other stuff. I was never robbed or had any incidents with neighbors. Also note that there are many hispanics who are white so you may not stand out as much you think, if that is an issue. I've come home past midnight from the fordham rd station and it is very quiet. I was so surprised. I've walked up fordham rd from fordham university at 2am and nothing happened to me.

I believe your area is a bit north of where I used to live. I think that area is called Bedford Park or it borders that neighborhood. Again, I think you will be fine. People in the area are used to seeing white Fordham University students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
what would it be for a white person to live near Morris/Creston Ave and 196th/197th?

Unread 02-02-2009, 12:16 AM

3 posts, read 4,613 times
I believe you're 40 years too late. The Grand Concourse, as well as the entire West Bronx, was once a show case neighborhood. Little to no crime, lots of mom and pop stores. I particularly enjoyed eating at the Hebrew National Restaurant immeditately north of W 174th Street on University Avenue. Today, the area has deteriorated to the point where it is better to move to a middle class area like Bensonhurst in Brooklyn. You'll have access to the BMT 4th Avenue subway and will have less fear of beiong mugged!

Unread 02-02-2009, 09:39 AM

6,140 posts, read 9,540,994 times
Blarree,your view is the one that is a little outdated at this point.Yes,The Grand Concourse went through a bad period but it has been undergoing a turnaround in the last 5 years or so. Many of the coops and condos have been sold to former Manhattanites and Brooklynites.... and some to "empty nesters" from Westchester who grew up there 50 or 60 years ago and are now moving back.

Unread 02-02-2009, 12:31 PM

731 posts, read 1,160,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
If you do decide to check out the restaurants etc, just walk teh concourse and walk down E clark to jerome. I wouldn't walk on walton if I were you especially north of 161. Oh speaking of restaurants, there was a chinese place by walton &170 that was busted for using non beef/chicken and this was back in 99. I'm not sure if there is a replacement but just an FYI.

Right at the intersection of gerard and jerome (not too far from the pct), is the BEST PHILLY STEAK in the bx. It is right there on jerome just before E clark. If you walk from Jerome & E-clark going towards the pct, it is on your left, right after a bodega and a small bar. Go in and grab one sometime and trust me, you'll have zero regrets. If the older guy (owner) is around, you've hit the jackpot. Make sure he makes it but I have to warn you, you might bite your tongue for it tastes so good.

There is an african restaurant on Edward Grant & 167 with quite a menu. You will be very well received and made to feel at home TRUST ME. There is a jamaican/african eatery right on walton&167 so you can try that as well. On jerome and marcy pl is a dominican joint with red carpet in front. Everytime I pass by or go in, i can't help but laugh . It's a sort of "classy" in the "hood" experience. My sure shot picks for you will be the joint on jerome&marcy and the one on 167 & grant. Good luck

Not only does the Concourse/High Bridge area has a whole lot of restaurants, but also has a high amount of barber shops and beauty salons that are all full on any given Saturday. One of the best is the Jordan Sport Barber Shop on 170th St and Edward L. Grant Hwy.

Unread 02-02-2009, 12:54 PM

8,727 posts, read 8,461,757 times
Here's the scoop on the nieghborhood....you will not be the ONLY white person in the neighborhood..FAR from it..the area SWARMS with people of all cultures/colors. Why? It is the boroughs main governmental district, the courthouse and other city services which have a high number of judges, attorneys, and similar workforce...many of which are white and are there day in and day out. Then there is Yankee stadium which brings in a huge amount of people from ALL OVER THE GLOBE...and they swarm the area. There are also an increasing number of people of means from all over the city that are moving into the area for the excellent housing stock, significant number of amenities, proximity to the city, employment, and affordability. If you are white in the neighborhood you are NOT out of place or unique..

Unread 02-16-2009, 11:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,613 times
Bluedog2: I hope you're right about the Grand Concourse's Renaissance. With it's lovley Art Deco designed buildings, it is sinful the way that once pristine neighborhood had deteriorated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City