Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 11:48 AM

332 posts, read 520,612 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm finally going to be checking NYC off the bucket list this week/weekend and have been working on my must-do bucket list. I live in Chicago and usually my vacations are in Jan/Feb so during that time of year sorry I'm going to LA or Mia --- so I'm very happy to get an opportunity to see NYC.

That said, I'm kinda leaning towards experiences that are distinct to NY that I might not be able to have in Chicago -- also when I travel if I'm going somewhere for the first time I want to do a handful (but not too many) of the "must see/tourist traps" aka Empire State bdg/Statue of Liberty/etc. I'm gay and definitely want to get a flavor of LGBT NYC but I also don't want to spend my entire time focusing on that. Recommendations (Stonewall I'll prolly do for the historic value)? I also just want to have an authentic trip and have fun!

I've been perusing https://www.nycgo.com/ and that site seems to be pretty awesome and lol it makes me want to do everything.

Here's the bucket list so far so please comment away:

4th st bball -- when would be the best time to see some good pickup ball?? Should I pack my own bball stuff and try to play?

Lombardi's?? NY pizza for sure -- good NY pizza

Stonewall Art museums -- which one(s)? -- MoMa/Met? Museum of sex?

Coney island -- seems cool but is it worth the time?

Statue of Liberty/Emp state bdg/Chrysler bdg (would probably only do one of these due to time)

Times square -- I actually really want to do this so this is probably happening

United nations bdg -- would love to see/is the tour worth it? Pyramid club??? UCB theater?

Neighborhoods I wanna check out -- please feel free to comment/add recommendations for specific spots to see:
East Village
Chelsea
Greenwich Village
Hell's Kitchen
Also -- blanket recommendations for theater and food are definitely welcome as well.

For places to stay -- assuming I can just google hotel searches and find something decent -- centrally located/clean/I can leave my luggage at during the day on Sunday after check-out as I fly back Sun nite.

Thank you very much in advance!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 01:13 PM

1,235 posts, read 726,687 times
check out SoHo
the Brooklyn Promenade
New World Trade Center
Rockefeller Center
The High Line

Central Park Zoo (not far from Museum Mile) check for Strawberry Field

Guggenheim
MoMA
Museum of Natural History
Hayden Planetarium

If you want to see a Broadway show, I recommend purchasing in advance online. Or, you can go stand at the long tckts booth line in Times Square.

For seeing a movie, get the Fandango App as their are movie theaters all over the city

You should check online for "menu pages" that will give you loads of food opportunities broken down by food type and neighborhood even with reviews.

It is in your best interest to secure a hotel immediately. You can't come to NYC without a hotel. This is, NYC and many people travel to NYC for business and rooms can be a problem (especially during this time of year). You're not the only tourist going. Depending on what your budget is, the Meat Packing District has a nice hotel called the Gansevoort. It has a roof top bar/lounge.

Otherwise, secure a hotel room quick fast.

Last edited by MyGoldenLife; 08-13-2017 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Add Accommodations

Old 08-13-2017, 01:40 PM

5,229 posts, read 3,568,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
Hello all,

That said, I'm kinda leaning towards experiences that are distinct to NY that I might not be able to have in Chicago -- also when I travel if I'm going somewhere for the first time I want to do a handful (but not too many) of the "must see/tourist traps" aka Empire State bdg/Statue of Liberty/etc.

An alternative to standing in a very long line to see a high viewpoint is to go to the Top of The Rock @ Rockefeller Ctr, shorter line, can get a drink & an equally awesome view that includes the ESB. The Statue of Liberty trip is worth it if you want to visit Ellis island, otherwise just take the free Staten Island Ferry for a free NY Harbor cruise. If you do want to go to Liberty/Ellis get your tickets online before & you can jump ahead the long line to board.

If the weather is really hot take a break on the new East River ferries.

I'm gay and definitely want to get a flavor of LGBT NYC but I also don't want to spend my entire time focusing on that. Recommendations (Stonewall I'll prolly do for the historic value)? I also just want to have an authentic trip and have fun!

I've been perusing https://www.nycgo.com/ and that site seems to be pretty awesome and lol it makes me want to do everything.

Here's the bucket list so far so please comment away:

4th st bball -- when would be the best time to see some good pickup ball?? Should I pack my own bball stuff and try to play?
You better be f---ing good!

Lombardi's?? NY pizza for sure -- good NY pizza

Stonewall Art museums -- which one(s)? -- MoMa/Met? Museum of sex?

The Met is huge & worth it, see the temple & pick one or 2 other galleries so you don't get museum fatigue, there is a roof bar & Fri 6pm jazz, you can contribute what you wish for entrance; MOMA Fri 4pm free admission.

Coney island -- seems cool but is it worth the time?

Statue of Liberty/Emp state bdg/Chrysler bdg (would probably only do one of these due to time)

Times square -- I actually really want to do this so this is probably happening

I would go here after dark, don't eat around here. I would see a show too

United nations bdg -- would love to see/is the tour worth it? Pyramid club??? UCB theater?

Neighborhoods I wanna check out -- please feel free to comment/add recommendations for specific spots to see:
East Village
Chelsea Gay Central, esp around 8th Ave
Greenwich Village
Hell's Kitchen
Chinatown, Nolita, Williamsburg

Also -- blanket recommendations for theater and food are definitely welcome as well.

For places to stay -- assuming I can just google hotel searches and find something decent -- centrally located/clean/I can leave my luggage at during the day on Sunday after check-out as I fly back Sun nite.

Thank you very much in advance!!!!
I would book online in advance anything/place that is a must see/eat.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:24 PM

104 posts, read 115,828 times
Island Oyster is a great spot to check out. It's a fairly new oyster bar on Governor's Island. Great atmosphere with great views of the city. I checked it out over the weekend with friends. Will be going again soon.You get to the island via the East River Ferry.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:01 PM

15,489 posts, read 15,462,023 times
If this was so important to you that you were regarding it in terms of a bucket list - my first question would be, why didn't you buy one or two guidebooks, instead of just scrolling around a government tourism website? Also suggest you look at periodicals like New Yorker, Time Out New York, Village Voice, and the New York Times. There are already overviews about pizza that have been posted here, so you could try searching. The Chowhound website is also a good place for restaurant questions - although they won't respond much to requests for "blanket information."

Old 08-14-2017, 06:48 AM

43,295 posts, read 44,015,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post

If you want to see a Broadway show, I recommend purchasing in advance online. Or, you can go stand at the long tckts booth line in Times Square.
The TKTS booth in Times Square is not the only option. There are 2 more TKTS booths - one near the South Street Seaport in Lower Manhattan and another one a few blocks south of Lincoln Center which is indoors & air-conditioned! These 2 locations also sell tickets for matinees the day before the shows which the Times Square location does not.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:49 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,594,394 times
I recommend the Brooklyn Transit Museum and Tenement Museum to get a glimpse into the late 1800s/early 1900s most crowded slum of America (and I think the world at the time).

Old 08-14-2017, 11:58 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,198,051 times
I didn't see "eat buttered roll" on your list. Otherwise, pretty good.

Have a nice time.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:02 PM

12,101 posts, read 16,992,702 times
NYC is set up similar to Chicago, so it will feel similar.

It's pretty unfortunate, but a lot of what makes/made New York City, New York City was the neighborhoods and the character of the stores, bars, and local establishments.

A lot of that in the past 10-20 years has been replaced by corporate chain stores and wealthy boutiques and galleries. While neighborhood sightseeing is still a worthwhile venture, they kind of blend into each other. IMHO, a lot of what made NYC great ... is gone.

That said, the city's still got plenty, especially if you're more into high shelf.

Anyway, here's what I would recommend that's different.

-Times Square is a must. Going to a Broadway show is a must.

-St. Marks Place. Not what it used to be, but still cool.

-Koreatown. Chinatown is huge and you must go, but I think Koreatown is more unique and very easy to hit if you have a short time. You can pair this with the Empire State.

-For museums I would do Moma and Guggenheim.

-Roosevelt Tram

-The High Line

Old 08-14-2017, 01:42 PM

43,295 posts, read 44,015,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I recommend the Brooklyn Transit Museum and Tenement Museum to get a glimpse into the late 1800s/early 1900s most crowded slum of America (and I think the world at the time).
I haven't been to the Tenement Museum but I do second a visit to the Transit Museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City