Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 12:52 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Well there isn't one universal way of speaking Spanish. In general people in coastal areas throughout Latin America speak "chopped-up" Spanish. Of course this varies depending on situation and setting too...
There's Spanish and there's an entire different language. Am thinking you know the difference between the two. One thing to use a different word that is common in the country or whatever, and another to create a language in and of itself. 90% of Spanish is used all over the place. It's the 10% that makes the difference from country to country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 01:00 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
There's Spanish and there's an entire different language. Am thinking you know the difference between the two. One thing to use a different word that is common in the country or whatever, and another to create a language in and of itself. 90% of Spanish is used all over the place. It's the 10% that makes the difference from country to country.
Every Spanish speaking Latin American country speaks a version of Spanish and within each country there are dialects and variations. "Como tu ta loko" is informal Dominican Spanish, you think upper class Dominicans speak to each other like that or any Dominican conducting formal business is speaking that way?

Btw I want to make it clear that there is nothing wrong with "como tu ta loko" . It's these type of colloquialisms that make each country unique although they all speak Spanish.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Every Latin American country speaks a version of Spanish and within each country there are dialects and variations. "Como tu ta loko" is informal Dominican Spanish, you think upper class Dominicans speak to each other like that or conduct business speaking that way?

Btw there is nothing wrong "como tu ta loko" . It's these type of colloquialisms that make each country unique although they all speak Spanish.
*LOL* Thing is that isn't really proper Spanish and seems like the Dominicans I meet, be it from the capital, Santiago or what have you, all speak exactly the same and can't speak proper Spanish nor write it.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
*LOL* Thing is that isn't really proper Spanish and seems like the Dominicans I meet, be it from the capital, Santiago or what have you, all speak exactly the same and can't speak proper Spanish nor write it.
Simply inaccurate. You just haven't been around enough educated Dominicans. Even my parents who had pretty basic educations speak and write formal Spanish.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:08 PM

Anyway, get back on topic...

Old 08-14-2017, 01:19 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
Quote:
I don't understand why you can't be proud to be American or to be living here but can't also celebrate your cultural background. What is the big issue? When certain groups do it it's great when the brown folks do it, it's a problem...
I'm guessing that the only parades allowed should be the Fourth of July parades since being an American seems to mean that you forget all about your heritage and culture.

Cultural parades allow people to connect with their culture and to show it off to other peoples. If you don't like that, you can make plans not to be in that area where the parade is until it is over. These parades are usually on the same day each year and end before nightfall.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Simply inaccurate. You just haven't been around enough educated Dominicans. Even my parents who had pretty basic educations speak and write formal Spanish.
Simply the truth.

Quote:
Anyway, get back on topic...
Back to topic... Do not see a big deal with the parade, but it should be easier to get through it. Best thing to do is avoid the things entirely and wait until they're over or whatever.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:29 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Simply the truth.

Back to topic... Do not see a big deal with the parade, but it should be easier to get through it. Best thing to do is avoid the things entirely and wait until they're over or whatever.
Simply inaccurate. You are crazy in you believe you can generalize an entire country. I was born in DR and have been several people who were born in DR and in the USA that can speak and write formal Spanish.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Simply inaccurate. You are crazy in you believe you can generalize an entire country. I was born in DR and have been several people who were born in DR and in the USA that can speak and write formal Spanish.
Tato' tato' . Can re-read what I said earlier. Those several people are likely far *less* than what I've encountered. *LOL* Just saying what is said in general, which is that Dominicans speak the worst Spanish around (English too far that matter). That's always been said by many. So far I have yet to meet Dominicans that contradict that statement.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:36 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Just saying what is said in general, which is that Dominicans speak the worst Spanish around

Try Chavacano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City